Are these any good

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 340
horsehead wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 2:20 PM

This was my first attempt of an abstract painting. It is 11x14 on poster board using acrylic paints. I have never had any painting classes.Is this any good? Should I continue with this type of art? 

Here is another piece same size not really sure what type of painting you would call this one

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,320
on 25 Aug 2014 2:54 PM

I have to assume that you are just starting to paint seriously or just getting back to it again. Both of these paintings show you have a lot of ability—as do your other recent postings.

Next time, it would be good to include some information regarding your age, how long you have been painting and if you are doing it as a hobby or if you hope to do a lot more than that. It helps us in offering meaningful suggestions.

No one can tell you if you should "continue with this type of art" as you put it. The urge to express yourself creatively has to come from you. I'm sure you are aware of that. If you have that urge, you should never let anything stop you. Painting and drawing are complicated means of expression and it takes us a life time to make the most of what ever talent we have. When it comes right down to it, we are all self-taught. Classes and instructors can get us moving in the right direction, inspire us and show us correct procedures. However, the real learning of drawing and painting we have to do by doing it. The best thing about all this is that it is fun and it should always be something we feel we have to do.

You have shown us very promising work and I'm sure we would like to see more— and know more about you and what you hope to do.

Best of luck
Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 340
horsehead wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 3:15 PM

This Is the first time I have posted anything on this site. I have done a few painting for friends and family for a couple of years. I have sold some paintings of peoples pets more for fun than anything. I would really like to improve . I really enjoy painting. I am 39

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,320
on 25 Aug 2014 4:38 PM

horsehead—

My best advise is stick with it. You have the talent and you enjoy painting. The more you draw and paint the more you will improve. You are still relatively young. When you can, pick up a good book on drawing. As Michelangelo said—drawing is the key, the fountainhead from which the other arts flow.

Hang in here—and always keep drawing and painting an enjoyable experience.
Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 340
horsehead wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 5:28 PM

Thanks so much paul

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS