WWM participants introduce yourselves!

rated by 0 users
This post has 67 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 20,320
Allison Malafronte Posted: 11 Jun 2009 10:32 AM

To pick up where Daniel Keys left off with his, "Weekend With the Masters: So Who's Going?", I would like to start a forum where Weekend With the Masters participants can get to know one another, ask questions related to the event, and get excited about the quickly approaching 9/9/09 date!

We are sending out an e-blast to all WWM registrants next week with some general information about how to prepare and plan for your WWM experience, and part of that e-blast has a direct link over to this forum so you can connect with your fellow WWMers. So, on behalf of the American Artist and WWM staff, welcome and please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about what you hope to get out of the event!

Big Smile

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 6,150
Trusted Users

Great idea Allison!

This event will actually contain the first set of workshops that I've ever participated in, so it's very exciting for me. I'll be taking one from Jeremy Lipking, Daniel Gerhartz, and hopefully Quang Ho.

I've heard that many art supplies cannot accompany me on my flight to Colorado, so I plan to utilize the art supply store that will be sponsoring the event. I understand that they'll have a make-shift store set up at the Art Center during the weekend that we're all there, and I can order things ahead of time letting them know what classes I'll be taking, and what I'll need. This works for me, and I appreciate it being available.

I hope to grasp - and retain - all of the information given out over the course of the "weekend", and have many of my own students - from my on-going workshops - that I know are anxious to receive the knowledge secondhand.

See everyone in Colorado!

-Daniel

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 995

Hi,  I am really debating whether to make this trip as I can only attend Friday and Saturday morning for 1/2 days.  Just a comment:  Karlene

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 20,320

Daniel, thanks for the comments! I'm glad you mentioned about bringing what you learn at WWM back to your students--that circle of sharing knowledge and skill is what this event is all about.

Thanks for also mentioning the Utrecht and Meininger on-site store. They have set up an online system for all of the WWM participants to pre-order materials for your workshops if you choose, so that you can pick them up once on-site and don't have to travel with them. For more information, click here.

Karlene, how far away are you from Colorado Springs? Would it be a plane ride to WWM or a drive? If it's just a drive, it might be worth it to just come for those half days on Friday and Saturday? Through our Pay-Per-Class option you can sign up for whatever remaining demos and lectures are left on those days. There are demonstrations and drawing workshops still open on Friday by a number of great artists and there is also the "Leffel & Lipking" demo in the evening, followed by a panel discussion on the various challenges and opportunities representational artists have face over the last few decades. Saturday is almost all sold out, but there is one or two half-day demos you could still get in to, and our Saturday night Meet the Masters reception, American Artist auction/benefit, and Mentorship panel discussion is that night as well.

Let me know if you need help choosing or deciding on classes, and we certainly hope to see you in September!

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 750

Allison-

What is the required dress for evening events (Movie, Schmid Panel, Leffel & Lipking, Benefit & Panel Discussion)?

Pete

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 270

I am delighted to be coming to this event and getting to know more artists.  I am a plein air painter and still life artist.  I work, at present in the Hudson Valley.

I will be taking 1 day with Quan Ho.  I am not  to familiar with his work, but I like what I have seen.  Master class with Kevin MacPherson,  Joseph McGurl, and demo with Leffel. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 20,320

Hi, Pete,

Good question--I would say the dress for the evening panels and demos would be whatever you're most comfortable in (you'll probably want to change out of your painting clothes, but other than that you can be pretty casual), and then for the Saturday night reception, auction, and panel discussion I would say business-casual dress would be best.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 20,320

That's great Nancy! Sounds like you secured spots in some great workshops. You will really enjoy the still life workshop with Quang. He is not only an extremely skilled painter but he has a very interesting visual approach and really stresses bringing understanding and meaning to the painting process. You will be equally delighted with Kevin Macpherson and Joseph McGurl's workshops--two slightly different approaches to landscape (Kevin is a strong colorist in the California Impressionist style and Joseph has almost a classical approach to the landscape with lots of light!) but equally impressive. And of course the Leffel demo will be something wonderful to see!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 405

Hi all-

My name is Cynthia McBride and I am signed up for mostly Plein Air full day workshops for WWTM.  Is anyone else doing Scott Christensen, Kevin Macpherson, Frank Serrano? 

FYI,  I live in Colorado Springs, so if anyone has any questions regarding the city, weather . . . . whatever, I'll be happy to answer regarding what I do know and/or run errands for any of you ahead of time that need doing.  

Daniel, have you considered mailing or FedExing your supplies?  I've done that before when traveling.  Just have it all sent to my hotel and it's ready when I get there.  That is unless you'd like a bunch of new paint, which I can certainly identify with.  Wink

Cynthia

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 6,150
Trusted Users

Hi Cynthia! Thanks for offering all of your insight regarding Colorado Springs. I am curious to see what the weather will be, and what to plan for clothing-wise. I've only been there once, but that was long ago.

As to shipping supplies ahead, I did think of it and will consider doing so. I paint almost everyday though, so purchasing new supplies while there would work as well; I just need to factor it into my budget.

All the best, and I look forward to meeting everyone in Colorado!

-Daniel

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 270

I will be in MacPherson's plein air Master Class (I like the sound of that).   If you are taking many plein airs what do you think of have to purchase the myriad of materials.  I'm finding it costly.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 750

Nancy-

I would suggest contacting the instructor. If the instructor has a website, there is usually a "contact" link that spawns an email. That's what I did and was able to substitute some supplies for what I already had, saving some money.

Sherrie McGraw was VERY gracious and answered all my questions.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 1,310

I'll be there for the whole thing, with the Mrs in tow.  We both are taking masters workshops with Frank Serrano and Joseph McGurl.(I think). We were so excited when registration started, yet found that after a couple of hours, most everything was booked.   We've packed our schedule.  The Mrs is more of a beginner, yet has much more talent than she gives herself credit. 

We both look forward to stimulation and inspiration.  I only paint in spurts because of work, but retirement is close.  I would love the chance to paint when I'm fresh and not pooped(a fitting word for a gastroenterologist, isn't it?)

We plan on having one large suitcase with paintboxes etc as checked baggage.  I think everything will fit.  We travel light, otherwise.  I don't think paints in tube are a problem in checked luggage, but will have to get mineral spirits, medium, etc there, I'm sure.

Then there is the issue of bringing back the paintings.  Who is doing what?  I have to look to see what size panels the instructors want.  small, I'm sure.  I've seen the carriers, but don't have one.  It adds more bulk to a stretched load.  Has AA given thought to seeing if UPS or FEDEX could have a shipping station at the main hotel.  I'm sure there are going to be enough people needing to get things back to justify.

As with Daniel, we've never taken a workshop before, so harbour a good bit of anxiety mixed with the fun excitement.

Phillip

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 525

Hello Everyone

My name is Chuck Law. I'll be flying in from Linwood, New Jersey ( near Atlantic City ) I started painting plein air two years ago following a career of mostly still lifes. I started painting professionally in 2005.

I'm thrilled to be taking landscape workshops with Kevin Macpherson, Joseph Mcgurl and a few others. This will be my first workshop experience since learning how to paint with oils some 15 years ago. 

I was planning on finding a workshop closer to home, but the lure of experiencing different master painters as well as seeing Richard Schmid and David Leffel is an oppurtunity I did not want to miss.

I was also wondering about shipping home wet paintings...that is if I have any I really want to keep!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 405

Chuck,

You bring up a good point, what to do with wet paintings.  First let me tell you that you if you are from an area of the country that typically has high humidity you may be surprised how quickly oil paint dries in Colorado.  If you do tend to lay down a lot of thick paint on your paintings, they will still be wet when you depart, if not, you might find panels are dry to the touch after only a day or so here in the Springs.  

As I'm sure you are aware, there are also any number of options available using 'wet carrier' boxes, but if you don't want to do this or, as I suspect with many, already are flying in with too much in the way of equipment, there is a third option.  If you would like to leave your really wet painting/s here until it dries enough to mail or ship home I will be happy to babysit them here at my house in the Springs and send them on to you when they are dry enough to travel.  The US Postal service has set fees for different sizes of boxes sent to anywhere in the country.  You could buy postage and a box to fit your painting/s and leave it with me to send when it is dry.  I would have no problem doing this for any of my fellow WWTM artists. 

Cynthia   http://hillismcbride.com/

Page 1 of 5 (68 items) 12345Next
| RSS