challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,473
Points 23,580
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 11:54 AM

I should have quoted my drawing prof.  He said your darkest dark should be black and your lightest white.  You have a 7 value range in between use them.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 12:01 PM
JEN - Fin. Howard - super!! Don't listen to Howard - hang it up where all can see and adore. We prob. all see ourselves as diff. vs. what others observe. I look in the mirror and for the life of me, can't figure out why that flabby old lady keeps staring back - defective mirrors, I tell ya.

KRISTINA - Hope the training goes smoothly/quickly for Deacon. Sounds like a lot on your plate. Looking fwd. to getting know you and seeing your art soon.

SAM - Hope your back has had some relief and you're back in action.

CATHERINE - Your pot is excellent. Nicely rounded, blended, etc.. When I view this, I see the pot first...the gourds just blending in or flatish other than your skillful contours. You've already gotten advice and you have a plan in the ready, so I'm sure it will pop out once you tweak it. NIce so far and looking fwd. to seeing it after any adjustments.

I'm still busy tweaking away on a ptg. from Geri's photo of Nate with the goat - it may not end up looking like him, but it's fun. Still wanted to get to another one too (the ladies) in that chall. before the next batch for Feb. - or maybe I am procrastinating since it's so challenging this month.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 12:03 PM

I understand what you're saying now Geri. I think when I get home I will adjust some of the values in both the pot/vase and also the gourds. I'm thinking just for the experience I will go in and also use a graphite pencil to add a background to it. It wasn't supposed to be much more than a little sketch but it's turning out to be a good drawing lesson for me. Thank you so much for your advice.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 12:06 PM

Thank you Kim. I started to add some blemishes to the gourds using the Conte pencil as they seemed so much the same. I'll mess with it a little in the next day or two and see what happens.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 3:03 PM

Hi all, Still practicing with pastels and the more I do the more I like them these are both 5x7 on vellum

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 3:16 PM
FRED - Glad to see you are enjoying pastels. I esp. like the top one because it shows you are experimenting with color and overlapping color. Hard to tell if you have created your own green for part of it (blue over yell.), or added the blue to enhance the stock green pastel, but it's much more interesting when you do this.  The left brown cabin shows some yellow coming through, so it's not just the brown, making it richer and warmer.
Have fun.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,715
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 8:47 PM

Fred, you are really getting the hang of blending pastel pencils. If you really like them you might want to invest in a few sticks. or at least a bigger set of pastel pencils.

I love the colurful top one and you certainly do trees well. Glad to see a bear wondering in the forest!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,715
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 8:51 PM

Catherine good job on the pot and the gourds. you could always add some shadows on the bottom of the gourds so they did not look so flat. Just round them off so they continue under. not sure how to explain exactly. this is a really nice drawing so feel free to ignore me!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,473
Points 23,580
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 9:32 PM

Fred the top painting is really bright.  Thats why I like it.  The bear though looks like he is a little late to bed.  It is going to be spring real soon so he better hurry. 

Fred I am not a pastel expert by any means but I think vellum to be a little slick for pastels.  Have you tried anything with more tooth.  I bet you would get richer color.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 10:01 PM

Really like these Fred. Love the character of the cute bear. You are really developing your own style, I like that. I would love to do a story like this for my grandchild. Great imagination!

NZJen

Comments and critiques welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,715
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 11:17 PM

Well just to cheer me up after todays disaster I did this Sketch from this weeks WC WDE. I really like the gesture of it. Of course there were a couple of elipses but just look passed them!

In my sketch book 2b pencil

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 3:52 AM

Fred both of these are wonderful! I really like the layering you've done in the top one and the feeling of height in the second one. Great little paintings!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 3:54 AM

Jen this is a super nice drawing!  I also love the gestures and see nothing wrong with your elipses on the bike. The light and shade is just great here.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 8:09 AM

Hello everybody!!!

I want you to know what I've been working on this days, I had no time to come here and watch everything you've done but now I'll be here again. I saw everything you did on December, and I love it!!! Yes

This is a little drawing in my little sketchbook, color pencils, and pastels for the wall.

And this is something special:

The little boy is a friend of mine's brother, he passed away a few months ago so she asked me this portrait of him with Jesus. I don't like the way the foot looks, but my friend cried when she saw it. So I think I made it fine.

(2B pencil, Canson paper, A4 size).

AND I have a "Last Supper" that took me 3 weeks to finish. I have a decent picture but it's on my husbandś cellphone. I'll post it this afternoon Left HugRight Hug

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 8 Feb 2013 9:17 AM

Fred, you are really making good use of those pastels.  I'm so glad that you are enjoying them and feeling more comfortable.  Your first painting knocked my socks off with color.  I wonder if those mountain people can holler across the canyon to each other.  There'd be lots of echos.

I like the bear wandering around alone in the forest and I like the tracks he's leaving behind. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 27 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  25 26 27 28 29  Next >  ... Last » | RSS