Mixing shades of grey

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
doug19 wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 8:06 AM

Hi All,

I require 13 colors for my project. Color number 1 is white and color number 13 is black. These are obviously straight from the paint tub. I need to mix the 11 shades of grey between white and black using white and black paint. I mixed 11 parts white with one part black, 10 parts white with 2 parts black and so on up to the 11th shade of grey 1 part white with 11 parts black. This didn't produce even shades of grey.

There must be a formula for this but I can't figure it out. How can I do this please?

Thank you.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,352
Points 1,594,635
American Artist Staff
Editor
on 27 Jan 2014 9:01 AM

Hi Doug,

I don't think this is supposed to give you even shades of grey but a spectrum of greys, going from lightest light to darkest dark. Those 11 points in between are gradated or gradually go from light to dark.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
doug19 wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 9:22 AM

Thank you for your reply Courtney.  Yes, it does give a spectrum of greys.  The greys in the lighter end of the spectrum are quite obviously going from light to darker.  But the greys at the darker end of this spectrum are very similar in color.  There doesn't seem to be any significant difference in color between them.  That's why I thought perhaps that my formula was off.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS