Brushes

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 300
jrasche2003 wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 5:11 PM

I would like to bring up the topic of brushes for this noob.  When I first started out with an idea that I wanted to paint, I bought everything cheap as I could.  Since I have gone to better acrylic paint than the student type.  But I still have the cheap brushes, that came in a set from Craftsmart (Michaels).

This weekend I decided to try a tutorial, in which you first fill the entire canvas with color, but blending lights to dark.  I did a similar tutorial using craft paints, and it worked fine.  But now that I am trying with these better acrylics, I have had nothing but problems.  Lots of drag on the brush which wouldn't go away no matter how much paint I would use, which would resort me to using water.. and too much in my opinion!

Well.. I discovered something quite by accident.  I was really getting frustrated that this blending wasn't working, so I thought.. "I wonder if it's the brush".  So I reached over and opened a kit from Grumbacher which is meant for their classes which I will be taking on Wed.  Inside was a #8 Flat Brislette.  And I started to use it.

And OMG it worked smoothly.  Now I ask.. was it because I just switched brushes, or is perhaps the brush in the kit  of better quality than the packaged cheapies from Michaels?

If the problem is the cheapies, I would like to get some better quality... anyone buy the ones from michaels (free not packaged?)

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 246
Points 5,575
Trusted Users
on 6 Jan 2014 5:51 PM

The best advice is to always buy the best brushes you can afford.  The same as with paints and canvases.

It certainly sounds like the different brush that you used was the reason the blending worked.

The second best advice I can give is to take care of your brushes and clean them properly, this will make them last longer and perform better.

Chris

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 300
jrasche2003 wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 1:02 PM

Thank You!!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS