Challenge # 33 - July 2013

This post has 523 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 2:26 PM

Thank you Alex that was the easy part just mix up red and white about 1/2 way and dab it on with a big brush.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 5:29 PM
Geri, I like the boldness of your Red House. It's striking.

Marsha, Good to see you back! I like the blurred - movement effect for your tortoise's background. Excellent idea to keep up with digital art. Nice shading on your dancer, but I like the shadow on the wall that is subtle but there. Really great to see you at the art again too!!

Just getting to page 34, so I have lots to view yet for this month, and am eager to see it all. Have been so busy this month that I didn't get a chance to paint, but hope to in Sept..

Here are old self portraits that I meant to post in July but time was against me. The one with stippling was done as an example using only primary (unforgiving) colored markers, approx. 8 x 10. It was done 20-25 yrs. ago, whenever those big glasses were in (been so long, they're prob. in again!).  

The other is watercolor, about 9 x 12", done when in high school. For the latter, I did the body of a model in art class (her body was so similar that no one noticed...or else people noticed it looked better than me but had the decency not to say anything), and put my head on her outside of class time.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 31 Aug 2013 6:15 PM

Kim, these self portraits are wonderful! I like them so much and one of the many things I like is that they aren't gray, which took me aback with your recent SP. You look like a young poetess (or artist) in your school portrait and very pretty in the pointillist portrait. The styles are very different yet each is exquisite in its own way.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 6:30 PM

Thanks, Alex for your generous thoughts. The pose on the HS one was determined by the teacher, but I liked the set-up. The recent one done for this Chall. (I should have posted these with that at that time - sorry), was reg. pencil; hence the grey, but Geri has inspired me to think about SPs. I may even do one later that inc. a smile...maybe.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 7,100
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 6:31 PM

Geri ~ The Red House Over Yonder is wonderful!  I wouldn't worry about the lines - chalk it up to experience.  Your values from white to very dark and your colors makes this a stunning acrylic painting.  Love the blossoms too. This is a keeper.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 7,100
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 6:37 PM

Kim ~Your new profile self portrait really caught my eye!  I have done pointillism with black ink also, back in the day.  It must have been "all the rage", huh?  Your watercolor is so soft, esp. your facial features.  I see the light!  Luv itBig Smile

Nealey

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 7,100
NealeyPea wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 6:44 PM

Marsha~  Nice tortoise painting!  Question - do you have a stylus & pad connected to your computer?  I have played a bit in GIMP  (FREE & SAFE graphic download for anyone that is interested!) but I don't have enough control just using the mouse.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 10:11 PM

Kim, so nice to see your self portraits. I especially like the stippling one, it shows your beautiful features and lovely posture. It must have been very difficult using the pens. The watercolor sp is also great and I can't believe you did this in high school but you definitely captured that youthfulness in the painting. They are both lovely sp.

Geri, I wouldn't change the wires in your house painting if it is difficult to do. It is a beautiful painting. Love the colours.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 11:00 PM

Thank you Kim for the comment about Red House.

I like both of your SP but I like the stipple one the best.  The WC is fantastic for high school no matter who's body it is

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 11:06 PM

Thank you Nealey.  when I first saw that house I knew I had to paint it.  I had no camera or sketch book at the time (fall) so come spring I went all the way back (Hours drive just to take the picture)

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 1 Sep 2013 12:06 AM

Kim, I like both SP, the stippling looks difficult and it turned out beautiful. I'm very impressed with your skills at highschool age doing the watercolor portrait .

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 1 Sep 2013 12:14 AM

Geri, if it is to difficult, leave the lines, they are not an eyesore and the beauty of the house and the blossoms catches the eye. It's a very nice painting.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 7,100
NealeyPea wrote
on 1 Sep 2013 5:35 PM

Geri ~ Re: Red House photo.  That takes dedication to drive all the way back.  And it takes a good memory to remember it was there! LOL

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 12:21 AM

9I have been staring at this since July.  I finally finished it.  I found out that this is the only thing left of a big flour mill and this was the storage bins where the flour was stored until picked up by the railroad for delivery.  9 x 10 WC on 90# Fabriano.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 5 Nov 2013 3:48 AM

Geri, you've done a wonderful job portraying this monumental structure - and it is truly a pieces of Midwest Americana. By including the cars, you showed the vastness of the silos - very effective - and I like the way you painted the cylinders. They look old.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Page 34 of 35 (524 items) « First ...  < Previous  31 32 33 34 35  Next > | RSS