All Media Challenge 46 - September 2014

This post has 71 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Points 14,285
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 5:28 PM

WELCOME TO THE SEPTEMBER ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE!

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to crop, change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting! 

Theme: This months theme is things in motion. It includes objects constructed for motion or different activities with motion, or could be as simple as waving grasses or passing clouds in a landscape.

All the photo have been taken by me unless noted otherwise.

I wanted to add this photo as it has lots of motion. This was taken by my niece of her two girls and she has agreed to allow us to use it for this art forum.

This is a photo of an Edgar Degas painting Dancer Tying Her Buskin

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 499
Points 9,070
halsart wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 6:05 PM

Bonnie, thank you for hosting.  I haven't participated for a couple of years and just stuck my head in to look around.  There are a couple photos I may give a try.

Hal :  The Sunset Beckons:

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Points 14,285
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 6:15 PM

Hal, nice to see you stopping by and I hope you do give a couple a try. I will look forward to seeing them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 1 Sep 2014 6:34 PM

Hi Bonnie, this is such a wonderful theme - things in motion. Thank you for your very thoughtful selection of images.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 521
Points 8,125
NealeyPea wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 6:37 PM

Bonnie ~ So glad you could host this month!!  This is a good mix of photos and I see some right off that I'd like to try.

Hal ~ thanks for stopping by and hope to see some of your artwork too!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Points 14,285
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 7:18 PM

Hi Alex, I'm glad you like the theme and photos, I have one more photo to add but am waiting for my niece to send it to me. I know you have been very busy with work and as for me when you do get some free time it is hard to get back into painting. It would be wonderful to see some of your work again, you have such a distinct style.

Nealey, it is great if you found some photos interesting to try. We will be looking forward to seeing them (always a treat). I have been enjoying your watercolours and congratulations on your recent sale of a painting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,883
Points 48,280
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 8:03 PM

Bonnie, what a nice group of pictures and a great theme. The plane is right up Hal's alley! There is a one a day challenge on the oil painting site on Wet Canvas that I am trying so hopefully I can get some of yours in on a small canvas. Not at all sure I can manage one a day!  Hope all went well with the cake even if it was bad timing for the challenge! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Points 14,285
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Sep 2014 8:35 PM

Hi Jen, I hope you can find something here for your one a day challenge. I can't imagine that. Life would just get in the way, I think. And the cake was a great success although it was almost the end of me (five tiers to feed over 200). I learned lots though and will post a photo when I get my camera back as I left it at the reception but family does have it so I am not worried. I am looking forward to seeing your one a day paintings.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,770
Hearadh wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 2:29 AM

Hello Bonnie,

very interesting selection of 'photos. Plenty of choices to inspire.

Could you tell me the names of the first two birds?

Thanks for hosting the Challenge this month.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Points 14,285
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 7:39 AM

Hello Sarah, I hope you find something interesting to work on. I think you are looking at the last three birds. The first one is a great blue heron and the second one is a young osprey. The osprey is standing on his nest developing his wings and very close to being able to fly. The ducks are wood ducks.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,883
Points 48,280
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 12:35 PM

Sarah the first one s a Hummingbird. They are tiny tiny. I have a green one that visits my roses once in a while.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 499
Points 9,070
halsart wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 3:53 PM

I hope I'm not our of line by posting to the theme rather than to the references. 

As a retired Air Force pilot, I paint the occasional aviation themed painting.  A few days ago I sent this one off to a high school classmate who, at 75, just got his pilot's license and this is his historic, vintage aircraft:  Ercoupe which was used way back when to test the concept of rocket assisted take offs. 
It fits the movement theme. 
For this month the Canadian aircraft and the cruiser/destroyer appeal to me.  These modern naval ships aren't nearly as distinctive as when I was a midshipman.

The original is an acrylic on a 10 by 20 inch cradled board.  (Cheap Joe's)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 521
Points 8,125
NealeyPea wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 6:11 PM

Hal ~ Your acrylic aircraft is enjoyable to look at.  It fits the month's theme perfectly!  And thank you for the close up shot.  Is it flying over Niagara Falls??    The highlights in the sky, plane and the water are wonderful!  Your friend will be so pleased!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 499
Points 9,070
halsart wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 7:12 PM

Nealy, the bird is flying over a Fog filled, New River Gorge in West Virginia.

I'm an ex West Virginia boy.....  Ok and ex West Virginia Geezer.  Big Smile

By the way can anyone identify the Naval Ship (with a hull number of 98, probably a cruiser since we no longer have battleships) and the type of Canadian Jet.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,883
Points 48,280
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 9:26 PM

Hal, great job it looks very realistic. I am sure your friend loved it

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS