Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 1:11 AM

Just had a go at this before I wandered off to bed. It needs more work. As my beloved said as he wandered through "that's not him!" No it is not Dad> I'll try some more tomorrow!

In my sketchbook 2b pencil

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Feb 2013 1:48 AM

Jen, the photo of your youthful parents is a difficult one and you have a good start on it.  You got their jesters.  I find small faces to be really tough but I know you'll get it.  It may be a good idea to play down the fence some and emphasize the figures.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 6:33 AM

Thank you Sam ,Jen ,Suzanna and Catherine  love your birds Sam very cheerful, keep at it Jen it's a difficult subject especially for you since you will be more critical than us. Hope things go better for you now Suzanna its not much fun at the Dr. office

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 12:41 PM

Jim, I love your cats with the blue eyes and ears, you always do such a good job of flowers, nice romantic painting. Sam, your rainbow birds bring a flash of tropical colour, I can feel the tropical heat, wish I was there. Jen, it must be nice to work on a sketch of your parents and imagine what it was like for them years ago. Also there is the pressure of trying to capture them as you know them. Nice work.

I'm posting something I don't think you wanted a lot of, but since the theme is love, romance etc. and I've been trying different patterns of the zentangle that Sam introduced for the blue jay on hearts to give to my three Grandchildren (and they will discover zentangle). These are addicting and a lot of fun to do. Now I just have to figure out how to put them on a card or something???

Pen and ink, 5 X 7 Robert Bateman Artist Quality Sketchboook

Jen, I have been working on one of the challenge photo's, but as usually, have not done a very good job with the background and am starting it again. Maybe this time it will turn out ok.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Feb 2013 1:24 PM

Thank you Jim and Bonnie for your kind words about my avians.

OMG Bonnie, I love what you've done with the Zentangle.  One Valentine is prettier than the other.  Working the black between shapes makes them vibrant.  Did you use a pen for the black?  Is it a Micron or Gelly Roll pen? Love the lace on the first one and love the ruffles on the last one even more.  You have a lot of patterns that I've been playing with.   I don't think that Jen or anyone else would mind if a lot of this type of work is posted here.  In fact, I was considering doing the same thing later this month.  After all, this is the All Media Challenge.  Take a bow for work well done.  These Valentines are spectacular. I'm impressed! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 2:01 PM

Thank you Sam, I'm not sure about the pen I used, my Mother gave it to me some years ago and all I know is what is written on it, PILOT Hi-tecpoint V5 Grip and to fill in larger areas I used a Faber-Castell PITT artist pen, indian ink. I am not able to get special type pens here and just used what I had on hand.  The PILOT is not perminent and will run if it gets wet, and may not be a good choice for this, I tried using the indian ink pens but they made the drawing to dark. The one ruffle didn't turn out as I had wanted and if I have enough time may do another one, I was trying to make it more for a boy.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Feb 2013 2:10 PM

Bonnie, you should post them on the Member's Gallery.  I'd be curious as what kind of response you would get.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 2:12 PM

Bonnie thanks for your nice comment I am so Impressed by both yours and Sams zentangle work these three are really really good I know I'm going to have to try this on something again kudos

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 3:16 PM

Bonnie your Valentines are so creative!  They would make great cards too.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 3:18 PM

Jen you've taken on one of the hard photo challenge pictures. Kudos to you!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 3:37 PM

Beeutiful work Jen and Bonnie I picked the easy one  pastel pencils on5x7 Bristol vellum 100#

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 3:42 PM

Jim and Catherine, thank you for your comments. When I looked up what zentangle was, I was surprised by how many different zentangle patterns there are some very structured and some more organic, lots of fun to put togetter.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Feb 2013 3:56 PM

Fred, you will be an expert with those pastels in no time at the rate you're going.  You say you picked an easy one but many people have trouble with trees.  This cold, icy tree is really well done and certainly speaks of winter.  This is another one of your famous and gorgeous skies.  I love the colors.  And, I do believe that the bear is ice skating.  You have so much fun and I have to smile at you paintings. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 6:45 PM

Fred, your pastel winter scene is very nice. You have captured the lovely soft glow of the inspirational photo and Mr. Bear seems to be eyeing up the tree, maybe for a snooze.  Well done.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 2 Feb 2013 8:04 PM

Jim, your painting of the kitties and flowers is charming. You are a master of flowers and, if this is drawn from life, you must have the most beautiful vases in your home! I love that the color of the flowers to the front is slightly more vibrant and gets softer as they are further from the viewer. The vase is exquisite.

Sam, oil pastel colors are such a feast for the eyes and this is a perfect subject for them! This is a wonderful portrayal of the Rainbow Lorikeets and they pop against the background. Your visit to their habitat sounds delightful.

Jen, an excellent start to the portrait of your mom and dad. This is one of the most challenging photos for this month, I believe, with its foreshortened arms and legs in the photo and you've done a great job of blocking in the poses.

Bonnie, what better place for these heart-shaped Zentangles than our month of "love and chocolate"? I love the patterns and they look like so much fun to draw.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Page 2 of 22 (324 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS