challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,862
Points 47,770
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 11:12 PM
Kim your little snowman card turned out really nicely. I hope now you have wet ypur feet you will post some more of your work. FRED, your Mars colony is getting well organized politically.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,862
Points 47,770
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 11:16 PM
Sammy you have some very good looking men in your family. Great painting of your great grandson.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 10 Jan 2013 9:11 AM

Good morning, all!

Oil pastels are a topic of conversation here now, so I’ve resurrected two old ones. The first, pears, is done in my very favorite colors. Now, however, I would put the left-hand pear on more solid footing so it looks as though it is actually leaning down on the table and would also create a wider value range between light and dark.

The new avatar is an OP detail drawn from a Los Angeles County Art Museum painting done in one of my art classes there. Those classes included pencils, oil pastels, and a sketchbook for each student, and that was where I discovered OPs.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 10 Jan 2013 10:37 AM

Alex, so you are an expert with OPs as well as all your other talents!!!   Color is your forte and you don't fail us with these two.  The pears look fantastic and extremely interesting since one doesn't usually see purple pears.  I love that artistic license.  The colors in the fan are also beautiful.  I think the left pear is fine but understand what you mean about using more darks to ground it if it were tilted so that the top of it touches the table.  Thanks for sharing these.  They are wonderful.  I hope you post them on The Member Gallery.  

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 10 Jan 2013 10:42 AM

Jen, thank for the compliments about the handsome men in my family.  I agree that they are.  That photo was taken seven years ago when my hubby was 73.  You would never know it, would you.  And he still looks good at 80.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 4:54 PM

Alex your new avatar picture is beautiful!

Thank you everyone for tolerating my melt down last night. I decided that I am not parting with the chick picture and certainly not for 2 bottles of oil soap. What was I thinking??  I've come to the conclusion that in the future I'm the one who ultimately controls when and who sees my art and whether or not it's a candidate for a give away or for sale.  I'm really not a hot mess of a person but felt totally out of control when I had two people standing there wanting the same picture at the same time and then one of them, bless her heart, feeling that she would be furthering my art "carreer" if she commissioned paintings and litteraly taking me to her beach house so I could paint for her. She meant well I know. I think part of owning who you are as an artist means accepting the sort of artist you are and then being ok with it while at the same tiime being polite with other's while staying true to who you are as an individual.  I do love to give friends and coworkers little paintings so from now on I'll decide ahead of time what ones I want to keep and what ones I'm ok giving away or even selling. At least people WANT my work and aren't struggling to stand there trying to find something nice to say about it. Funny how one loses perspective sometimes.  Ok.now back to painting for me as there are so many bird houses and so little time ;)

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,862
Points 47,770
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 5:09 PM
Alex, great looking pears. I agree with Sammy that you really use colour well. The lady with the fan is another fine example of your use of colour.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,862
Points 47,770
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 5:13 PM
Catherine I really wouldn't worry about venting here this is what the chatter forum is all about. I think your concerns are not unique and probably shared by many of us here.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 6:39 PM

Catherine I didn't notice any meltdown just someone with a problem that needed someone to talk to.  It will come easier with time.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 10 Jan 2013 6:58 PM

Catherine, good for you.  You've been doing a lot of thinking and you came out right on top.  I find that I do better if I paint what pleases me, therefore, I do not accept commissions.  I had a man literally beg me to do portraits of his children.  I said that if I start taking commissions, I have a job and I don't want a job.  Enjoy painting and let us enjoy seeing your work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 7:14 PM

My feelings exactly Sam.  I may be inspired by what they want me to paint and go ahead and paint it the way I want it.  He or she can buy it then if I choose to sell.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 10 Jan 2013 10:19 PM

Catherine, it was so moving to read what you wrote. I'm with Sam and Geri and you all the way. Creating art must release seratonin or dopamine inside my brain because it makes me so happy, and I want to enjoy it, not feel that it is a chore in any way. Although I'm interested in seeing what I do that people respond to and whether or not my work is saleable, it is a rewarding labor of love, not something I have to do. 

It is great that you know people respond so positively to your art and want to own it.

Alex

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 10 Jan 2013 10:24 PM

Thank you all for your comments on my pears and avatar. Oil pastels are my favorite medium although I'm in a phase of learning how to use WC pencils right now.

Alex

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 11 Jan 2013 12:38 PM

Alex, The avatar is gorgeous and the pears are so colorful...inspiriing. Yes

Catherine,  bottom line is that you're comfortable with your choice now, and that's great. Glad you have your confidence back.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 2:16 PM

Thought I would get on the chatter line for a bit   this is prelude to a kiss

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 65
Page 7 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS