Advise on painting reflections on water please.

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 135
Large Coffee wrote
on 13 Mar 2015 1:58 AM

I've started focusing on fall reflections on lakes.  If anyone has hints or knows rule of water, ripples, waves please let me know.  

These are my latest paintings, I try to paint every week, its difficult when working full time but so far doable.  And does anyone use a white light bulb?  I thought it might extend the hours I have to paint in the winter.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 401
Points 6,120
on 13 Mar 2015 8:43 AM

On Google, Lori McNee has an article on Tips for painting water and reflections that is quite detailed.  I recall years ago seeing a very studious book that showed with arrows and diagrams how reflections happen, I couldn't see it when I took a quick glance on Google just now.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 135
Large Coffee wrote
on 13 Mar 2015 7:58 PM

Thank you, I'm looking that up now!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 5
MJCannedy wrote
on 14 Mar 2015 11:43 AM

Reflections on water are vertical.  Mask off location of ripples before painting reflections in watercolor.  Ripples can be added after reflections are "pulled down" in other mediums. 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105
4sadie wrote
on 17 Mar 2015 3:47 AM

I use two Ottlites which are available at Michaels or Amazon.  My studio has only one window and the Ottlites clear up the shadows.

When painting reflections with acrylics I use a medium, such as Extenders or Canvas gel, these mediums lengthen the trying time, giving you the opportunity to move the paint around but not lose the intensity of colour. 

In the middle picture your reflections are better while in the bottom picture it looks like there are trees growing out of the water.

You have the right idea, you have great movement.  Practice will get you to where you want to be.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS