Painting with gobs of paint rising out of the canvas

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95
DrawingU wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 3:36 PM

I'm just learning oil painting and all my works are pretty flat -- I paint mostly thin coats of color. But I've seen oil paintings with gobs of paint rising out of the painting. Sometimes rising more than 1cm.

Is there a description for this type of painting, and is this what all oil painters aim for? Are all famous paintings like this?

With thin coats I can smoothly blend two adjacent colors so they transition smoothly from one color to another. I don't think this can be done with the "3D" technique.

  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 244
Points 4,220
Jay Babina wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 10:06 AM

It's called impasto painting.

Like this:

The reason artist do it is because they like it.


  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
JimLyle wrote
on 13 Dec 2012 9:17 AM

Hello DrawingU,

Thanks for taking time to discuss on this topic and I agree with Jay Babina Its called impasto paintings.


  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS