Densely Marked Drawing VS Lightly Marked Drawing

This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 24 Jul 2009 6:20 AM

Recently I drew two landscapes with willow trees.  One drawing involved heavy markings and the other light ones.  The mood of each piece is entirely different from the other.

The heavy dark image is of the mature willows that surround the lake and abbey in Brugge, Belgium.  The other drawing,  a Dutch canal in the spring when the willow trees are light bright green.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Points 5,940
Bob Bahr wrote
on 24 Jul 2009 6:45 AM

very nice, Katherine. charcoal?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 24 Jul 2009 6:50 AM

Thanks!  Yes, charcoal.   I created these pieces months apart and  delivered them to my

gallery last week in the USA.  My dealer made a comparison between them, then after I saw your blog

this week, I decided to upload them on the site....thanks for post and the comments!Smile

I love the Van Gogh wheat drawing  you posted and was recently at that museum.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 459
Points 5,495
patrickart wrote
on 24 Jul 2009 4:39 PM

i like the heavy darker one. the values really stand out

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 25 Jul 2009 3:45 AM

Thanks Patrick.  I normally work with a lot of charcoal on the surface, but that one

probably was the heaviest application of charcoal I have ever used on white paper.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 15,060
j.b2 wrote
on 26 Jul 2009 4:23 PM

The heavy one is my favorite.

Nice work!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 26 Jul 2009 11:06 PM

Thanks for the input. It is great to get some feedback on the comparison!

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 660
smithharia wrote
on 14 Aug 2009 7:29 AM

Katherine

Do you or have you ever painted or worked with color in any way? I, too, work in charcoal, graphite, pen and ink and keep thinking I need to learn to paint if anything is ever going to become saleable. Would really like to hear other opinions on this.

Anne

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Miranda_Asch wrote
on 14 Aug 2009 7:42 AM

I would also vote for the dark one! Although they are both beautiful drawings, the dark one has a moodiness to it that I like. Well done!

Miranda

Abstract Art A virtual gallery of my artwork.

Learn to... Art! Online lessons and tutorials.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 78
Points 1,320
christenmu wrote
on 16 Aug 2009 6:30 AM

Very nice work Kathy. I like both pieces, the dark one has a realist look and the lighter one is more impressionist (Van goh style). 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130
bobbydale wrote
on 16 Aug 2009 9:25 AM

I like both of these works. Both have good composition and the contrast in values is remarkable. The darker pond scene has just enough detail to describe the elements but leave some wondering to the viewer.

The canal scene is certainly in the van Gogh manner, but I think the style is unique enough to separate it from that famous painter. I really like the "weeping" tree effect. I like this one better than the darker one and I am guessing it is your favorite.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 18 Aug 2009 2:32 AM

Anne,

Thanks for your feedback. I do not work in color anymore.....too much fascination with the drama of charcoal!  Sometimes I will use very lightly tinted pastel whites but that is all.

Bobby,

Thank you for your  lovely comments.

I cannot say which is really my favorite as each landscape has a place in my soul.  Drawings are like children in some ways to me and I have a hard time selecting a favorite. Each has unique qualities combining  a place, a mood, and a memory.

I had recently visited the Van Gogh at Night exhibit and enjoy much of the Dutch landscape.

Drawing two types of weeping trees from two seasons was an interesting drawing challenge for me. 

www.katherinenelsonart.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 27 Aug 2009 5:05 PM

Thanks Miranda!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Mistynight wrote
on 15 Jan 2014 12:10 AM

Hello! I would like to ask permissioni to use your drawing of the dark willow tree as a picture in the background of the cover of my journal for my college assignment. I'm supposed to show pictures or some sort of art/lit/music form on the cover of my journal to show who I am. I write poetry..I have a poem about a willow tree and came across your picture and I absolutely love it! I want to copy/paste your picture onto Paint and then add the text of my poem and print it off/paste onto the journal if that is ok with you?!
And if you'd like, I can share my poem with you. Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 172
Points 2,155
on 16 Jan 2014 9:53 PM

Hello Mistynight,

I appreciate that you enjoy the drawing and are working on a college paper. However, unfortunately, I am 

NOT able to grant you permission to import my image and further alter my image in any form with a print

overlay.  All of my work is copyrighted and reproduction can be only used with a  signed legal contract

through a publisher.  

I hope you do post your poem or perhaps start your own webpage which publishes your writing.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS