New Blog on "Art Marketing Ideas"

This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 18 Nov 2008 8:02 AM

Hi fellow artists.

I wrote a blog this morning for the "Art Marketing Ideas" group. It's about what artists can do to get into high visiblity galleries - ya know, the kind that we see advertise in art magazines?

I've worked with some of these galleries and have many personal friends in the art world who are currently in these top galleries and selling well. They all followed a similar path to get there - and I wrote more about it in the blog;

Please feel free to comment or ask further questions about this topic - at the end of the blog. I'm interested to hear what you all think.

Lori

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,930
Karyn wrote
on 19 Nov 2008 7:30 AM

Hi Lori,

That sounds really interesting.  I was wondering if you would consider posting your blog, or even summarizing here in this thread for those of us who aren't members of the Group at this point.  This is really valuable information, and I'd love to see your insights.

Karyn

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 19 Nov 2008 8:08 AM

Karyn,

Thanks for suggesting that I post it here. I hope it won't be too long, but you can easily join the other group since I'll be posting my blogs there - hopefully - on a consistent basis.

Here's the Blog:

I'm beginning a new series of blogs that investigate how artists get into the most visible galleries... by that I mean nationally recognized galleries.  Many of my personal friends are there, and they all have seemed to follow a similar route.

Some of you artists out there will make a very decent living without being known on a national level, but others will not be happy until they attain national recognition.  The road to these "bright lights" and articles in major collector's magazines is very steep, has rough pavement, and requires that your work compete with the best in the country. According to gallery dealers, a professional portfolio will do nothing for you if your work will not appeal to their collectors.

On the other hand, if you've got a substantial body of work, that is consistent in style and perhaps in subject matter, you may be ready to go to the next level of gallery. I advise working in a series so that you can focus on and get very good at one thing.  When you've got 10 to 20 knock your socks off paintings in a recognizable style, you'll be ready to submit to galleries.  Your work must be as good as what that particular gallery already sells.

If you want to test your work, to see if it rates - enter national competitions.  Although the judgments are subjective, if you do get an award or are even listed as an honorable mention, this will carry weight with gallery owners.  As Steve Doherty said in another blog on this forum, if the competition lets you enter 3 pieces, go ahead and enter 3. This is so that the judges can see whether the quality and style of your work is consistent.

When you consider the cost of advertising, entering competitions is a relatively inexpensive way to get your work seen by a lot of people. Getting your work published in magazines also lends credibility to your image as a top notch artist.

BUT! Before you enter shows, make sure your work is really good.  Learn all  you can about how to make your art full of quality by getting great instruction.  Study and then practice drawing or painting every day.  We artists just don't spend enough time practicing, and then we wonder why we feel so insecure when we step up the plate.  Great performances come after much focused practice.

So don't hesitate any longer. Get on the train to better artwork... get good... get a body of work... enter shows... get recognition.

If you enter a lot of shows and never get noticed, it's time to take a serious look at your work and perhaps dedicate a renewed interest in learning to be a better artist.  Never give up.  It takes work and focus, but you can most likely get there with the right training and persistence.

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,930
Karyn wrote
on 19 Nov 2008 8:21 AM

Wow, thank you Lori.  I appreciate this input, and I'm sure that many others will, too.  Nicely put together and solid advice. 

Smile

And thank you for posting here, too.

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
on 30 Nov 2009 11:41 AM

Karyn -- I read your article and loved it -- would you help me please -- I would like to start a blog on this site, but I am not sure how to do it -- thanks for your help. 

Diane Leonard

DianeLeonard.com

Diane@DianeLeonard.com

Diane Leonard

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,780
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 30 Nov 2009 6:12 PM

Where IS the art marketing group???

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,930
Karyn wrote
on 4 Dec 2009 11:50 AM

Hi Diane,

Individuals don't have blogs on our site, but I do encourage people to use the forums to post content that they would like to share with the membership.  If you have art marketing, business or even lessons you would like to post, please do.  We just don't allow promotional content.

Robin,

There is no longer a group for art marketing or business on the site.  Sorry about that.

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 5 Dec 2009 7:52 AM

I'll be sure and touch on art marketing topics in "The Artist Life" blog on this forum. The way art is sold is rapidly changing because of the Internet and artist web sites. Commercial galleries are still a great way to go for some artists,but for many of us "less famous" artists, we can do more today to sell on our own than ever before.

Lori

www.loriwords.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 379
Points 5,835
on 6 Jan 2010 12:35 PM

Received eMail regarding a book on marketing and passing along FYI:  "Starving" to Successful:  The Artists Guide to Getting Into Galleries and Selling More Art by J. Jason Horejs.   You can go to xanadugallery.com for more information.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 8 Jan 2010 7:00 AM

Yes, Valerie... I've heard tons of good things about "Starving to Successful". Thanks for posting this info.

www.loriwords.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
on 15 Aug 2013 3:13 AM

Yeah, that seems to be perfect idea, actually some artist even have their own online and print portfolio. Other even invest on making adhesive digital color copies for their artwork galleries shot and promote it to various persons, and since it is adhesive type, this mostly usable in many purposes and at the same time promoting the artwork being printed.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 8,600
Joseph Louis wrote
on 15 Aug 2013 7:40 AM

An artist should benefit from the resources offered by the Internet, scanning their artwork professionally and printing these in more innovative formats currently selling their designs to companies, as well as limit the prints signed and numbered (limited edition). Once the impressions the ones in the market, will sell the original with much higher prices as this is revalued on the network.

Every artist is or is not a professional art can sell their work in one way or another, the Internet is a shuttle to present, sell and be known not wasted! Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
darwinnewman wrote
on 12 Aug 2014 10:21 PM

Join this workshop at http://eatmywords.com/services/workshops, there you can get several business and marketing ideas.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS