Challenge CHATTER - 2014

This post has 462 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 47,735
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 5:38 PM

Sarah, thanks. I yes it is terra cotta red clay. I work both ways detailing in wet clay and adding more as it dries harder. I will let both the gnome and the turtle dry slowly over several weeks. I wrap it in wet paper towels while I am working on adding parts to keep it moist and then just put a plastic bag over it and gradually let more air in until I move the bag entirely and leave it to dry thoroughly. We are supposed to be getting an electric kiln installed in the studio soon but I usually borrow a friend's. It would be good to have a kiln on site so I don't have to worry about transporting and breaking the pieces. Of course they can still break in the kiln! :(

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 47,735
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 5:43 PM

Gerri, :) I am partial to my gnomes, but I just like missing in dirt and seeing what comes out. Everyone has their own preferences! 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 8:17 PM

Karen, your work on the bike is coming along wonderfully. You are really getting the details down and the chrome looks great. The writing in the sand turned out well.

Jen, your small painting of the house in the grass is lovely. I agree with Geri, the yellow grass and blue in the sky is very nice. It will be a lovely display in your studio building.

Fred, so glad to see you back and your paintings on the Yupo are fantastic. There are a couple I really, really like. The abstract with the pink and green with the yellow and white background is my favorite.

Claudia, lovely work in the egg tempera of your niece with the chicken, And Jen is right the chicken does have attitude. Coming along beautifully.

Ruthie, nice to see you posted your work here. The colours of this are very nice and it has an interesting shape. Was it difficult to get the shapes of the plant?

Jen, love your modeling work (thanks Sarah for the info) of the turtle. - talk about character, this ones a charmer looking around his shell. I can't wait to see him finished.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 8:17 PM

Karen, your work on the bike is coming along wonderfully. You are really getting the details down and the chrome looks great. The writing in the sand turned out well.

Jen, your small painting of the house in the grass is lovely. I agree with Geri, the yellow grass and blue in the sky is very nice. It will be a lovely display in your studio building.

Fred, so glad to see you back and your paintings on the Yupo are fantastic. There are a couple I really, really like. The abstract with the pink and green with the yellow and white background is my favorite.

Claudia, lovely work in the egg tempera of your niece with the chicken, And Jen is right the chicken does have attitude. Coming along beautifully.

Ruthie, nice to see you posted your work here. The colours of this are very nice and it has an interesting shape. Was it difficult to get the shapes of the plant?

Jen, love your modeling work (thanks Sarah for the info) of the turtle. - talk about character, this ones a charmer looking around his shell. I can't wait to see him finished.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 8:32 PM

Well, as I mentioned in the Challenge the reason I was gone for awhile was because I was trying to learn how to make a wedding cake that my daughter volunteered me to do. It was a wedding of white and navy so I tried my had at a two tier fondant cake with some navy details and white roses. The bride's bouquet was white roses. I found recipes for the fondant and cake and found gum paste for the flowers and watched some utube videos on how to make the flowers and make knead and roll the fondant and cover the cake as well as stack the cake. So it was a job and I learned lots, not as easy as it looks in all the videos. And very elevated stress level because it had to turn out some what okay for a wedding. So hear is my attempt at a wedding cake.

The royal icing dots are a little off but it was my first time at that also and had a little trouble with the fondant with getting it flat but the roses were very nice (I enjoyed making them)and the cake tasted really good so everyone was happy with it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 10:54 PM

Bonnie you did a great job on the cake especially since it is your first.  The roses are truly outstanding.  Are they fondant too??

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 47,735
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 1:07 AM

Wow, Bonnie, that is a very professional looking cake!  I am sure all the brides were delighted. My cousin used to make wedding cakes and I know all the hours of work that go into them. I agree with Gerri that the roses are awesome. That fondue is really difficult to manage too. Congratulations! You should be very proud. Now don't let anyone eat it!! 

Thanks is for the good words on all my other stuff including Mr. Turtle! On this side of the pond they call what I do handbuilding I just call it playing in the clay! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 8:31 AM

Thank you Geri and Jen. The flowers are made out of gum paste. It is a lot like fondant just a little stiffer and dries rock hard. Making the roses was the most enjoyable part of the process.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 8:31 AM

Sorry, it posted twice.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 10:01 AM

Bonnie thanks for your comment on the bike.  Great job on the cake.  I've done a cake with fondant and gum paste and it is a challenge.  You made your own fondant...wow.  I bought Wilton premade.  Great job.  Your roses are perfect.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 27 Mar 2014 12:19 PM

test

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 27 Mar 2014 12:26 PM

test for april challenge

Photo from PMP

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 27 Mar 2014 12:30 PM

For anyone looking here I posted this pic to see how it would translate from my file.  This is one of the pics I am considering for the April Challenge.  Hope everyone will join in for April.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 47,735
Turps245 wrote
on 27 Mar 2014 12:34 PM

Karen,  it looks great and would make a wonderful reference! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 29 Mar 2014 7:18 AM

Karen, nice sunny colours in the photo of the flowers. So good to see something warm with winter hanging around here without any sign of spring yet. It is great that you took on the April challenge, looking forward to it.

Thank you for commenting on the cake. The fondant was made with marshmallows and icing sugar and is not difficult. I am three hours drive from the nearest store to purchase these supplies so looked for recipes to make my own.

Page 18 of 31 (463 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next >  ... Last » | RSS