Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 30 Jan 2013 3:08 PM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE 28-February 2013 Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date: February 1st - february 28th, 2013.

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note: When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post. We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what. An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts. (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Sam know and she will send instructions to you.)

( To submit photos and suggestions for these challenges, please start a "conversation" with Holly {Holland2} here on this forum and attach your photo or photos OR - volunteer to host the thread for a specific month. Check out the Volounteer Hosting Schedule thread.

Theme for the month, Romance, Chocolate and cold weather! Seems like this short month has all that so let's see what you can do! I probably should have put in more flowers for you flower lovers and some wine, so feel free to add your own! :)

Romance

1. My Mum and Dad Courting, circa 1938

2. My grandaughter age 4 and friend age 18months. Photo by me

3. Sammy's Great  Grandchildren, Lauryn and Lucas. Photo by Sammy

4. Rainbow Lorikeets. Photo by Sammy

6. Swans, Photo by Sammy

7. Flower and glass. Phot Public domain

8.Venice, city of romance. Photo public Domain

9. Kingfisher. Photo by Karrie Just for you bird lovers

Snow

10. Snowy Day, Public Domain

Chocolate

11. Choclate surprise, I wasn't allowed to post the wonderful chocolate pics that Marsha sent so a  substitute I thought it might be fun to paint! Photo Joyce

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 31 Jan 2013 9:14 AM

Jen, great photos.  Yummy, yummy chocolate cake!  I love the yellow rose with wine glass.  And, of course, I'll have to practice Zentangle on those lorikeets, swans and kingfisher. Very nice light reflections on the Venice canal scene.  Romance is in the (cold) air so let's celebrate with some romantic paintings and munch on chocolate while creating them.  Yummy!

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 10:13 AM
Glad you like them Sammy. I was frustrated I could not use Marsha's pictures as they were wonderful but I guess we still have plenty to choose from. Hope you will all dig in! As I can't seem to change it now please note the SWANS photo was from PUBLIC DOMAIN. Sorry for the error

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 31 Jan 2013 1:35 PM

Jen, I'm really writing this just to bring this thread to the top of the page so that people don't miss it.  I'm sorry that you couldn't use the chocolate photos. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 4:15 PM

Challenge is the key here...wow. Great photos though. Thanks for gathering them.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,340
on 31 Jan 2013 6:47 PM

Hi Jen, LOVELY photos from you, Sam, and public domain! Although still working on some from Geri's wonderful January collection, I can't wait to get started on these as well!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 8:59 AM

A February Morning .       I had been working on this for a couple days so all I had to add was the single rose and valentine

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 1 Feb 2013 9:45 AM

Jim, congratulations on being the first to post on the February Challenge.  Love your cats.  It looks good that you repeated the blue of their eyes in their ears and on their fur and the coral of the cup on the Valentine and the flowers.  It may help to anchor items with shadows that are a little darker and shape the vase and cup with some darks and lights.  This is a very nice February painting.  Are the cats romantic?  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 12:04 PM
Jim, thanks for starting us off with this sweet valentine painting! I love the cats, you did a great job on the vase and cup and the yellow rose and valentine round it off nicely. Good job on those elipses too! I would look at the right hand ( our right) cat's eye as his right eye looks slightly off. I love that bright eyed stare of the one on the left.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 1 Feb 2013 2:25 PM

Well, I'm not timid about getting started on the February Challenge.  Some of you have seen this painting before since I did it a while ago.

Amorous Avians - 10"x14" Holbein, Senns and Neopastel oil pastels on Colorfix primed hot pressed watercolor paper.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 2:38 PM
Yea, Sammy I love this! I remember it too and well worth showing again. I love how bright those OP are. They are the perfect medium for these colourful birds and you are the one to make them sing! Hopefully everyone is busy making art and will show up soon. I hope I didn't make the challenges too hard Kim. Remember they are a means to inspiration, you don't have to copy the photos exactly you can just take an idea and make it your own.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Points 1,500
ohsuzanne wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 5:22 PM

Jim,  Love your paintng!  I agree with Sam,  I love the way you kept the blue from the cats eyes to the ears. Love it!

Sam,  I just love the birds.  Such beautiful colors.  Very well done!

Great art works.

Sorry I haven't been on line to much for the January challenge.  I have been going for so many Doctors appointments and test.  This month should be better.  I will try very hard to keep up with all the posts. 

Suzanna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 5:37 PM

Sam and Jim  ....you both have some beautiful art there.

Jim that flower vase and flowers is really well done! I can see the roundness of the vase so well as you've shaded the flowers on the vase perfect. imho. What a sweet idea for Valentines Day.

Sam..your birds remind me of a tropical postcard. The colors are so bright and rich looking. I found some water-soluble graphite pencils I'd like to try. Might be interesting.

Jen...The Challenge photos are great but I'm just not sure which one(s) to do yet. I hate to say I'm going to do a certain one as I might end up not doing it so I think I'll just make it a surprise. I'm still looking at the orchid background as I haven't even started that yet. I have been working on a grouping of 3 gourds and brown clay pot still life pencil drawing but it has a way to go. We are expecting snow all weekend and I don't plan on going anywhere so maybe I can finish it.  I need to get organized as I have art books, art magazines, still life stuff, boxes for still life stuff, a drawing table loaded with more art stuff and at least two unfinished paintings laying around. along with a kitchen table full of pencils, brushes, drawing books, watercolor paper etc. etc. to straighten up :( I hate being unorganized as it effects how I  paint and draw. This lack of sunshine is getting to me this year for some reason. I'm ready for Spring! So to make a long story even longer...I may be a late this month with my Challenge painting/drawing :)

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 1 Feb 2013 6:31 PM

Thank you Jen, Suzanna and Caroline for your comments on my Amorous Avians.  My hubby, Jay and I drove up to the Jacksonville zoo two years ago and had such a good time in the Lorikeet exhibit.  The birds sat on our shoulders, heads and hands.  They are such good subjects for paintings.  I'd love to see if somebody else does them.

Suzanna, I'm glad that you have the doctor appointments behind you and I hope that everything is alright.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 11:21 PM
Suzanna, sorry to hear you have had health problems. I know we have grown a lot the last few months but hope you will be able to join us this month and hopefully find something to inspire you.

Page 1 of 22 (324 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS