challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 5:25 AM

Thanks Alex,  I saw what you were talking about.   I had it correct originally but over shot the shadow and lost my curve,  I have corrected the bottom of the cup and all is good now,  thank you

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 6:04 AM

Marsha this is a very pretty still life. I love the colors.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 8 Jan 2013 7:43 AM

Marsha, I was going to say that now you got your feet wet with OPs but should say that now you got your hands dirty.  You did a good job with them and I love all the shiny reflections and colors.  The only suggestion I have has already been mentioned by Alex.

Some facts about OPs:

It is best to work on papers with tooth.  You are able to get more layers with a toothy support.  I add tooth by applying gesso and smoothing it with a foam roller or by adding Colorfix Primer the same way.  You can buy Colorfix papers but the primer is cheaper.  You also can add pumice to acrylic paints.  If you are using white gesso or Colorfix Primer, you can add any color of acrylics to tint it.  You can use paper for support or illustration board or masonite board - there are many possibilities.

If your OPs are hard and some brands are, they can be warmed up before using them.  A microwave for a second or two or three or set them on something that is barely warm.  Maybe a heating pad set very low with some padding between the OPs and the heating pad.  You don't want to melt them, just soften them.

Sennelier are the softest OPs and the harder ones are Caran d'Ache Neopastels and Erengi.  I haven't tried any other hard OPs.  My favorite brand is Holbein - neither too soft or too hard.  You will find all kinds of tips and suggestions on the OP forum on Wet Canvas.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 8 Jan 2013 8:07 AM

Marsha and Everybody, it has been a few years since I had my students order this.  Maybe you can still get it.  Email Tommy Esposito at uart@uneeda.com and request samples of Uart pastel papers.  Don't forget to give him your mailing address.  He sent each of my students a package of 15 sheets (7"X15").  Uart comes in different degrees of coarseness and the lighter sheets can be used for colored pencil as well as pastels and oil pastels.  You can read about it on their Web site.  I was about to give you the link but then remembered that Artist Daily will block this post if I include a link.  Try www(dot)uartpastelpaper(dot)com.  Let me know if you get it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 4:56 PM

Sam - Thanks for sharing the link. I see that Dick Blick carries that paper and I want to put in an order from them very soon, so will add the pastel paper. I don't usually do pastels, but it looks fun. My next proj. aside from the Jan. chall., will be to an acrylic ptg. (portrait), so will need to look into the rec. colors/brands for that to tack onto my DB order too.

Marsha - Your reflections are awesome. Your colors certainly put the "life" into still life! Yes

Alex - So glad to see your female cardinal. She doesn't get enough attn., but she's a beauty, as you have demonstated. Lovely ptg. with rich browns.

Fred - "Happy" comes to mind upon seeing your ptg. - perhaps it's the colors or the theme. Either way, it makes me smile.

Holly - What an outstanding ptg.! I would not have thought of making the comp. and color chgs. you did, but your creativity paid off for this, turning a good photo into a super ptg.. So sorry to hear of your nephew's struggles with ALS. It's sad, but it's good he has a little one to distract and to think of.

I'm still playing around with how to best post work, so here's just a quickie (as in 15 min) watercolor and ink that I began yrs. ago. It started as just the snowan with suggestion of foreground and a sky. However, I had accidentally hit my pen on the sky, so a noticeable black line showed up in the sky! I put it in a pile to make into a card someday, and today I needed a card. THEN proceeded to improve it by adding snow flakes to cover my pen mark, THEN ruined it (supposed to be birds trying to get his scarf to put on...but it looks like a snake or worse and the birds don't look like birds - didn't even look at a ref. photo so it serves me right, and FINALLY salvaged it for the better - I think.

To fix this, I cut away the scarf and birds gone wrong, cut up an old greeting card to recycle (keep a box of that around) for a blue color to go with the snowman (the bottom edge was asymmetrical in its contour but I didn't mind it) - it's the furthest back piece; added a blue cut out from the same card to act as a front flap;, then scored the top ptg. for it to open easily, and added a darker paper inside (loose) to write a short note on, which is folded so the writing  won't show when first viewing.

Anyway, the horrible snake-scarf is out and I think it's a much better solution to have this like the above with  the snowman's bottom to act as a tuck-in tab.

Posting this will give me more exper. with this forum's ins/outs. Thanks for your patience.

I haven't sent this off yet as a card if you have suggestions.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 8 Jan 2013 5:47 PM

Kim, your snowman card is so cute.  I love the way you gave him a base.  Love the snow flakes.  I don't think that the birds went wrong but at least one of them survived.  If you know someone who is sick this winter, send this to them saying that you are sending a "cool dude" to cheer them up.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 7:40 PM

Sam and Jen:  Thank you both for your sharing your inputs and expertise with me.   I appreciate it.  I am in a new world.  I feel excited about it.  

Alex:   I re-read my response I made to you and realized it had a double entendre.. ("I had it correct originally, but over shot the shadow and lost my curve" )    hmmmm you get what life deals you.... regarding loosing the curve  ...   tee hee....

Kim:   Very cute card.   I love when mistakes can be turned into treasures...  

Holly:  I'm sure everyone will enjoy your pie....   I used to make simple cinnamon sticks out of the leftover dough  or glazed walnut roll ups with cinnamon and sugar.       I come from Walnut and Almond country....  Northern California....

Extra chatter note:   Saturday I had my regular Jazz event and that particular band leader is 91 and was in Count Basie's band,   The band was magnificent,  but afterward, he collapsed and we thought OMG he is dying right here in front of us,  while  the ambulance  took him to the hospital,  I went to his house  to get his wife .   but amazingly he is ok, the hospital called and he was going to be sent home.  he just had a low blood pressure episode due to not eating all day.  I stayed with her until our friends brought him home because she was beside herself...  it was a scary evening...His big band is great and gets the most fans to come in to see him....   He's been a dear friend of mine for 18 years...  I know his time is coming but we want to hang on to him...     I started this producing big bands because of him.   The band had no place to play in Las Vegas until I started this now I have 7 or 8 big bands but if something happens to him I 'm giving it up its become to stressful to keep doing this ....His wife told me this is what is keeping him alive looking forward to the first Saturday of each month to lead his Big Band.       His Name is Jimmy Wilkins if you want to look him up on the internet.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 8:52 PM

Thanks Sam & Marsha - at least it gave me some more exper. posting a photo here. With your votes of confidence, I'll be sure to send it off tomorrow.

Marsha, the info. on Jimmy Wilkins was interesting. I enjoyed listening to the YouTube of the band, as well as reading an interview online. He mentioned playing trombone and my 11 yr. old daughter just started playing trombone this yr.. So far she is barking notes, but I actually guessed at her song tonight so perhaps there's hope yet. I'll have her listen to Jimmy's band to inspire her. Thanks for sharing.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 9 Jan 2013 5:26 AM

Kim, very clever to save what you liked about the drawing and incorporate it into another piece! Your shading on the left effectively suggests the graininess of snow and gives the drawing dimension. I especially love the addition of the delicately drawn snowflakes. It's great to have you participate!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 7:57 AM

Kim...I wonder how it would look if you put two tiny pin holes on either side of the neck and then drew a red, green, blue or whatever color piece of yarn through and tied it in front like a scarf? Might be interesting and it would be a multimedia snow man then :)

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 8:56 AM

Alex and Catherine - THANKS very much!

Alex, I wish I had used stippling vs. some hatching when I began the snowman yrs. ago, to show the effect you mentioned even better. Hindsight.

Catherine - great idea!  I'll look for a  piece of yarn today.

Chgd. my mind on who to send this to...will instead give to my 100+ yr. old aunt who I'll visit tomorrow...save a stamp then! I have an art kit to give her if she regains from her current ill health - I had her paint some ptgs. (first for her) during prev. visits. Will tuck the card on the gift as a general Hello/Thinking of You card.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 1:04 PM

Hi all I call this Council meeting about the1%  Another in my Mars series as the story evolves and trying not to be too political 11x14 140# arches CP

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 3:41 PM

Fred that is a great painting!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 3:44 PM

A Question for anyone who can answer. Someone wants to buy the lastest watercolor of the 6 chicks. It's 9x12 and watercolor only, I'd say total I had at least 3 full hours in it.  It probably would be unframed and unmatted. I've never sold a painting before. What sort of price should I put on it?

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 5:19 PM

Fred - love the bear! The other char. are very creative.

Catherine, I thought you had a very good ? re. pricing, so I briefly looked it up. I found the article

http://www.artistdaily.com/blogs/theartistslife/archive/2009/12/18/a-simple-formula-for-pricing-artwork.aspx

and a similar article online by Maria Brophy (she has a very cool website if you just put her name with dot com after it), which even inc. some of the above author's words, but it states that Maria uses $1.50 per square inch, not the much higher amt. mentioned in the above. There are variables mentioned in the above link, such as oil ptg. being more, professional, etc., so the diff. are understandable.

I found a You Tube video (gosh, there is everything on that!), which I found the most helpful. If you search in YouTube for How To Price Your Artwork by Cedar Lee, you should find it. She uses $1 per square inch (2010), and hers are oil, and she has sold quite a bit. I thought her video was quite helpful and worth viewing all for her tips, such as not wanting to lower prices as you go along. I think region of country varies too. She may have mentioned how much you want to sell it. Sometimes I know I would only part with something if I did get a very good price, or else I would consider making a copy of it and selling the copy for less.

I don't have that much exper. at sales (sold a ton when I was young, but now I give away as gifts since I do so little, etc.), but I can tell you that many yrs. ago I priced a ptg. at a much reduced cost to my best friend. Later, I heard that couple bragging to others how they got such a great price for it. Um, I won't do that again! They were focused on price vs. the ptg. as a result of my trying to help their finances.

That all said, there are others who will prob. give even better advice, but this is a start. Your chicks were adorable, so I hope you don't part with them cheaply.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Page 5 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS