Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:45 PM

Wow Sam that takes a lot of patience, so you must be feeling better.  very very nicely done. I love pointillism if you do it in color you could be like Seurat...  he did beautiful work as well.  When you posted I immediately looked for a pointsettia in your collection.   Now we have one.   Beautiful job Sam...   were you thinking of doing a water color wash over it or adding color with colored pencil dots?    or just lightly adding colored pencil over it instead of WC...  anyway you do it will be effective including leaving it white since that is your theme.   lovely.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:46 PM
Leticia, go for it! Sounds like a great trip too.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:48 PM
Karen, I love your Santa. Great textures. He looks like he is reading his list you all better be good!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 3 Dec 2013 2:49 PM

Alex and Jen, thank you for your positive comments on my pen & ink poinsettia.  Alex, I may keep the poinsettia black and white.  After some exploration with color, I'll decide.  Jen, I have a good sized collection of colored ink but have not used them much at all.  I wonder if they would hid the pen drawing.  I shall test them.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:50 PM
Thank you all for the good words on my Santa and boy. Hope i can get him right. That hand just is not clear. By the way Marsha it is done in pastel not oil!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:53 PM

Hi all, Bennie and Ruthie decide on planet x and arrive just in time to see Santa pass on his way to the North Pole on planet Earth 11x14 w/c gesso and gel medium

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:58 PM

KAREN:   beautiful work on your Santa.   he is either concentrating, reading or taking a nap its up to the imagination of each viewer,   I like that.   "The Story"  is in the "eyes" of the beholder....  great skin tones and the white beard texture is very nicely done.

JEN:   i messed up,   I missed where you said your Santa and Child was a pastel... oppps...  It is certainly a nice pastel.  You are really doing well with them.  

LETICIA:  you just hang in there.   I have many start sketch pieces in the "Round File" (Garbage)  that I just couldn't grasp.  Look at all the stories you just told about your own trials.... tee hee.....

SAM:  Jen had a great idea with the colored inks....  that sounds like it would be right up your alley....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:59 PM

FRED:   ADORABLE... and so creative...... great textures... and a new planet...   hmmmm

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 3:05 PM
Fred, perfect joining Santa and Ruthie and Bennie in time. Great job on the rocks too. MARSHA, no worries. LOL. SAMMY, I have a friend who has been trying them with her pen and ink pieces. You can dilute them with water like WC so you can get very subtle effects.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 4:17 PM

Sam..Your stippling work is just fantastic! I think for any kind of color I might think about a faint wash to just give a suggestion of the color of the leaves. Is this a white or red poinsettia? (sp.)

Karen...The beard and hair on your Santa are very well done and the color of his glasses seems like a really good choice too!

Fred...Great Santa and sleigh! I hope he has some presents for me. I've been kinda good this year so it can't be all coal for me ;) lol

Leticia...I just drew the figures in Breakfast in Bed  again and once again made the little girls face too long. Although this second time I liked the placement of the two bodies better than the one I did for my painting.  I need to practice that little face and then look again at the sketch on my painting and make tweaks to correct that one too. I have a book at home that explains the differences between an adult skull size/shape and a childs and need to get that out for some advice.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,391
Points 44,370
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 5:06 PM

Karen, very nice portrait.

Fred, very nice.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 5:51 PM

First Marsha you did a wonderful job last month with all your many photos I loved doing the challenge.

Sammy, welcome back and what a great idea anything white or off white but the Christmas theme too.  It is a busy time for me but I hope to do a painting or two. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 3 Dec 2013 5:54 PM

Thank you Marsha and Catherine for you nice comments on my poinsettia.  Marsha, I've been doing this a little bit at a time for several weeks.  Catherine, I don't know if I'll make it red or white or just the way it is.  Tomorrow, I should have time to play around with color.

Marsha, I've tried pointillism in the past and found it to be very difficult because not only is one working with values but also with color.  I found the pen and ink stippling to be much easier since I was concerned mostly with values.

Fred, what a great Santa and sleigh.  I love how brightly Rudolph's nose is shining.  As always, your mountains look great.  Looking forward to the adventures on Plant X.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 7:02 PM

Sam ~ This is a nice stipple drawing of the poinsettia.  Nice depth in the shadows.  I would personally use watercolors.  It would be a nice contrast with the black ink.  Just my humble opinion!!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 7:07 PM

HO HO HO Karen!  I agree with Sam.  Your textures are real nice; lots of brush movement.  I esp. like his spectacles!Star

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Page 4 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS