New subject for art class..HELP!!!!

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105
on 1 Jul 2013 8:40 AM

I have to do a pencil still life of this photo.  How do I get the brick texture? What about the crumbling edges?  I can do a nice smooth pencil drawing with good values, but I want to capture the texture of the bricks.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 65
Points 1,490
on 2 Jul 2013 2:06 PM

one way to achieve the brick like texture is to use the pencil in an up in down motion to create dots...like stippling.  The darker you want the spots, the closer together you put the dots.  The lighter you want the spots, the farther away you put the dots.  You can also try using the pencil lead on an angle flat against the paper, and that will create large strokes that you can play with to create texture and pattern.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 265
dutch888 wrote
on 24 Oct 2013 4:57 PM

You can also try taking a razor to your paper and lightly scuff it to give a little more texture.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 265
dutch888 wrote
on 24 Oct 2013 4:57 PM

You can also try taking a razor to your paper and lightly scuff it to give a little more texture.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
Marina415 wrote
on 26 Oct 2013 5:34 PM

Hi Charlotte!

They key to getting the illusion of that texture is in the values. If you were to make this image black and white in Photoshop, or if you just squint at the image, you'll see that the "textured" look of the bricks is created by the many subtle value differences. Notice the different values of dots and especially, divets and pits in the bricks? If you get those values right, you'll create the look of the brick texture :) You won't even need all of the little divets! Only draw what you see when you squint, which simplifies the information in front of you, eliminating that which is unimportant.

The same goes for the crumbling edges: it's all about squinting and sensitively observing the value differences.

I hope that helps! :)

www.thedrawingsource.com - Online Drawing Tutorials, Exercises and Lectures

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
Sarah Gren wrote
on 3 Apr 2014 11:54 PM

If you are still waiting for answer, please check out http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-lessons/Artists/Tom-Fleming/Tom-Fleming-How-to-Paint-Brick.html . Its a video tutorial by Tom Fleming. Hope you'll get what you're looking for, its mostly basic though.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS