Introduction

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 70
kaliuzhkin wrote
on 12 Mar 2013 10:12 AM

Allow me to introduce myself.  Fine art painting and drawing and photography are some of my hobbies.  I've had workshops and lessons from time to time from when I was about 6 - 10 y.o. up to a watercolor class at the NY Art Students League a few years ago.  As an undergraduate at the University of Michigan majoring in mathematics, I felt very frustrated and enrolled in the Art School so as to better express myself.  However, the realities of earning a living caused me to go back to mathematics.

Every once in a while, I get involved again with painting and drawing.  But then I feel frustrated because in order to really experience the satisfaction, I need to spend far more time on art than I have time for.

My late father is an inspiration.  He had studied at the school where Zero Mostel was on the faculty, and his primary subject and medium were cartoons done in pen and ink.  In his later years, he took up watercolor and tried to teach me how to do the latter.

I usually use pencil or conte crayon for sketching.  A few years ago, I noticed that most of the trees in my neighborhook have vertical lines, spaced about every half inch to every inch or two.  However, I've never seen trees painted or drawn this way.  I thought of watercolor or ink for the bark with the lines drawn with pen.  I considered colored pencils and pastels.  I taught myself pastels and have finished my first pastel painting.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/Dan-the-K/My%20produced%20art/Pastel%20Tree/DSC_2492.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/Dan-the-K/My%20produced%20art/Pastel%20Tree/DSC_2487.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/Dan-the-K/My%20produced%20art/Pastel%20Tree/DSC_2495_100k.jpg

I am very happy with this work and want to go on with a painting that includes more trees, as in the pencil layout.

I look forward to working with the forum.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 4,625
on 13 Mar 2013 10:20 AM

kaliuzhkin—

Welcome abord!  You are among friends, sharing our love of art and the joy of creativity.

Best of luck—

Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 1,405
kushy wrote
on 20 Mar 2013 1:17 AM

Hi every one.I like drawing,painting and photography.Drawing I like these but it will not comes as a fine art.Still practicing to get it neat.Painting I am not doing regularly.When I have camera I like to capture everything around me.I like to see all good memories when I feel alone and upset .

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
aimanz wrote
on 22 Mar 2013 6:44 PM

hello everyone my name is Aiman and I want to be able to draw the human figure in any pose that I want. I love to look at the drafts of Raphael (School of Athens etc) and Leonardo, Jim lee etc.

I draw everyday, just want to know, can anyone recommend a software that I can download that can atleast help me in putting a figure in different poses and looking at it in grid form and line form with shadows , I should have those options I mean. I got the idea from the phone app called Poser Tool  3D. It allows a person to set up a pose and look at the figure in grid form, line form...from any angle etc etc....I think when I am at a coffee shop, park etc it is great to draw using just my laptop and this software. (My phone would be too small plus that app is not compatible with my phone CPU)

I will be joining a human figure class in June and so I need to prepare !!

please can anyone recommend such a software ? Thx

Aiman

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 4,625
on 23 Mar 2013 11:48 AM

Hi Aimanz—

I am going to recommend a book rather than software—"Life Drawing" by Robert Barrett. It is a North Light book and you can find it at:   http://www.northlightshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Life+drawing+by+Robert+barrett

I recommend the paperback rather than the digital version. Use the paperback version as you would a workbook. I continually suggest this as a way of learning because you learn to draw by drawing. The skills you need can only be learned and perfected through practice. 

Earlier this month, I bought this book myself. I have been drawing the figure all my life and this is one of the best books on the subject I have seen.

Good luck—

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
aimanz wrote
on 23 Mar 2013 2:52 PM

Thank you very much. Really appreciate it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS