Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 6 Dec 2013 2:44 PM

Sarah, Just love your painting ,I don't have the courage to be so bold with white but I'm working at itHere is my lighthouse, Playing with color 11x14 w/c gesso and gel medium

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 6 Dec 2013 3:22 PM

Hello Sam,

make another print and try using watercolours  + egg.yolk and a little bit of water mixed together  instead of all water.

Maybe the paper was too thin?

Hope this helps.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 6 Dec 2013 3:28 PM

Thank you, Sarah.  I will give that a try.

Fred, you certainly are playing with color.  I like it and I like the textures created with the gel.  Very cool

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 6 Dec 2013 3:41 PM

I just got out some of the Christmas stuff and I am amassing a small collection of Santa paintings.  One  has been hung on the wall and one on a table easel and one will be entered into a show tomorrow.  Although some of you have seen this one last year, I'm posting it again because I am proud of how I handled these whites.  Nothing like patting oneself on the back.

This is 14"x10" using pan pastels on Colorfix paper.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,723
Points 44,860
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Dec 2013 3:45 PM

Sarah, You are so good at this. The snow and sky look wonderful and the tension in the cat as he is hunting is very well done. great example of the many colour reflections in white snow.

Sammy, did you use permanent ink? This should not run if you put water on it.

Just saw your Santa. You should be proud of him it is beautifully done.

Fred, I just love the bright colours you get with those gels. Nice happy painting.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 6 Dec 2013 7:42 PM

Sam ~ I just want to bury my face in your Santa's beard!  It looks so soft & thick.  Beautiful portrait!  Sorry about your Poinsettia problems.  Copiers use water soluble ink, so anything wet is going to run.  Once when I did a pen & ink which I wanted to hand color, I had to take it to a print shop and made sure they used permanent printing ink.

Sarah, your wild cat in the snow is wonderfully colored landscape.  You show us how many colors are in white!  Also the idea behind Sam's white challenge photos, very effective!  Lately you'll find me most mornings gazing out the kitchen window, coffee cup in hand, noticing all the different shades and colors in the snow.  Hubby thinks I sleep standing up!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 6 Dec 2013 10:07 PM

Fred, very bright colourful painting. Your lighthouse looks very good and standing front and center of the choppy seas. Do you purchase the gel coloured or do you add colour to it?

Sam, wonderful Santa. His beard looks so soft. Great work on the whites and his glasses.

Sam, sorry for the problems with the print on the poinsettia. I think if you could find someone with a laser printer it would not run like the inks do. Also, most copiers unless you are using a scan and copy method is laser. The coloured pencil turned out very well and gives you an idea of what it is like with colour.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 6 Dec 2013 11:16 PM

Sarah, a beautiful oil painting of the snowy countryside with the wildcat. I admire your handling of the snowy wastes, the grasses, and the cat. You're very good at showing depth and distance, too, by having something in the foreground and middle distance.

Fred, you're not at all afraid of color, and your work with gesso and gel medium gives your land- and seascapes such wonderful texture. Glad to see a tiny bear in there, too!

Sam, your Santa is such a beautiful example of the subtleties and nuances of creating textures with whites. Lovely, lovely work.

This is my tiny stippling doodle of white holly leaves with gold berries (à la Sam, but not as delicately wrought) done while waiting for an appointment.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 3:02 AM

I am never going to catch up with comments on other people's work...all I can say at the moment is that it is ALL looking so good (Fred's Lighthouse shines out as an all year round Beacon!) ...as if the Christmas spirit ihas inspired us to produce our best.

On with chores...no painting today! 

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 9:07 AM

Alex, White holly leaves with gold berries definitely has a wintery feel. The dark background makes the whites pop. I am wonder how you did the gold berries.

Sam, you have been very inspiring by your beautiful poinsettia with Alex's holly and I have given Georgia O'Keefe's Lilies a try. This is done on a 5 x 7 110 lb sketch paper with Sharpie pen fine. The pens are limited in colour and I had to try and combine some colours to try and get close to the actual colours.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 7 Dec 2013 10:10 AM

Alex, what a productive way to spend your waiting time.  Time seems to go so fast when one is occupied with creating art.  I love your white holly leaves and you did a fine job of stippling.  The gold berries are a nice and creative touch.

Bonnie, who would have expected a stippled Georgia O'Keeffe.  It is great and the colors that you mixed look terrific.  I really like the multi-color look.

I'm very proud of both stippled pieces.  Maybe we are starting a new trend.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,420
Points 44,610
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 10:29 AM

Fred, nice lighthouse picture.

Sam, very nice Santa portrait.

Alex and Bonnie, I like your stippling works.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 7 Dec 2013 11:34 AM

Bonnie, your  Georgia O'Keefe stippled lilies are beautiful and you did a lovely job on the colors despite the limitations of the pen colors - even capturing the subtle shadows. It's so much fun to create with dots!

For the gold holly berries I used a pentel gold pen designed for writing on holiday cards - the gold has a very pretty luminous look that doesn't show in the photo.

Sam and Charlie, thank you for your very kind comments on my white holly leaves.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 365
IndigoOkapi wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 5:57 PM

Here is my attempt at the white daisy.  This is an 8 x 10 black mat board done with colored pencil.

Crista

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 7 Dec 2013 6:06 PM

Christa, I am amazed that you got the whites so white on a black surface.  That is difficult to do.  I like your daisy.  It is well drawn and looks good.  My only suggestion would be to make the center brighter with a bit of shadow at it's base.  When you make changes to a painting, you are welcome to post it again.

Page 8 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS