Artist scam?

This post has 0 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 250
on 8 Feb 2014 6:10 AM

I am new to the forum so please forgive ahead of time if I posted in the wrong place. I need some advice from professional artists here, since I want to become professional but don't know the ropes yet about the business of art.

I was offered an opportunity to show with a group of artists in a gallery in New York. It is 20 artists with various techniques gathered from a gallery in Köping Sweden. I live and work in Sweden. The galley in Köping exists and works with the National Swedish Artists' Guild, which one must be juried into membership. The gallery in New York seems to have been in business in the tribeca area for many years. It is not Christies--but seems to be more like a framing/gallery business.

The gallery owners here in Sweden also operate in Italy, where they are originally from. I have talked to other artists who know the Italian event they are part of and tell me it is one of the largest for Nordic art in Tuscany.

What my partner is suspicious of is that I must pay for the transport of the artwork and their installation costs. They want 2000 euro and will take 20% commission on any sales. I would have 6 pieces.

What do you think? Is this a legitimate way to show my work? Build exposure and experience to exhibit? Should I sign the contract and participate?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS