Colored pencil on topographical map.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,750
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 30 Nov 2009 7:11 PM

Wow!!!  Is it literally a map or did you draw the map? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 658
Points 6,165
Paulk wrote
on 18 Dec 2009 2:39 PM

Nelson

This is a really well done drawing. I  like that you captured thoughtful look to the bear, and the map adds to the piece as well. Nice work!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 30 Dec 2009 9:45 AM

I originally put this question under mixed media, but this may be a more appropriate spot to post it. I have already gotten some good information on painting fur from several different people and owe a special thanks to Robin; however, I think I have pinpointed my real question. Evidently, colored pencils are good to use for this along with the watercolor. Does the colored pencil go under or on top of the watercolor, and should it be regular colored pencil or watercolor pencils? Does regular pencil cause the watercolor to resist? Is the best way a combination of both?

Thanks in advance for any information and insight.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 31 Dec 2009 8:50 PM

OK, I am getting ready to attack my cat (portrait that is -- I don't have a cat). This is a study. I just couldn't make myself pick up the paintbrush and start in on my 300 lb. 1/4 sheet of Arches, so I'm am doing a fall-back study first. Of course it will probably come out really neat because I will be relaxed and although I want it to be good, chances are I will get a looser, more painterly look. Here is hoping for the best on both -- my study and my painting. I'll let you all know how things work out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 3,195
on 1 Jan 2010 6:32 AM

Good luck Margo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,750
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 1 Jan 2010 2:10 PM

Hi, Margo, I'm sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

I have tried watercolor washes both before and after regular wax cps (prismacolors).  If you do it after, it dulls the cp but doesnn't really resist.  Prismas are very full of pigment, so maybe a more inexpensive brand would do that.  If you do it before, the somewhat translucent cps can be layered right over it.  I personally don't like it because I don't like watercolor paper for cps...so toothy...and I don't like the way the wash changes the characteristics of the paper.  But there's plenty of people who combine both.  I've also used them over acrylics and over ink and over pastels.

The reason I tried it was to try and rush the first layers into full coverage, and I get that now by using a dry brush to kind of push the prismas into the pits of the paper.

I have watercolor pencils, but never really used them beyond a few aceos I sold that were wc pencils and ink.  But if you're doing a wash, why not use regular watercolor?  What I found with the pencils was that the color after adding the water was wildly unpredictable. 

Regular colored pencils or watercolor ones can be used effectively just adding details after you get a fairly finished watercolor painting done. 

Does that answer?  That's my experience.  I have limited experience with other brands of cps, I have colorsofts but they are much smearier so I use them only at the end of my children's portraits for a nice smooth skin tone.  Again, I use a dry brush to blend.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 1 Jan 2010 2:25 PM

Thanks, Robin, this is great information.

Anyone else with more views on this?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 215
Michaels Art wrote
on 1 Jan 2010 11:29 PM

Nelson; Excellent shading technics and the bear's fur techture is very nice...Great Job. Did you draw the map also or just transpose the bear on top?

Art by Michael

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 2 Jan 2010 1:45 PM

I stuck with watercolor because the addition of fur in pencil seemed like a lot of extra work. Tell me what you think.   Forums » Discussions by Medium » Watermedia » Cat study in watercolor

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 1,325
riana wrote
on 1 Dec 2010 2:12 AM

Wow! Excellent detail- I love how his face "comes out of the map" so real!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
ElaineVech wrote
on 2 Jan 2011 7:39 AM

Love your bear and the talent you show with colored pencil...also admire your creativity in choosing a map support! I'm new to colored pencil and trying various supports: add one more to the list!

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 515
Nelson2 wrote
on 2 Jan 2011 8:23 PM

Thanks Elaine

The bear was drawn on a standard USGS topographical map. It takes colored pencil fairly well although you are limited in layering color due to the lack of tooth in the paper.

I have lately become interested in cartography as art.  The ancient maps, charts and compass roses of long ago were art indeed up to and including the Civil War. Compare that to a state highway map of today....ugly.  Topographical maps of remote areas do, possess an artistic signiture in the curves of the elevation lines, rivers and trails.

I've been commissioned to draw maps of large tracks of land and estates. placing art around and over the map. (email me and I'll send you a sample...canoerun45@yahoo.com)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,050
Points 46,385
on 2 Jan 2011 11:18 PM

Hello Nelson, Would you verify the e-mail dress for writing to you to see a sample map? Thanks very much.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 170
on 20 Jan 2011 9:44 AM

This is a wonderfully original idea.  I enjoy drawing and painting wildlife of my state, Michigan, i would have never thought of this.  The bear is perfect and maps are truely art!

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 515
Nelson2 wrote
on 29 Nov 2009 9:05 PM

Colored pencil on topographical map.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,750
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 30 Nov 2009 7:11 PM

Wow!!!  Is it literally a map or did you draw the map? 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 658
Points 6,165
Paulk wrote
on 18 Dec 2009 2:39 PM

Nelson

This is a really well done drawing. I  like that you captured thoughtful look to the bear, and the map adds to the piece as well. Nice work!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 30 Dec 2009 9:45 AM

I originally put this question under mixed media, but this may be a more appropriate spot to post it. I have already gotten some good information on painting fur from several different people and owe a special thanks to Robin; however, I think I have pinpointed my real question. Evidently, colored pencils are good to use for this along with the watercolor. Does the colored pencil go under or on top of the watercolor, and should it be regular colored pencil or watercolor pencils? Does regular pencil cause the watercolor to resist? Is the best way a combination of both?

Thanks in advance for any information and insight.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 31 Dec 2009 8:50 PM

OK, I am getting ready to attack my cat (portrait that is -- I don't have a cat). This is a study. I just couldn't make myself pick up the paintbrush and start in on my 300 lb. 1/4 sheet of Arches, so I'm am doing a fall-back study first. Of course it will probably come out really neat because I will be relaxed and although I want it to be good, chances are I will get a looser, more painterly look. Here is hoping for the best on both -- my study and my painting. I'll let you all know how things work out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 3,195
on 1 Jan 2010 6:32 AM

Good luck Margo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,750
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 1 Jan 2010 2:10 PM

Hi, Margo, I'm sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

I have tried watercolor washes both before and after regular wax cps (prismacolors).  If you do it after, it dulls the cp but doesnn't really resist.  Prismas are very full of pigment, so maybe a more inexpensive brand would do that.  If you do it before, the somewhat translucent cps can be layered right over it.  I personally don't like it because I don't like watercolor paper for cps...so toothy...and I don't like the way the wash changes the characteristics of the paper.  But there's plenty of people who combine both.  I've also used them over acrylics and over ink and over pastels.

The reason I tried it was to try and rush the first layers into full coverage, and I get that now by using a dry brush to kind of push the prismas into the pits of the paper.

I have watercolor pencils, but never really used them beyond a few aceos I sold that were wc pencils and ink.  But if you're doing a wash, why not use regular watercolor?  What I found with the pencils was that the color after adding the water was wildly unpredictable. 

Regular colored pencils or watercolor ones can be used effectively just adding details after you get a fairly finished watercolor painting done. 

Does that answer?  That's my experience.  I have limited experience with other brands of cps, I have colorsofts but they are much smearier so I use them only at the end of my children's portraits for a nice smooth skin tone.  Again, I use a dry brush to blend.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 1 Jan 2010 2:25 PM

Thanks, Robin, this is great information.

Anyone else with more views on this?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 215
Michaels Art wrote
on 1 Jan 2010 11:29 PM

Nelson; Excellent shading technics and the bear's fur techture is very nice...Great Job. Did you draw the map also or just transpose the bear on top?

Art by Michael

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,251
Points 51,645
Margo5 wrote
on 2 Jan 2010 1:45 PM

I stuck with watercolor because the addition of fur in pencil seemed like a lot of extra work. Tell me what you think.   Forums » Discussions by Medium » Watermedia » Cat study in watercolor

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 1,325
riana wrote
on 1 Dec 2010 2:12 AM

Wow! Excellent detail- I love how his face "comes out of the map" so real!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
ElaineVech wrote
on 2 Jan 2011 7:39 AM

Love your bear and the talent you show with colored pencil...also admire your creativity in choosing a map support! I'm new to colored pencil and trying various supports: add one more to the list!

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 515
Nelson2 wrote
on 2 Jan 2011 8:23 PM

Thanks Elaine

The bear was drawn on a standard USGS topographical map. It takes colored pencil fairly well although you are limited in layering color due to the lack of tooth in the paper.

I have lately become interested in cartography as art.  The ancient maps, charts and compass roses of long ago were art indeed up to and including the Civil War. Compare that to a state highway map of today....ugly.  Topographical maps of remote areas do, possess an artistic signiture in the curves of the elevation lines, rivers and trails.

I've been commissioned to draw maps of large tracks of land and estates. placing art around and over the map. (email me and I'll send you a sample...canoerun45@yahoo.com)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,050
Points 46,385
on 2 Jan 2011 11:18 PM

Hello Nelson, Would you verify the e-mail dress for writing to you to see a sample map? Thanks very much.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 170
on 20 Jan 2011 9:44 AM

This is a wonderfully original idea.  I enjoy drawing and painting wildlife of my state, Michigan, i would have never thought of this.  The bear is perfect and maps are truely art!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS