ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 12:47 PM

Fred:  Very nice painting,   I wish we had water here....  only in Lake Mead and its lower elevation than the Bristle Cone Pines.   They grow where it is desolate....  poor things...  Although the Joshua Trees are in a lower elevation and include the burros and wild horses..  which are amazing to see.   

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 12:53 PM

James:  no problem with the card.   we love you anyway...

Everyone:  I sent my card out today,   open carefully......

Joyce:  I received your card,  thank you ever so much

Tonight is the start of Hanukkah to those that celebrate,    Happy Hanukkah.....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 1:11 PM

just for kicks I want to show you a couple of pictures.....     I have seen this herd so many times   I have a lot of video of them....this is in the Joshua trees.

and I had to throw in this one just for Fred....  This is Red Rock Canyon just 17 miles from me...  sorry maybe I shouldn't post this...  but.....  can't hep it....

FRED:   you brought back memories...

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 2:07 PM

Jordan- Nice landscape and I think your painting is cool enough since the sky is cool and so are the mountains in the background. Your Pine tree has warm branches and some cool leaves. The snow consists of blue shadows peppered with green and yellow ochre. Colorwise, it has pretty cool palette with bits and pieces of warm to contrast it. I think this is a nice painting.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 2:14 PM

Fred- Way to go, another nice serious painting. You balance the warm and cool colors nicely. The sky also carried both cool and warm. Love the snow as usual.

Wait a minute I just notices the three red birds and they are Cardinals! How clever of you. This is another one that should be framed.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 2:28 PM

Catherine- I think you are drinking more than whiskey, Oh, I am kidding too. I am not selling anything of mine under $5.00. Maybe that was someone else, not me. My little piece of Miniatures sold for  three digit dollars and the figure in the front is not number 1. This year my price is double higher b/c it's my second year of Exhibition and I feel I have more experience with the traditional painting of miniatures. That is o.k for a mix-up, it can happen. I just thought I should straighten it out.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 2:33 PM

Marsha- Nice photos of Joshua trees and Horses and Donkies. I love horses but never try painting donkies. I have been to Joshua tree National Park and was in awe of it. I still have my photos with the trees somewhere.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 8 Dec 2012 6:54 PM

Fred, another serious painting.  I like the Bristle trees and the stream in the background.  The cardinals seem to be enjoying a lovely, snowy day.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 8 Dec 2012 6:57 PM

Marsha, real nice photos of the wild horses and mules.  How wonderful to see those in the wild.  The Red Rock Canyon is perfect for Fred.  Such stately rock formations.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 8 Dec 2012 7:40 PM

Jordan, I knew there is a wonderful thread somewhere that deals with painting trees.  I just haven't had the time to look for it until now.  It's in the Oil Pastel forum on Wet Canvas but it applies to all art media.  This is about technique.

I'm going to spell out the link since Artist Daily won't let this go through if I type in the link.  Go to www(dot)wetcanvas(dot)com.  At the top of the page you'll find "Channels."  Scroll down to Oil Pastel and click on it then click on Go.  In the column on the left click on Oil Pastel Library.  Then click on Oil Pastel Techniques.  In that forum click on Painting Foreground Trees (long, many images).  I think this thread will help anyone in any medium with painting trees.  Enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 8:19 PM
Fred. another beautiful snow painting. love those bristle trees and the cardinals bring a nice splash of colour.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 8:30 PM

James don't feel bad about the card exchange. We still love you and wish you a very Happy Chrismas and healthy New Year. These things are for mutual fun and no way an obligation nor should it be.

Marsha, Great photos of the red cliffs and four legged friends. How nice to be able to see all of them up close and personal. thanks for sharing. you have probably inspired Fred again!

There are some really good references on soft pastel on Pastel Talk om WEt Canvas. How to get started in pastels is a huge post with a ton of info it will take several readings. Lots of people there to answer questions and very helpful.

Well without the benifit of alcohol I worked some more on the hands. I think the problem is they are too small and I can't or don't have the skill to do the detail on such small fingures. I have probably done as much as I can on this drawing. I may have a go at the single hand and see if that goes better or worse then I will have a stiff drink!

10x8 in my sketchbook with pencil.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 8 Dec 2012 11:17 PM

Jen, good sketch of the kneading hands.  The hand closest to us is looking terrific. One can see that she  is pressing down on the dough.  I think that you got the thumb too long on the other hand.  Nonetheless, you did a bang up job on this very difficult subject.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 1:15 AM

Jen:   Yea you are sticking to it....   much better.   now put the two side by side and see what you see.   eyeball all the elements against each other...measure each joint and diget,  wrist apron and see where each element lies in conjunction with each other....      I'm glad you didn't give up....   Now that you know the piece  its a go,   If it were me I would now start over and try one more time with what you learned from this one.   I have done that many times...   I'm sooooo glad you didn't quit.....  I agree with Sam you are doing a bang up job....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 53
Points 780
suzgriffon wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 7:23 AM

Hahaha! I love that picture of the donkies! One of them looks like he's singing.

Page 9 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS