Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 29 Nov 2013 9:05 PM

Welcome to the All Media Photo Challenge - December 2013

Challenge:  Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes.  Use any medium and any style.  Stick to the photos exactly or just use them as a starting point.  Feel free to change colors or composition and to add or subtract elements.

Theme:  The theme for the month of December is White Christmas.  This includes any Christmas subjects and also any mostly white subjects.  It is amazing how many colors can be found in white subjects.

Artists appreciate your comments on their work.  Whether the work is completed or a work-in-progress, please comment in this thread.

The first three Christmas photos are from Public Domain.

Long Holiday Cap 

Yummy Gingerbread Men 

Thrilled to Meet Santa

These next four photos are by me.

This electric train was in motion and there is just a bit of blurriness.

Old World Santa

Old World Santa Close Up

My sister's great granddaughter is delighted.

The following photos are of white subjects.  However, feel free to paint any subject that is mostly white.

Hard Boiled - Public Domain

Portland Headlight, Maine - Public Domain

Roaring Waves - Public Domain

Surf and Gulls - Public Domain

Room for One More on Top - Paint My Photo (PMP) by PixelBloke

Roxie - PMP - Victoria

Sapphire - Public Domain

White Corellas - PMP - Sonia McKinlay

Study in White - Public Domain 

White Daisy - PMP - Viacheslav

Last but not least are four mostly white paintings by masters for examples.  Take note of the wonderful color in these white subjects.  If you wish, these paintings may be used as inspiration. 

Breakfast in Bed by Mary Cassatt

Interior of a Cottage by Beth Morisot

The Magpie by Monet

Lilies by Georgia O'Keeffe

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 200
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 29 Nov 2013 9:53 PM

Sam, it's so good to have you back. What a clever idea to make the theme "a white Christmas"! Beautiful photos and works of art! 

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Nov 2013 2:32 AM

Sammy so good to see you and this post.   great photos...  The "WHITE" Theme should be quite a challenge.   I might add that there is still time to use any of these for your Holiday card as well as the November Challenge Photos,  at least for a couple of weeks....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 30 Nov 2013 4:09 AM
Sammy it is so good to see you back up and running. As I Have been guarding these pictures for the passed few weeks "just in case..." it is great to see them up and you at the helm. It is an art day today for me and my birthday so a fun present. I can paint in peace without a furry black friend thinking it is play time!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 30 Nov 2013 7:20 AM

Happy Birthday Jen!

December's challenge photos are fantastic! I love all the light and shadows in them and of course, working with so much white is a real challenge for sure!

Sam it's good to see you back again!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 30 Nov 2013 12:53 PM

Fred, I try to be sure and post reference photos that would appeal to you since you are a landscape painter.  I can see bears and creatures from outer space on the high seas and on the beach.  A lighthouse would be fun to explore.  Monet's winter landscape would be a great place for your special friends to build a snowman or igloo.  Maybe even erect a Christmas tree.  You have more imagination that I have and will undoubtedly come up with some super ideas. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 30 Nov 2013 1:25 PM

Hi all, Gee Sam it's good to have back, here is one I just finished that has a touch of whiteDevil  Winter Home 11x14 w/c, gesso, gel medium

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 30 Nov 2013 4:28 PM

Sam, it is great to see you back. Your challenge of a White Christmas is beautiful lots of inspiring photos.

Fred, you certainly have a world of white in your painting. Lots of snow. And you have used colour to illustrate the shapes in the snow and the foot prints along the snowy path. The trees are really good.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 30 Nov 2013 4:48 PM

Fred, I love that you have used the gel medium to get texture and it shows in the beautiful trees.  The snow looks great.   I like that you used the same green for the shadows in the snow as you used on the trees.  It creates color harmony.  The warm glow in the windows is very inviting. It must be from the fire because I see smoke coming out the chimney.  The bear is going to be so comfy once he's inside.

I lived in a snowy climate for thirty years and have never regretted leaving.  It's beautiful but so brrrrrrr! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 30 Nov 2013 11:07 PM

Fred, I really like the effect you get with your gel paints. the snow looks great and of course the bear striding through it too!

Today I went to the studio and had a fine birthday paint. It still needs some work as the boy's hand is too big and nose and forehead are not right, and other bits but I will get it.

9x12 pastels

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Dec 2013 8:42 AM

Jen, your birthday paint had great results, this is charming. I love Santa's expression with his glasses riding down on his nose contemplating the boy's wishes. Looking forward to seeing it again after your few tweaks.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 1 Dec 2013 11:35 AM

Fred, this painting of the bear going home to his cabin in the woods is one of my favorites. The light in the windows looks so welcoming and the trees are particularly beautiful. This month, painting whites is a focus and you did a wonderful job on the snow - I love the pale nuances of color you've used to define it.

Jen, happy birthday! What a great way to spend your day. Even though you've mentioned things you want to tweak, I love the expressions on Santa's face and the little boy's. And you did a beautiful job on the whites and textures on Santa's furry hat and his beard.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 1 Dec 2013 11:46 AM

Jen,  you selected the most difficult subject in the lot but, why not, you can do it.  And you are doing it so well.  Like Alex, I noticed how well you did Santa's white hat and beard.  The flesh tones on the boy are great.  I particularly like his ear and his expression.  When you're finished tweaking this, it will great. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 1 Dec 2013 3:04 PM

Hi all, Jen that's a great painting and Santa looks charming and the boy is captivating, well here is another white.Somewhere a Barn 11x14 w/c gesso and gel medium

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Dec 2013 3:57 PM
Bonnie, Alex, Sammy and Fred, thank you for you comments and birthday wishes. It was such a cute picture I couldn't resist it. Yes ears have been one of those things that have defeated me so I am pleased it actually looks like one!! I won't get back to it for a while as I have a on appointment on Monday when I usually go to the studio. FRED, another beautiful white on white painting. You are good at these.

Page 1 of 27 (402 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS