challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,266 Replies | 25 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 14 Jan 2013 7:15 PM

Kim, it was brave of you to try. I feel bad about encouraging you to change something that was so lovely and that you clearly cherished. Catherine is right - it is how you feel about it that counts. 

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 327
Points 5,695
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 7:23 PM

I really believe art is more about the process than the product, so I was GLAD to get encouragement to push the ptg. a step further. It's good to try. It may have turned out that I'd like it much better, but I don't think it matters as much about the outcome (50/50 chance I'd pref. the chg.), as it does that I learn from it. I can only learn by going for it. I did learn during the process so  I'm a happy camper w/o regrets.  (If I do chg. it again, it will be about the process, still pushing, not because I am trying to get a piece to look a certain way or feel pressure to have a fin. piece that meets a criteria.)

Big Smile

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 14 Jan 2013 7:34 PM

Fred, nice graphite drawing with interesting houses.  The Irish fairies (leprechauns) are celebrating with beer and the Irish jigs.  More people are arriving at the party so it will probably get lively.  Nice drawing.  I agree about more values on the closest building but, what the heck, it's a fairy tale.

Kim, I thought I was going crazy since everybody else could see the paintings but I couldn't.  Then I read that you pulled them and plan to post them again tomorrow.  Please don't change paintings that you like because somebody made a suggestion.  You must be true to yourself and your own vision.  Like you, when I work with watercolor, I always mess it up when trying to correct things.  I'm looking forward to seeing your paintings tomorrow. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 8:14 PM

Kim nothing says you can't paint another lily painting or another or another or a hundred of them :)  I have a whole pile of "dang it, why did I do that"? paintings.

I'm going to try painting that photo too. No promises but I don't care as the colors are so beautifull I'll enjoy just mixing the colors if nothing else.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 8:28 PM

Kim I still have the pictures up on my E-mail.  I personally like the second better.  The purples seem to stand out more.  Of course this is my opinion and if all opinions were the same we would have a cookie cutter life with no change.  I hope my suggestion did not make you ruin your picture for you.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 327
Points 5,695
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 8:34 PM

Fred - Sam's right.

Catherine - it is an inspiring photo and I can't wait to see other interps..

Geri - No, I am happy to try a chg. and it's no biggie, really.  Besides, I don't feel it was ruined at all. It may be improved...will post after re-photo. it.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 15 Jan 2013 9:18 AM

shadows can sometimes be depressing in fairy tales leprichans and vampires do not appear i n a mirror and I personally never looked to see if there was a shadow next to any pub I entered but I'm proboly wrong this time anyway nice sketch Fred

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 15 Jan 2013 10:06 AM

Fred, oops, I made a boo boo.  I meant to say a shadow on the closest building but I typed tree.  My mind must have been off somewhere.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 327
Points 5,695
Kim513 wrote
on 15 Jan 2013 4:42 PM

1st, 2nd, and 3rd renditions, in order. Same 5 x 7 watercolor (w/c pencil) ptg. as before, but re-worked. Re-sized these so it's easier to see all of them.

Though I didn't manage to pull off what I wanted or what was needed (IMO) in the 2nd attempt, I was lots happier with the 3rd attempt. THANKS for your encouragement to keep trying.

Now I think the last one makes the others look a bit washed out.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 15 Jan 2013 4:51 PM

Kim, just lovely!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 15 Jan 2013 6:53 PM

Just beautiful Kim!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 15 Jan 2013 7:08 PM

Kim, well done.  I'm sure that you learned a lot by doing it three times.  The colors on the lily pads in your final painting are wonderful.  This is a beautiful little painting.  Hopefully, you will frame it and hang it. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 15 Jan 2013 8:04 PM

You may be interested in this unique display at a flower show in London in 2003.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 6:10 AM

Sam what a clever way to get artists to eat their vegetables!

I finally finished the birdhouse watercolor. There is a lot I'm not happy with, a lot I like about it and a lot of new skills with this one. I suppose I could do more to it but am not. I will have it scanned and then get it posted on the Challenge thread.  Now on to the photo Kim posted of the lilies! I've been frothing at the bit to get the birdhouse painting done so I can experiment with that beautiful photo and all those colors!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 327
Points 5,695
Kim513 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 6:22 AM

Alex, Sam, and Catherine - Thanks so much for taking the time to view my trio of efforts. I appreciate your comments. Sam, not quite sure what to do with it. I'm pleased with it, but not enough to give away as a gift, so it'll prob. end up in a pile. I did learn from the exper..

Sam - Love that photo!

Catherine - Am eager to see your birdhouses. I know what you mean about finishing one before feeling like you can tackle the next. I bet it won't take you 3 times to get a final lily ptg.!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Page 10 of 218 (3267 items) « First ...  < Previous  8 9 10 11 12  Next >  ... Last » | RSS