This post has 523 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 27 Jun 2013 11:05 PM

Welcome to the All Media Photo Challenge # 33 - July 2013

Target Posting Date: July 1 - July 31

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. This months theme is Americana. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photos exactly or just use them as a starting point.  Feel free to change colors, composition, and add or subtract elements. If you want a greater challenge post a self portrait .  Realistic to abstract as long as you think it fits you. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting! 

All photos are taken by myself except as noted                                

BE SURE TO POST THIS MONTH’S CHALLENGE WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN THIS MONTH’S CHALLENGE THAT IS NOT FROM ANY MONTHLY CHALLENGE, PLEASE POST IT IN THE 2013 CHALLENGE CHATTER THREAD.

Since July is the birth month of our nation (and mine) we will start off with OLD GLORY

This is photo of the washer woman taken at The Lore of the Laughrey in Friendship In. .

This is a photo of a young lady playing the fiddle in Madison In.

This is a public domain photo of a dancer

Another public domain photo of a longhorn bull

My favorite Jimi Hendricks song is RED HOUSE so when I seen this in Madison In. I had to take a picture.

This is a lily growing wild just down the road from the house I thought it was pretty 

Across the road from the lily is this candles of heaven aka yucca growing between the mail boxes

My wife likes turtles so this is for her.  It is a public domain photo. 

This is the old grain silo in Seymour In.

My son is always fixing really great meals on his grill. From brisket , to homemade bread, to pizza.  This is some kind of creole shrimp that he posted on facebook.

And for Fred who likes old barns and sheds here is one and an old truck to boot

I hope you can find something to paint or draw in here.  If not here is another challenge. DO A SELF PORTRAIT.  YALL HAVE FUN NOW YA HERE

NOTE: PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE YOUR OWN PHOTOS  AS REFERENCE PHOTOS IN ADDITION TO THE ONES PROVIDED HERE.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 230
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 28 Jun 2013 6:22 AM

Geri, this is an intriguing collection of images. Love that you chose Americana as the theme. I'm looking forward to trying some new subjects that I've never tackled before! On Sunday I'll post a note in the June Challenge reminding the new people to visit the July thread.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,888
Points 48,365
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Jun 2013 10:09 AM
Thanks Gerri for some great challenge photos. I hope when I eventually get home that I can get some done!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 28 Jun 2013 10:14 AM

Geri, this is a very nice collection of reference photos.  There should be some interesting paintings as a result of these images.  Is Americana the theme for July?  I looked for a theme but didn't find one mentioned.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 28 Jun 2013 10:47 AM

Oops, sorry, Geri! I think I looked at an earlier version of this July Challenge where you mentioned Americana ...

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 28 Jun 2013 11:38 AM

Yes Americana is the theme with an extra challenge to do a self portrait.Big Smile

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 28 Jun 2013 11:45 AM

Alex I had started one challenge and a glitch happened and I ha lost everything so I started over.  I then posted it and go to check it out and there was the first one with out me posting it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 28 Jun 2013 12:43 PM

Geri, you should be able to click on EDIT on the first post and delete it, if you haven't waited too long.  If you can't delete it, Courtney can.

You can add the theme information at the top of this thread by clicking on Edit.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
jeannemello wrote
on 28 Jun 2013 2:38 PM

I'll be working on a few of these. They all look interesting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 28 Jun 2013 2:40 PM

Hi all, Out of my comfort zone with this, I tried to make Ruthie into an Indian Princess [ she does have some Cherokee bloodlines ] but I don't profess to be a portrait artist 7x8 water soluble pencils on 140# hp paper

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 28 Jun 2013 3:15 PM

Hi Fred, it's nice to see the real Ruthie in your art. This looks like her, too (she was in a photo when you won your blue ribbon). I like that you let the white feathers blend into the background and didn't outline them. Regarding portraits, here's what I think ... If I can paint a grain silo this month (which I'm doing), you can do a portrait!

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 28 Jun 2013 4:44 PM

Fred, what a dear husband you are to think of painting Ruthie's portrait.  You did well with the facial proportions.  With just a little bit of shadows and molding she will look downright glamorous.  I love the headdress and like Alex, I like the lost lines in the feathers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 28 Jun 2013 6:02 PM

Hello, here is my portrait of an old grain silo. It is painted with gouache on 7" x 4" hot-pressed paper. 

Corrected version:

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 28 Jun 2013 6:37 PM

Alex, you placed that grain silo in a most dramatic setting.  The bright blue sky is lovely and the darker clouds forming are so interesting.  It looks like it may soon rain on the silo and it also looks like the sun is setting or rising. The terrain is interesting also.  Could there even be a body of water and a waterfall?  I like the multiple colors on the silo.  It's a lovely focal point, for sure.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 28 Jun 2013 7:27 PM

Sam, what looks like a waterfall is a road, but I didn't make that clear. I'll either remove it or put a car on it! Thanks for the tip - it's so easy to think our intent as artists is clear, so I doubly appreciate the feedback.

Alex

Page 1 of 35 (524 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS