Challenge # 33 - July 2013

This post has 523 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jul 2013 10:19 PM

Bonnie,  this is a beautiful painting of the Lilly. The petals have beautiful soft translucent light and is just gorgeous and the green bg showcases it so well.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jul 2013 10:25 PM

Well I managed to slip this quick sketch of the lady playing the violin before the deadline. My computer has been slower than a dead tortoise tonight so hopefully I will get this posted okay!

just a quick sketch in my sketchbook with pencil. Lots of mistakes but I am getting back into the swing a bit.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 1 Aug 2013 5:49 AM

Bonnie, your lily is beautiful. I love how you've combined watercolor for the blossom with dark pastels for the background. The petals are lovely and you've given them shape, which is very tricky to do.

Jen, gee! Your "quick sketches" are always lovely! And this wasnt an easy subject with the hand and violin. You must be getting back into your art groove!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 1 Aug 2013 8:11 AM

Thank you Alexandra, Bonnie and Jen! Bonnie your lilly is very pretty and the colors are exactly like the yellow lillies I've seen. Very nice work. Jen I like your quick sketch of the lady playing the violin! Sketching is so fun to do. I'll stop by once in a while to say hi and if I get a chance I want to try one of this months challenge photos. Not sure what one though!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,539
Points 82,495
on 1 Aug 2013 10:22 AM

Jen, what a wonderful sketch and very well done, a tough subject but you did just great!

Bonnie, your lily is beautiful, love the translucent petals and the use of colors on the background,great job!

Geri, once again a big thank for your lovely hospitality  and for the beautiful selection of photos who inspired all of us in creating wonderful works!

Warmest regards,

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,539
Points 82,495
on 1 Aug 2013 10:43 AM

Catherine, again, your painting of ballerina is wonderful, another tough subject and you did a great job,beautiful!

Cristina

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 1 Aug 2013 5:43 PM

Bonnie ~ beautiful painting of the flower.  I can see the sunshine in it!

Catherine ~ I like how you changed the dancer's background - very creative.  And yes it was a difficult pose!

Claudia ~ the turtle tiles are great.  I bet you had fun painting them.

I have been AFK for a few days.  If I missed someone's art, forgive me.  There is a lot to catch up on.  And now on to a new month's challenge!  (The summer is flying by...)

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 1 Aug 2013 7:35 PM

Catherine, it's good to see your work.  Kudos to you for practicing figure drawing.  It is challenging but hang in there.  You did a good job on the ballerina.  I like that you replaced the chair with a box. 

Bonnie, what lovely, delicate colors you used one the lily.  Yellow can be a difficult color but you handled it well.  The dark green background sets it off well.

Jen, the portrait with violin is a challenging subject and you captured the feel of it in your quick sketch.  Good values in this drawing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Aug 2013 10:21 PM

Jen, great sketch of the violin player. When I look at all the lines going in different directions and angles, this looks very hard to do. I especially like the hand, the violin and her hat. Glad to see your getting back into your art.

Thank you, Jen, Alex, Catherine, Cristina, Nealey, and Sam for your lovely comments on the lily. Very much appreciated. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Aug 2013 10:45 PM

Thank you for the kind words on my sketch, Alex, Christina, Claudia, Catherine, Bonnie and Sammy.

I have been working on the old truck for a few days. It is taking me a while to get back in the swing and this has it's problems and needs some tidying up when it is dryer. Just too wet to do more today. Perspective gave and is still giving me fits and colours Likewise. I did an acrylic underpainting.

this is 9 x 12 canvas in oil.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 1 Aug 2013 11:00 PM

Jen, I like this very much and look forward to seeing it after you finish tweaking it. You caught the turquoise-teal color on the body and the bright reflected light on the windshield, hood handle and headlights beautifully.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Aug 2013 11:18 PM

Jen, your truck is very nice. The truck colours and the back wall are great. Will be waiting to see what you do next.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,355
Claudia S. wrote
on 2 Aug 2013 1:42 AM

Catherine, your ballet dancer is wonderful, I love the colors and the background. You managed that difficult subject so well.

Bonnie, your Lilly is just beautiful with all the different colors and shades.

Jen, you captured that expession of the violin player so well in your sketch. Will you do a painting of it? Your truck picture already looks exceptional!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Aug 2013 6:38 AM

Thank you Nealey, Sam and Claudia. Yes, it was a difficult pose but it was a fun try. Jen your truck looks great!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Aug 2013 8:37 AM

Jen, As you know, IMHO (in my humble opinion), color is the most exciting aspect of a painting.  You certainly didn't hold back with the color on your old truck painting.  There are so many wonderful colors on the truck and it does, indeed, look rusty.  You have some nice darks and highlights.  There are also some nice colors on the wooden fence on the right.  This is a super painting.

When Alex did this truck, I pointed out how the parts didn't line up.  That was a mistake on my part.  This old truck has been sitting in place for many, many moons and it would undoubtedly become out of sync during that time.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 32 of 35 (524 items) « First ...  < Previous  30 31 32 33 34  Next >  ... Last » | RSS