challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 28 Jan 2013 7:04 PM

Jen, you got an excellent portrait going here.  I think it looks like the photo.  The eyes look really good and I like the glasses.  The nose should be a little broader around the nostrils.  You did a good job with his hair.  I think the light areas where his jaw seems to sag on the left (our left) could be darkened so that the viewer's eye isn't drawn there.  The background works well.  He does have the expression of a rascal.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Jan 2013 7:53 PM
Thanks Sammy, I think I have a ways to go but hopefully I will get there!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 28 Jan 2013 8:11 PM

JEN:   WOW!!!  what a great start on  your rascally Howard.   I see something as well.   watch the right side of his mouth...  that is the other part of the twinkle in his eye...  that sort of smile look...  as sam said,  look at the left jaw first on the photo then on the painting photo,  go back and forth with your eyes,  you can see around the collar and the jaw what Sam is talking about.    Can't wait to see it finished... 

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 200
Points 3,665
on 29 Jan 2013 8:08 AM

Catherine - The orchid is coming along great.  The comments made are spot on.  I don't have anything to add, other than looking forward to seeing more.

Jen - Howard is excellent.  Very nice portrait.  I would definitely keep the glasses.  I would revisit his ear - looks it could be softened a bit - not draw the attention away from the eyes.  Which, by the way you have done very well.  A lot of character in the whole piece. 

Thanks everyone for the comments on The Guardian Angel.  I don't have to go to school today and sub, so will have time to see what comes out of this piece.  Will probably start crying at one time or another while working on it - part of that emotional connection I guess.  (And, Kim, sadly to say Sky Watcher was not selected for the Norman, Oklahoma weather show.  Oh well - we'll see what comes about for the next one.)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 9:05 AM

Thank you Sheila. I finished it this morning and will post it here a little later on today.  It's ok but not quite like I had wanted it to look like. I will point out what I think is wrong with it when I post the actual painting.  It was a learning experience and one more step towards a better next painting.  I wish I could win the lottery so I can do nothing but paint whenever I want as trying to work full time and take care of a house leaves only so much time for art. It can be frustrating. 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 10:33 AM

Jen You managed to capture his expression well it only needs a little tweek I don't think there is much if any distortion

Orchids and others

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 10:53 AM

Jim this is great! The cat's color perfect and I love the movement of the cat looking over to the fairy.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 11:50 AM

Wow Jim nice cat.  Looks pretty real.  I hope He doesn't have his eye on that fairy for lunch.  You might add a little more shadow to the little tea pot to give it a more round look it is a little flat.  Your orchid is looking good keep it bud your getting better.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 12:25 PM

Here is what I like about this watercolor: The color of the leaves and their shading, pot color and suggestiveness, unopened bloom/pods, stems, bloom in the background. I don't like the orchid all that much as the color of the red/purple is off and I still don't like the angle of it. I don't like any of the background shadows at all and next time will set the light at different direction. I think the size of the objects are too big for area I put them in  9x12.  inches.  I wasn't going to finish it because I was so unhappy with it but this morning at 4:30 I decided I was going to get some sort of learning experinece out of it and went ahead and dug in and did as much as I could. The photo here is a little light but the second photo is too dark so I went with the lighter one. I have two orchids, one pink and this one. I've done watercolors of them both after they have bloomed. The top appears to be cut off but it was a scan error as the top of the painting is within it's boundries.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 1:15 PM

Jen - Your Howard looks like he's off to a super start. Am sure you'll finish this off just right. Love the style and colors used.

Jim - Fairy, flowers, and cat are excellent! Nice comp. too. The ball is flat - could use a bit of shading despite being a 2 color item. Watch curve on bott. of pot, but as was mentioned, if the pot was shaded more, this would help. Great job in this complicated scenario. Oh, I love the background too.

Catherine - Though your seamed corner draws my eye to the flowers, it didn't need this. A bold loose and darker background (like the dk. in orchid, with variety in tone at least), would make a more interesting BG for this beauty, as well as needed contrast.  You could play with darks in Photoshop 1st to get a rough idea. I realize the photo doesn't do it justice, as you mentioned, so you may not feel like it needs it - your call, but if you're unhappy with it now, you could consider it. Flowers turned out great - no one will be comparing actual color to your ptg. and it looks very believable. The angle is fine - really.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 1:27 PM

Kim.. I entertained the idea of just going crazy and painting a bold background as I agree totally with you that it would have highlighted the orchid more.  I may go home and just do that as it is a learning painting now. I don't have a Photoshop so I'm going to just go for it and live with the results. Both of my orchids are blooming now and this morning I thought it would be pretty to do a watercolor of both of them together.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 2:15 PM

Catherine the WC is great the only thing and it isn't important I don't like the box as a BG a table top and wall? the orchids are gorgious

I redid the bottom of the pot I had it to round first flattened it and posted and saw after Geri and Kim commented and redid the ball actually is partially flattened it's Francis's yarn tree ornament she plays with constantly

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 2:25 PM

I agree Jim. Using the still life box without anything draped over the back or under the pot left a sort of sterile looking background. I think your teapot looks good now. I have trouble with round objects too. You're orchid is also beautiful.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 3:28 PM

Jim - The new bottom of the pot is MUCH better! Good one.

Catherine - I'm eager to see your re-done BG! I could photoshop a dk. in the back to give you a rough idea, but I believe it's best for the artist to have that in his/her own imagination to play out. You'll do fine.

FYI - A webpg. that I think is very helpful when it comes to elipses at/above/below eye level is: wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Drawing/BasicDrawing.old/Lesson4/index.html (add www. at beginning) Near the beginning (left and bit above of heading: "Rendering Cylindrical Objects"), is a sketch which shows what I call smiles or frowns - the further away from flat eye level, the bigger the smile or frown.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 5:44 PM

Thanks Marsha , yes going to fix his mouth and Sheila thanks too will look at his ear. they are my worst things!

Jim Thanks too. I really like this fairy painting. the orchid turned out nicely and the pot is much improved. Have to wonder at the cat's intentions as the fairy seems to be hiding from him!

Catherine I think you are too hard on yourself as the orchid looks great! Maybe a more colourful bg but that is up to you. WC in my opinion is very unforgiving and like a foriegn language to me!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 21 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  19 20 21 22 23  Next >  ... Last » | RSS