Amateur artist looking for constructive criticism

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
dilettante86 wrote
on 15 Aug 2014 8:06 PM

Hi there -

I just felt compelled to sketch today after a very long hiatus from drawing. I did not study art in college but loved to draw, and I still have a deep appreciation for art. Because I am out of practice, I tried drawing from a picture I liked. Is anyone willing to take a look at it and give me some constructive criticism?

I'm not an artist, but I do have an interest in it as a hobby. I realize this is only an attempt at copying a photograph, but I felt that was a good way to ease back into drawing. I am looking for input on technique, especially with shading, as well as perspective. I drew this with charcoal pencil. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 612
Points 5,325
on 16 Aug 2014 12:47 PM

dilettante—

It is never too late to get back to doing artwork. Your work shows that you have a lot of talent. At this point don't be concerned with technique. Drawing from photos is a good way to sharpen up your skills. When ever you can, draw from the things around you. Do a lot of drawings that are simply sketches. Sketching is a wonderful way of practicing the physical coordination between the mind, eye and hand that is a big part of drawing.

Years ago, I was told, "You learn to draw by drawing." I usually tell that to people who are beginning to draw because it is so true. Much of the skills of drawing are learned by drawing as often as you can. However, there are basic principles of drawing that can be taught or learned from books and videos.

Best of luck—and always remember that drawing should be fun.

Paul

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 100
melainek wrote
on 10 Sep 2014 8:02 AM

I feel like you captured the spirit of the subject very well. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
walka wrote
on 3 Oct 2014 3:21 AM
I think it is a very good drawing. A detailed work and very good use of light and shadows, I think. The girl looks older in your drawing, though. I am not sure why.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS