some feedback about this painting please

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 235
on 8 Feb 2014 5:56 AM

i started painting with encaustics last year. i am still exploring the media and subject. i paint plein air landscapes, mostly in watercolor. so honest constructive feedback would be appreciated on color, composition, technique, subject, mood, etc.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 235
on 9 Feb 2014 6:02 AM

Since I am new I am not sure how often people post here.  Would appreciate some feedback and a critique of this painting. Big Smile

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 4,625
on 9 Feb 2014 2:54 PM

Dawn—

I like your painting. The general color is very good.

I am going to offer a couple of simple suggestions regarding color and value that you might consider. The dark tree on the left establishes the foreground but it stands as an isolated dark element in the composition. I would suggest that the green grass shadows that go from the dark tree to the grouping of trees at the left be darkened. This will tie the foreground to the middle ground trees and offer more of a base to the picture, leaving the tree less of a stand alone dark. These dark shadows on the grass can get lighter as they go back into the picture, about the way they are right under the tree grouping. These shadows should be much cooler, much more of a deep blue look. Also, the trunks of the tree grouping at the right should be darker in places—giving the effect of the shadows of tree limbs on the trunks. This should establish a better feeling of depth in the picture.

Be sure to make several composition thumbnails before starting a picture. When you have a good composition, make a black and white rough about 25% of the final painting. In this black and white rough you should further solve the design of the painting by creating its pattern of lights and darks. Follow this dark / light guide as you proceed with the actual painting.

Best of luck—

Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 235
on 9 Feb 2014 4:12 PM

hi paul

thanks for the feedback. now that i study it, i see what you mean. i will work on this idea some more. what drew me to the idea was the tree in the foreground, but since there was no foilage actually on that tree, I wasn't sure how to tie it in...you gave me some good ideas. i'm going to play with B/W sketches as you suggest and see what I come up with.

thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 240
nlichte wrote
on 12 Feb 2014 10:18 PM

The tree at the right it what grabs my attention first, the blue in it really helps to make it unique. However when I look right in the middle of the piece I get a little lost. some additional contrast would help to clear things up. Your trees look really natural!

Great work though!  

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS