2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 537 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 6:39 PM

Good job, the chick colors are natural, look so soft and fussy.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 7:15 PM

CATHERINE, Brush only - I get it now! Thanks for clarifying.

Hope I didn't mislead - meant newbie to forum, not to ptg., but your descrip. was very good & helpful since I can be a bit slow at catching on sometimes (or more than sometimesConfused ). I usually use at least some guidelines in pencil, but I happened to want to do a current ptg. with only  a brush as you described. Coincidence. Though that was my goal, due to time constraints, I had to take with me to waiting rooms for most of the day and that meant not taking my full palette/supplies. Settled for w/c pencils, but it didn't go so well...will show at some other pt., tho it's not a chall. ptg.. I still want to do just the brush tho - a huge chall. for me. Just using a brush on your chicks makes this even more impressive!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 11:20 PM

Jean:  I love your little bird house painting you are doing fantastic... keep up the good work

my husband used to make bird houses and I have them all over the back yard tucked here and there.

Cath: your birds are adorable you gave me an idea I will post it next.

Geri: 
I think you got the point with your chicks...  I have a huge piece on my wall of a Grey whale and her young one all done in black and white pointillism and signed by the artist "Peter". 

Jen:  what a very nice pencil drawing of the two kids....you managed a difficult photo.

Fred:   your story painting of the good Samaritan is really nice as are all of your paintings.   I love my neighbors, but they have been burning wood in their fireplace for the last week and all the smoke is coming into my house..  I can hardly breath,  we put a fan at the back door to try and keep the smoke down....   its just the way the air is bringing it into our patio and down our fire place....   I think I will give them my gas fire-logs as I don't use them anymore .... 

Bonnie:   your musket is great especially the stock and the wheat grasses are the perfect touch There is probably a peg or large nail on the other side of the crossed wood just for hanging the powder horn or a satchel.  

James:  Your portrait really captured her,   Your style of painting is your very own and very nice. 

Thank you all for the compliments with my soft pastel portrait.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 11:27 PM

Here are my chicks...  with a twist.  Watercolor   with a  bit of ink  - 8 x 8 on the diagonal --"Fluid" watercolor paper (which I don't like for water)  I did a OP last night on it and it wasn't too bad, but then I don't know what is supposed to be good yet for OP  I will post on chatter thread.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 7 Jan 2013 11:35 PM

Marsha, you are TOO much! Charming, delightful, and funny! BTW, it is not nice to make people laugh with a mouthful of juice!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 6:02 AM

Jean thank you! To have given the impression of soft and fussy at the same time is a huge compliment! Fussy is a hard emotion to create on paper.

Kim...I understand time constraint as I work 40 hrs.per week and hate to be rushed when I'm wanting to sit down and do my art. Sometimes though only having enough time available to make a quick "get it out of your system" type of paintng turns out great as you're not really thinking about it, just putting your emotions down on paper and in color too.

Marsha...LOL you are such a hoot or should I say peep. Very cute painting!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 7:22 AM

Marsh, thank your for your comments, I kept thinking there needed to be a turkey in the picture and may look at that possibility later, so many ideas and not nearly enough time, who invented work.  Love your chicks, especially that you defined their little wings and adding the bus stop theme. I may look at the nursery gift theme some one mentioned for I've been thinking about what to get a new baby. Nice chuckle to start the day.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 8 Jan 2013 7:25 AM

Marsha, you did an excellent job on those peeps.  I like the touches of ink to give definition.  You've used a good range of values and good colors.  They are as cute as could be.  They must be on their way to school - waiting for the school bus.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 9:10 AM

Catherine - sage advice about just going for it...I tend to overwork my ptgs..

Marsha - TOO CUTE! Love the colors here, and the bits of ink are placed just right. The comp. - wondered if a 3rd sign overlapping behind is something to consider. Right now it seems a bit pat to have on the ends.  What will become of these chicks?...it would be a wonderful fundraiser auction item for a school cause...just a thought.

Marsha - I peeked at your OP in the Chatter - outstanding colors! What talent!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 10:29 AM

Marsha, This is soooo cute ,I love it

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 11:02 AM

Marsha what can I say that hasn't;t been said by the othersYesYes  Just one question why did you  decide to do them on point???  Very nice WC.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 11:08 AM

Jen - Great job, love it.

Jean M.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 11:25 AM

Jean you have done a great job shading your painting gives it the finishing touch

Marsha now we know they cross the road in flocks kudos its a very good painting too

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 11:35 AM

ALEX - Thank you. I may sit down one more time to add more color and contrastSmile

Jean M.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 11:58 AM

Catherine -Thank you for the encouragement. Noooo, I did notice the spider web. Found it now I'm thinking how to create it Huh?.

Jean M.

• | Post Points: 20
Page 11 of 36 (538 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS