Challenge # 33 - July 2013

This post has 523 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 47,735
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Aug 2013 5:11 PM

Thanks everyone for all the good comments on my truck. I really have been fighting with it, but it just takes time to get back in the groove. It is not quite as bright as it shows, but the camera really picked up the reds. Sammy after looking and trying to " fix" the lopsidedness of the truck I decided that the tire on our left had to be flat or missing and that that side was in fact resting on the ground as is the front end. Anyway that is my story and I'm sticking to it!!! :)

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 7,960
NealeyPea wrote
on 2 Aug 2013 6:20 PM

Jen ~ Nice quick sketch of the violin player.  Us humans are hard to portray; so many shapes and sizes and poses!  Your truck painting really caught my eye instantly.  Good colors, esp. the highlights. Yes it sits awry and you got it!  I'm looking forward to more of your work.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Aug 2013 9:54 PM

Thank you all for participating in the July challenge.  There were a lot of great pictures posted while I was out of commission.  I thought they were all fantasyic especially Claudia's turtle tiles, Jens truck and of course Bonnies sp.

I am not going to comment on all the submissions because they are just tooooo numerous.  If I didn't mention your painting it was not because I did not like them they were all very good.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 9 Aug 2013 1:21 AM

Welcome back Geri

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 1,405
kushy wrote
on 10 Aug 2013 8:26 AM

Welcome back Geri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 24 Aug 2013 4:00 PM

Geri, so nice to see all the self-portraits and Americana in the July Gallery!  The old truck was certainly a huge hit! Thank you for posting the Gallery.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Aug 2013 10:32 PM

Here is a little acrylic painting I did Wed.  The Red House Over Yonder.  It is 8x10 (because I had an 8x10 frame to put it in) on gesso primed hardboard.  I thought that the electrical wires would help guide the eye int the picture but I think it leads it out of the picture.  This one isn't as crooked as it looks I think the photo was.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Aug 2013 10:52 PM

Hello my friend Geri,   I have a surprise for you ....   soooooon......

nice red house.  the guide wires were a bit confusing until I read what they were.    nice colors.

I have really been out of commission but now i will try to do a little catch up.  

I did two from July.    the first is a Tortoise.   my neighbor used to have them in her back yard and I took a picture one time of "Mikey" (she called him.   )    I have been playing around with digital art and I did this one.   kinda fun it was when I was recouperating with my hand.   I didn't have to use any water, or have to wash my hands, or bend my hand.. kept me busy.  

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Aug 2013 11:20 PM

here is another I just did this week. 

just a quick study of the ballet dancer.   I put her at a practice bar instead of the chair.     it is watercolor and watercolor pencil.    

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 31 Aug 2013 2:54 AM

Geri and Marsha, it is so nice to see both of you!

Geri, the red house with the blossoming trees is such a pretty subject. Unless you are really wedded to the concept of realism, my only recommendation would be to go back in with your acrylics and cover the overhead power lines. Maybe it is because I spent so many years with an architecture and engineering firm, but I just don't think power lines are aesthetically pleasing - the opposite of the house, which is definitely charming.

Marsha, good for you that you're willing to dabble in digital art! Although my very favorite medium for you is watercolor, I like the turtle and the digital approach allows you to be creative in a situation where you can't use your hands as freely as you would normally. In the ballerina painting, I love the subtle shadow or reflection on the wall and the fact that you've put her at the barre. Most of all, it's just so good to see you post.

Alex

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 3:05 AM

Geri, very nice acrylic of the house and blossoming trees. As, you suggested yourself, the lines do not lead the eye into your picture and I agree with Alex , too.

Marsha, very interesting how you did the turtle.I have to try something like this sometime. Beautiful job on the ballet dancer!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 965
Points 14,085
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 7:15 AM

Geri, very nice acrylic of the red house. I agree with the lines they take your eye up, up and away. Lovely blossoms against the house.

Marsha, so glad to see you are making a come back. The digital turtle is so cute,  I like his little sinister smile and really like the dark colours in his shadow.  Good for you for trying the digital work. Your ballerina is lovely with elegance, grace and strength.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 2:15 PM

Alex Marsha & bonnie thank you for your comments about my Red House.  I am not the best Acrylic painter around but thought this to be a hard subject for WC.  I thought about taking the lines out but it ia so hard to blend in new paint on dried paint so I don't know maybe and maybe  not.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 31 Aug 2013 2:20 PM

Geri, I meant to mention that the blossoms against the red house are beautifully done.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 2:23 PM

Good friend Marsha.  The surprise was having you back.  We missed you.  Your what I assume is a desert tortoise painting is nice your dancer is the better of the two. (good tush)..  I hope that your hand does not give you reacquiring problems in the future.  I hurt my had playing on the ice when my kids were small and now some days it really bothers me with arthritis.  Not enough to not paint or draw though.  Take care of yourself and hit yhe Sept challenge hard.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 33 of 35 (524 items) « First ...  < Previous  31 32 33 34 35  Next > | RSS