Share your abstract artwork!

This post has 83 Replies | 17 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,364,930
Karyn Big Smile [:D] wrote
on 15 Jun 2009 9:08 AM

Get us rolling by sharing your abstract work here, any medium is welcome.  Feel free to post your work for critique, start a work in progress thread, open the door for sharing tips and material ideas.

Enjoy!

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

• | Post Points: 200
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 8 Jul 2009 11:00 AM

Karyn,

My friend, Patricia A. Walker is not particularly comfortable with her computer and Online Forums yet, so I've decided to post some of her watercolors here. She either paints on the back of plexiglas or on Yupo.

This one is large - painted on plexiglass

This one is also rather large - painted on Yupo.

www.loriwords.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 9 Jul 2009 12:03 PM

The paintings listed above by Patricia A. Walker are posted with permission from the artist. Next time I'll get her to post her own Wink

Anyway, I think these are fantastic abstract works and I wanted to encourage Pat to keep on keeping on.

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 185
kumar wrote
on 19 Jul 2009 9:48 AM

Hello,

I  would like to impress upon the fact that,as in music in every other art, the
form and the matter are always together.i.e.the real and the abstract are always together.

that is why personally i feel that a purely abstract work is always half complete.

ofcourse,these are my personal views.

I would like to hear more from you on this...

Kumar

http://www.watercolours-kumar.blogspot.com/ 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 20 Jul 2009 6:13 AM

Kumar,

I've had the opportuntiy to jury art shows many times (local ones), and if I see a well designed abstract work, I will certainly pick it for an award before I'd give a poorly designed realistic work one.

I do prefer representational realistic and impressionistic work for my collection, but there are plenty of collectors out there who love abstract works.

When comparing visual art to music, realism (in my mind) is akin to a ballad - music with words - we know what the song is about, and it tells a story. Whereas with instrumental music, we often don't know what the story is - other than what the title suggests, but it is beautiful to listen to just the same.

Instrumental music intensifies the way we feel when we're watching a tender scene in a movie. Likewise, the paintings posted above can enhance the viewer's mood without telling a particular story or featuring a place. And although I probably wouldn't collect these works for my home, there are plenty of people who would, solely because they add a mood or emotion to their rooms.

I'm not terribly fond of abstract works that are boring - for the sake of being different; however, there are as many different tastes as there are types of art. Arguments surrounding the topic of abstract vs. representational art has been going on since the impressionists broke away from realism. I say the great thing about art is that there is something for everyone, and in every style quality can exist.

www.loriwords.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 20 Jul 2009 6:16 AM

Sorry for all the typos, grammar errors and poor sentence construction above, I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. I'm a terrible speller and admit it Embarrassed

Lori

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 185
kumar wrote
on 20 Jul 2009 8:12 AM

Certainly Lori.

Let me clarify, I am not at all against the abstraction. I am really sorry if i sounded like old school watercolorist! :-) I am not.

If you see my work here> http://www.watercolours-kumar.blogspot.com/ 

you will understand where i am coming from.

The only point i would like to make is if you are an abstract painter, its your responsibility to marry emotional content with some kind of loose framework.

That's why Instrumental music intensifies the way we feel when we're watching a tender scene in a movie.

here, music is the instrumental music is a abstract content and tender scene in a movie is framework. 

I would be glad to hear your thoughts on this. 

Warm regards from Goa,  

Kumar 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,775
jaydub wrote
on 22 Jul 2009 6:36 PM

Hi dere, i am not a newbee to cyber art communities, this is my latest of 5,000 different abstract digital from scratch art files. I use various digital art programs. My wife, a great artist, has helped me get prints that are just as good as what you see on the screen.

Here's my web site...  http://wiscojaydub.net/....and my wife's site ......     http://www.vargamari.com    .I hope you do not think awww gees a spammer, becuz i am not! I am just somebody who loves art, and would love to see my most fondest dream come true! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 23 Jul 2009 5:01 AM

Hi Jaydub,

This is a beautifully designed work of art. The colors and texture is rich and interesting. What medium is it? It looks like fabric, but I realize it could be acrylic or some other built up texture.

www.loriwords.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,775
jaydub wrote
on 23 Jul 2009 6:39 AM

Thank you Lori for theYes, I only work in the digital format, these are all done from a blank screen using the tools and filters of my programs and a mouse....My wife is teaching me adobe photoshop and it is a b...not easy!Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,775
jaydub wrote
on 23 Jul 2009 7:26 AM

This is a photoshop abstract,no manippped objects...just done from scratchGeeked....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,775
jaydub wrote
on 24 Jul 2009 7:37 AM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,775
jaydub wrote
on 24 Jul 2009 7:44 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,830
Trusted Users
on 24 Jul 2009 7:52 AM

These are gorgeous works! Thanks for posting so we can view.

FYI... do you know how to make the image size a bit smaller? They'll download faster for people with slower connections - like I have. I resize them by making the longer side of the image no more than 500 pixels.

Thanks again - beautiful!

www.loriwords.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Points 20,775
jaydub wrote
on 24 Jul 2009 9:10 AM

Ok, no problem...  

Page 1 of 6 (84 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS