2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 537 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,523
Points 24,445
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 5:10 PM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - January 2013 Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date: January 1, 2013 - January 31, 2013.

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note: When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post. We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what. An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts. (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Sam know and she will send instructions to you.)

January Photos

Sam had the idea to have the theme for this month to be "OUT WITH THE OLA AND IN WITH THE NEW.

The back of an old house in Madison, In

Birch bark canoes at The Feast of the Hunters Moon

One of my flintlock rifles

Meyers cabin at Musutatuck wildlife refuge

An old woman (public domain picture)

Baby feet (public domain picture)  This is for the hand drawers.  Something a little different.

Some chicks a couple of days old. (public domain picture)

My grandson Nate with one of his 3 day old kid goat.

.Blue jay taken this A.M. on our new snow

Two women mending clothes at a primitive encampment at Louisville, Ky

Thats it for this month.  I hope you find something that inspires you.  PAINT UP  !!!

Notice  (All pictures were taken by myself unless noted)

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 500
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 11:25 AM

YAY - it's here!

What neat photos, Geri!  I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite - I love them all. 

Thanks so much for hosting our first Challenge of the new year.,

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Jan 2013 11:27 AM

Geri, very nice and interesting reference photos.  This should be an exciting month.  I do have one question.  Since the theme for this month is the old and the new are we able to submit work of something old or something new that is our own and not from one of the reference photos? 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 2 Jan 2013 11:38 AM

Woohoo! It's here! Have been checking for it all morning!

Love the theme and photos! Also, Geri, I feel as though I know you a little better after seeing your photos. Can't wait to get started!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 1:01 PM
Geri, great selection of pictures. I have one more of Marsha's I have been wanting to do then I will start on yours. I had a rough night last night and have had a cold so hopefully I will be back on track soon.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,523
Points 24,445
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 2:38 PM

Sam and everybody else feel free to do anything your hart desires if it fits the theme.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,523
Points 24,445
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 2:41 PM

Jen you are only supposed to have rough mornings on new years day.

Turps245:
I had a rough night last night
Wink

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 3:16 PM
Geri, I do everything backwards! Even my doctor says he needs to treat my feet to fix my head! Of course he is Irish and I'm English so what does he know!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 3:56 PM

I love that your photos inc. personal ones too - gives more meaning behind them. They're all challenging in their way and I look fwd. to taking a stab at these. Thanks for your work to get these posted, Geri.

Jen, hope you rest up first and have plenty of energy then to paint.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 5:04 PM

Great photo's Geri, can hardly wait to pick one, and which one there is such a lot of good choices.

Jen, not feeling well myself and can relate to your being under the weather. Hope we both feel better soom and can get back into the swing of things.

Alex, thanks for the information on the w/c pencils. I'll try some of those techniques.  I have some pencils but have never applied them in all the different methods you mentioned. I think you have a real talent at getting such greaqt colour in your art work. Maybe I should note that Alex's information is found in the December Challenge.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 6:02 PM

Great pictures Geri! I think I'll watch Ken Burns's Civil War Documentary again before I decide which one to paint.

Sorry you're feeling bad Jen. I hope you feel better soon.

Hello to all the new people here! There are so many  of you that I'm going to have to say hi to each one as you post pictures as there is too much to catch up with now.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 6:13 PM

Great photos Old and New...  should be a great challenge....  

Jen tee hee,,, I'm IRISH, and I love a great foot rub to get rid of a headache.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 6:37 PM
Hmmm Marsha now that is an idea I could go with! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 2 Jan 2013 7:32 PM

Hi Geri, a quick sketch of your blue jay in a juniper tree .... It's done with Cretacolor WC pencils and Holbein gouache on Acquarello 140# hot-pressed paper, and is about 2" x 2". I’d like to revisit this in a larger size showing the whole bird in his beautiful raiment and with fewer colors — nature is the best artist of all. 

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 8:14 PM

— nature is the best artist of all. I’ve inserted one image at approximately actual size and a second at a larger size — Marsha, I saw your note about making  insertions a little larger when the drawings are tiny so that people can see them more easily. (Rats! I was hoping to hide lack of technique behind miniscule pix! )

ALEX:   I bet you hit edit and revised your post.... did you????   do I win the bet????

I have done that in the past and it shows up one way in the email and another way in the actual post.   Above is part of what I received in my email.     My dear your technique is so wonderful you definitely don't need to hide it....   big is even great.    Your little Jay is certainly a keeper.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Page 1 of 36 (538 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS