Weekend with the Masters 2010

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075

Thanks, I finally decided to keep the car throughout the event. I'll deal with the $27 nightly parking, etc. Thank goodness I'm not diabetic if there is no time to eat. Anyway, I plan on eating even if  I need to leave early. Having lunch with a group is a good experience. Friendships are formed, information is shared...I was wondering about breakfast since the Serrano demo starts at 5:30 am and then my Lipking class starts at 9am. It is 7am EST here as I type and it's a bit dark. In a few weeks it will be even darker probably til 8am. My guess is that I really won't see a morning demo.

I think your smart to go to demos only and do more socializing. You can learn a lot socializing sometimes more than painting. I was starting to think this myself. I am taking all day workshops with Lipking, Anderson, and Quango Ho. Yet I'd like to take a Plein Air class considering the area of the event. I have not painted for many many years and this is a way to motivate myself to move forward.I 'd change a workshop to demos instead, but then I will have overpaid for the event.

If I go next year, I think I will watch listen, and socialize.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 120

Hi Kat,

Would you like to meet there at the event and maybe attend some of the Demos together? Like, e.g. Schmid demo? What Demos are you attending?

it would also be nice to have a group of people get together for dinner after the opening reception.

Tatyana.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075

Sounds Good. I googled you and found a photo so I'll look for you. I am signed up for Lefell, Schmidt, and Przewodek.   Having a group together for dinner is a good idea as well. (especially since I may be sleepy by then or have eaten earlier.) The more the merrier.

Are you familiar with any of the plein air instructors? Have you taken any of their classes? I will most likely switch one of my workshops (Anderson or Quang Ho) to Pinkham, or Serrano. I can find demos and info on Serrano &  Przewodek but not anything on Pinkham. I really like to know the philosophy and approach of an instructor before taking the class. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 120

Hi Kat,

it is strange that I replied to you yesterday but when I clicked the "Post" button, it informed me that the site mediator has to approve the posting. And then my reply never showed up. maybe it was because when I was talking about Przewodek style, I included some links to The Henry Hensche Foundation, telling you that she uses his teaching methods since she studied under him. Maybe this site does not allow links. Anyway, I'll try posting again but this time without any links.

Last year I took a workshop with Frank Serano (among other master-instructors) and I liked it. It seems like everyone in that workshop liked his teaching methods and his personality. He connected really well with students of all levels from beginners to advanced. Other plein air instructors I took workshops with included Kevin Macpherson, Scott Christensen, Whitcomb. But they are not on your list of options. 

Hope this is helpful.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,075

There is something quirky about posting every now and then. My previous post showed up in my email, but it did not post for a full day!  

I've been checking into Przewodek and bought a few books by Hensche, Hawthorne and Henri. The "H" series of books. Since I'm going to her lecture I think I'd rather take a workshop with Serrano or Pinkham. I looked at their websites and like both of their styles. I'm leaning towards Pinkham because I really would like to shake up my color usage. I have heard Serrano is a good teacher. The only issue I have is that I need to choose between dropping Quang Ho or Anderson( both portrait). I like the loose fluidity of Anderson, but hear that Quang Ho is an excellent teacher. I'm debating on even taking a week long workshop with him at some point in time. .. All this could have been avoided if I just hit that refresh button when registering (my first choice classes filled even though I waited for registration to come online a half hour before.) Anyway I'm actually learning alot by looking into the instructors online, so it's worth it. 

• Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) Prev12
| RSS