CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 981
Points 14,300
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 29 Jan 2014 6:13 PM

Sarah, wonderful Norwegian Forest Cat. He sure has lots of lovely think fur, so doesn't mind playing in the snow. I can understand about their eyes and can see how you portrayed this very well in you painting. You seem to be skilled with the Egg Tempera as well as watercolour.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 3:52 AM

Hello Marsha, Nealey and Bonnie........thank you for your kind comments.

Nealey...'Frodo' is one of my daughter's Champion show cats. I wouldn't have a cat as a pet, I am a dog person!!!    However this breed is large in size and have lovely temperaments, they live outdoors nearly all the time(have their own cattery and garden!!!) .

Bonnie....egg tempera is almost my favourite medium for painting nowadays......but I usually choose the medium I think best for the subject...NOT always right.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 9:15 AM

Hello everybody, I just posted the February Challenge.(one day early)

Thank you, to Jen helping me pick a theme

and

to Marsha helping me setting it up.

That was fun!!!

Hope everybody finds a picture to paint and has as much fun painting it as I had setting it up.

Thank you Bonnie for hosting this winter wonderland challenge. I was glad I was able to post a few paintungs/drawings this month.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 9:54 AM

Joyce, I'm not a horse person, but I can see you made some nice improvements.

Claudia, your winter bird scene turned out well. Esp. like the little bird, even if he gets a bit lost in the ptg.. Love how you did the ground snow and branches! Your squirrel is super! I did find the BG a bit distracting in that one but it was certainly an awesome piece.

Sarah, the cabin scene had a nice palette. The cat was excellent, esp. to have caught the playful action. Hard to do (well, for most of us). BTW, I like your avatar (may have had it up for a while already, but not sure I've been around enough to comment when it was put up).

Catherine, your angel statue was haunting. Definite atmosphere about it. Prob. good that you left as is vs. snow. Your 2nd one looks alive. The subj. just isn't my fav., but you obv. did well. Nice avatar too.

Marsha, thanks. (The Chinese char. means SMILE.) Your pheasant has glorious colors - wonderful ptg.. Glad to see you in the swing of things again. Also love the BG for your ptg..

Sonia, glad you took the time to fit in the squirrel. He's so cute with his plumpness and smile; good shadow on this. His fur is ready for our "Chiberia" winter that we're having now in the Chicago area. Wish I had that squirrel's coat.

Nealey Pea, I can recog. your style now and it's cool. Awesome job on the graphite winter trees. The knot keeps looking at me, like an eye.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 10:46 AM

Catherine, Geri, Nealey, Bonnie, Sarah, Joyce, Marsha, Kim, thank you for the nice comments on the squirrel.

Nealey you tree scene in ink and pencil is absolutly wonderful. You're a master with pencil, charcoal and ink

Sarah,your egg tempera cat is an other masterpiece. I love how you did the snow, I'm not certain what was more difficult to do in egg tempera the snow or the cat.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 6:37 PM

Hi All,

Many thanks to Marsha, Sarah, Bonnie, Catherine, Claudia, Geri, Nealey & Kim T for your comments about my squirrel.

Sarah, I really love your Norwegian Forest cat - he's got such a lovely expression - I just want to pick him up & give him a cuddle!

Claudia your squirrel is well done.

Nealey, trees can be really difficult to do, but yours is lovely.

Have a good week!

Sonia

Sonia

Comments & critique will always be welcome & appreciated!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 981
Points 14,300
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 7:20 PM

Well, I managed to get this finished before the end of the month. I overworked a lot of this but I it was a good learning process. The photograph shows much more blue than the painting. There just hasn't been any sunshine for enought light to take photos in the house. This is a pastel on 12x16 Canson pastel paper.

I've been thinking that maybe it should be cropped so the horses aren't in the center. Either take some of the top or bottom. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,320
karend84 wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 11:39 PM

Claudia I like what you've done with your horse.  The fur Is great and the suggestion of the cold temp with his breath is great.  Your pigion and chic has a fabulous story.  I really like the light behind the tree.  You're background with the squirrel is wonderful and the squirrel is well done.  I really like his bushy tail.

Joyce I agree your horse has a sassy attitude.  Good job.

Geri nicejob on the chickadee.  Great texture in the tree and a beautiful sky. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,320
karend84 wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 11:46 PM

Sarah your cabin is lovely.  I like how you were able to define the lake.  Fro do is fantastic.  I just love his paw scooping the snow.

Catherine your angel statutes are wonderful.  I love them both but think the first is my favorite.  I really like the base and the dark colors on the statue.

Sonia your squirrel is so cute. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 10,320
karend84 wrote
on 30 Jan 2014 11:58 PM

Nearly fabulous job on the ink and graphite tree.  Your drawing Is fantastic.

Bonnie great movement with the horses.  I like it the way it is.  I don't think I'd crop.

Marsha thank you  for commenting on my waxwing.  Sorry to hear of your allergic reaction.  Happy your feeling better.  Great job on the pheasant.  He is staring right at us.  Your right I need to take the time and get an avatar.  I'm consumed with a city scape right now ( WIP posted in chatter) but promise next day off I'll look for an avatar. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 1:01 AM

Well darn I just did a great big reply and it disappeared. Let me say well done you have all done some splendid work!!

Thanks for some great references Bonnie. I wish I could have got to more of them. You have been a great host.

I came back from the grands with a cold and cough kindly shared by my darling baby grandson. He does so like to share with his granny! I have been hibernating and not feeling sociable. I get this way at this time of the year. .I am sure those of you further north who are enduring this dreadfully cold weather are feeling house bound too. I know I need more sunshine.

I did get to the studio today and started on this oil of the canoeing drawing     It has a way to geo and I wiped out the people as they seemed too small. Wet canvas oil had a challenge to use just red, blue and yellow and white and this is what I did. I used Ultramarine blue, Alizarin crimson. cad yellow and white.

16x20 oil

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 886
Points 19,785
Hearadh wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 3:21 AM

Hello..... Kim, Claudia,Sonia,  Bonnie, Karen, and Jen.....thank you for ALL comments.

Claudia.....egg tempera isn't an easy medium but I like it as it will let me experiment with textures. Thanks for supplying all those very interesting and inspirational ref.photos for February.

Bonnie and Jen....crop  some off the lower part ...should bring the horses nearer to viewer ...maybe deepen the shadows under the horse too?    Jen ..maybe crop it just above the figs/kayak? The rest is so serene and rich in colour.

Bonnie...many thanks for hosting January, I have enjoyed the Challenges I have attempted

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 4:04 AM

Bonnie, your horses are wonderful, great movement and the colors of the snow are well done.

Jen, your canoe painting turned out great, I love the colors!!! I know how you feel about the post. Happened to me yesterday too with the new challenge. I was done and thought I prieview it before posting and the hole thing disappeared from the screen.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 5:11 AM

Claudia, your paintings done when you were younger certainly showed your artistic ability.   Its good that you have stayed with it.  I don't know why you would have been frustrated with the lower one especially,  it is marvelous.   both are really well done.   Watercolor has its own artistic ability,   The water has to be your friend...   he likes to play too.

Kim I like the  SMILE...   I had one once that said LOVE but I don't know where it is now.   maybe you can do that one as well.   thank you for the compliment

Sarah,   I am truly impress with anyone that has the patience to do egg tempera...  a lot of work and patience...

Sonia How are you doing with the HEAT,,,,  we all want to hear about it.

Bonnie :  I love love love the horses and the snow is amazing.   I have seen many herds of mustangs here in the Mojave Desert ours look more like quarter horses and we have pintos, paints, and sorrels,  but yours are so soft,  When I see them I can't get much closer than what your painting portrays,  they are always kind of distant.    I agree with maybe some more cast shadow under them....

Bonnie Thank you so very very much for being a very gracious host this month.    Great pictures and theme...

Jen..   Your Oil painting is coming along beautifully,  I love the water and reflections  sorry the smiley one wanted to share his bug with you....  hope you have some cheerful days... good that you got to the studio,.   The day I did my epic cc's I had it almost done and it dropped out....  I had to start all over again.   I was really bummed.   almost didn't do it at all.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 5:48 AM

Sarah...Your cat painting is wonderful to look at! The tail is especially well done and looks just like a wet, snowy, fluffy cat tail. The colors are also very nice.

Jen...The colors in your landscape painting WIP are just gorgeous! Good to see you back, as winter and the cold and no sun get's me down too.

Bonnie...Your horses look really good! I found the same problem with having them too much in the center but never did do another  one to put them somewhere else. I will post the second full sketch I did of them. Your snow looks really, really nice too. I thought the fur on the horses looked so soft and was such a nice color. You've captured that really well.

Thank you everyone for the comments on my angels. I really enjoy looking at statues as they have the most beautiful lines and values in them. 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Page 30 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  28 29 30 31 32  Next >  ... Last » | RSS