challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 6:42 PM

Kim you've been so helpful. Thank you. I read the article in the link you posted and the author said she doesn't price her paintings for more than her rep utation as an artist can sustain. With that thought in mind I think I will trade the chicks for a couple of bottles of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint oil soap as I make my own laundry detergent and I'm out of oil soap. I'm trading the chick painting to her because I'm giving her another one I did last month and if I give her two then other people I've given a painting to will feel I'm not being fair or something.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 7:22 PM

Catherine, it sounds like a case of you being quite good, but not confident. I've seen your art in your gallery and this one of the chicks; you have every reason to be self confident about your work.

If you're very happy with the deal, then that's a win-win.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 7:25 PM

To everyone who get's auto emails when posts come up. Originally I had a long drawn out 'thinking to myself outloud" post that I had put up to Kim's response. After I saw it on the forum here I realized I was really going on and on about things that had nothing to do with with the price of art. I have learned how to edit now and just went in and took 3/4 of all that out. So, if you wonder why the email says one thing and the post here says another that's why. I was just processing out loud because I was a little stressed this evening. I had some soup so I'm all better now :) 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 7:27 PM

Thanks Kim. I appreciate you saying that to me. I was a little stressed about it.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Jan 2013 7:38 PM

Catherine, I have sold some paintings that I really liked and regret it.  If you would like to keep the chicks for yourself, make a print for her and sell it for $25.00.  A print that is 7X10 with a 2" mat will fit into a standard 11x14 frame.  Don't sell yourself short.  You are a fine artist.  

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Jan 2013 7:45 PM

Since we were talking about my great grandchildren in the other thread, I thought I'd share this photo that I treasure of four generations of males in my family.  This was taken seven years ago.

The man in the back is my dear husband, Jay.  The man on the right is my son, Bill.  They don't look alike because Jay isn't Bill's father.  The young man on the left is my grandson, Jason.  The baby is my great-grandson, Clayton.  He was born two months early and spent a bit of time in the hospital.  He's seven now and has made up for those lost two months.  The portrait I did of the laughing boy is Clayton.

Laughing Clayton at six-years-old.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 7:46 PM

Don't laugh when I say this Sam but I'm afraid that selling my paintings will make it all different somehow. I like this feeling of having my own little private experience with my paintings. If I sell them or print them off it won't be the same anymore. If I give them as a gift then it all stays special. It was hard to print my Christmas cards off but it was nice sharing them with all of you though. Someone wanted to buy a bunch of them and I just couldn't cross that line so I just gave the person a few I had extra. She was really irked that I wouldn't cooperate with her on that. Maybe some day I'll get over that.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 7:53 PM

Sam, the photo is a treasure, but the portrait is breathtaking (as is your baby portrait that I just peeked at). Clayton has sure grown into a handsome young fella.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 8:05 PM

What a great family photo. The portrait of Clayton is wonderful and  I'm sure his mom and dad just treasure it.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Jan 2013 8:24 PM

Thank you Kim and Catherine.

Catherine, I'm not laughing.  If you want for your art to be a hobby, that's just fine.  Enjoy it.  Don't let anybody talk you into anything you don't want to do.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 9 Jan 2013 8:26 PM

Fred, hmmm. I love this but it almost looks like they are meeting in the center of the Roman Coliseum. I hope the it my imagination and there aren't lions behind those dark patches that look like they might be entrances. Just a thought from a non-one-percenter!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 9 Jan 2013 9:15 PM

Sam, Clayton looks like the kind of kid you just want to hug! Beautiful!

Jim, will you post the iris painting here so everyone can see it? If you could lighten the photo a little, it would be great - I'm waiting for cataract surgery and it was a little difficult to see the details.

Marsha, so touching to hear about Jimmie Wilkins. I can tell it is a labor of love for you - so good of you. On another front, I've been trying to send you a conversation message today but don't think it's going through. If you receive a large flat envelope from Virginia, it's from me. :-)

Catherine, it is really a sensitive and emotionally-chargef issue for us to price our work, especially when there is no precedence for selling it. Regarding the beach painting opportunity, I hate flying, too, and that was one of the reasons I moved to within dring and Amtrak distance of my son and grandchildren upon retirement. So, my thought is that you should do what you're comfortable with.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Jan 2013 10:23 PM

Fred, I'm so sorry that I missed your painting.  Those are interesting creatures in interesting colors.  It looks like Bernie is conducting the meeting.  Hopefully, they will do better than Congress in resolving issues. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Jan 2013 10:26 PM

Alex, unless you have an Apple, you should be able to hold down the Ctrl key and press the + key to enlarge pictures.  I have trouble seeing also but that helps a lot.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,820
Points 46,915
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 11:08 PM
Marsha you are really getting good with all these different mediums. This Op is so vibrant and the reflections are great. I have trouble with all those elliptical things too. I am glad your elderly band leader is doing well. What an amazing man he must be.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 6 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS