ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:35 PM
Catherine, good job on the snowy bridge. You really captured the cold still day. SANDI this is going to be a wonderful piece but I agree about overlapping and maybe bringing the top plate down a bit as it seems to be floating. You probably have finished it by now. MARSHA wow you got everything and it works so well too! Well done!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:40 PM
FRED, wonderful painting of the cardinal. It is always good to get out of your comfort zone. ALEX I love these little paintings you have been doing. The wheasle is cuddly soft and the colours work so well and the cardinal is vibrant in his snowy land. Lovely!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:45 PM
Kim welcome, I am glad you jumped in to post these final two paintings. I don't think the there is anything spooky here. The eggs etc look like someone has just stepped away for one more ingredient and the cookies look as colourful and tumbled as the ones my grandkids made this year. Really good job!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 4:05 PM

Hey Alex great job on the cardinal painting I like the watercolor pencil work

Welcome Kim the cookies look great to me the dark BG lets the light show brighter I think the bread looks pretty good too

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 1 Jan 2013 4:06 PM

Hi Marsha,

Here is my December “snowy owl.” It is 3-1/2” x 2-1/2” on Acquarello 140# hot-pressed paper, executed in Cretacolor watercolor pencils.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 4:39 PM

Alex, your snowy owl is so soft, wow- I feel that I could pick him up and feel those feathers. You certainly have command over the w/c pencils. Did you do most of it with wet paper to achieve this softness?Your choice of colors work well together here too.

Alex, is it my imag., or did you change your avatar? DId you do the drwg? nice one! (It could be a famous drwg. that I just am unaware of.)

Agree with Jen that Marsha's new avatar is very festive and well done too.

Geri and Jim, thanks for your kind comments and welcome.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 4:41 PM

Alex, great use of colour in both the cardinal and the snowy owl, isn't he cute. The owl's eyes are perfect, they are yellow but so hooded by his thick feathers that they are shaded.  Do you like the Cretacolor pencils, you seem to get nice colour from them?

Kim, I'm glad to see someone take on the bread and the cookies, they look good enough to eat, nice job. Looking forward to seeing more of your work .

Happy New Year everyone, hope it is full of artistic endeavours.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 4:53 PM

Jen and Bonnie, thanks for your welcome and encouraging comments as well.

I'll let you in on a secret...I was eating my share of cookies as I painted the watercolor - you know, to get into the spirit of it! Wink

Alex, I know I mentioned your cardinal's background, but I keep going back to it. It's very unique and just perfect for it, IMO.

A cardinal (male) landed on our screen patio door about a month ago - THAT was a suprise; looked like it was hanging in the mid. of the glass since the screen was not too noticeable from a few ft. away. Of course, no camera handy before it flew the coop.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 4:54 PM
Alex you are really rocking!! The owl has such personality and sits nicely in his environment. Well done.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 1 Jan 2013 5:16 PM

Hi Kim, Bonnie, and Jen, thank you for your comments! I do like Cretacolor watercolor pencils very much. They are Cretacolor Aqua Monolith Woodless Watercolor Pencils. Bear in mind, though, that I'm a novice, so I haven't done any comparisons and I am still learning to use them. There are several ways I use them to put color down: (1) scribble a blob of color on scrap paper and run a wet brush over the scribble, then paint with the brush; (2) wet an area of the drawing and use the pencil on it; (3) cover part of the drawing with dry pencil, then paint over it with a damp brush; (4) dip the point of the pencil in water, then draw with it; (5) draw with dry pencil and leave it dry, etc. All give different effects. Again, though, still learning.

The new avatar is a pencil sketch I did in a museum art class of a marble bust. I posted it to remind myself that just pencil is also beautiful and has that "limited palette" allure (though I confess to being a color junkie).

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 5:26 PM

Wow!  I say my goodbyes and more company shows up....  

ALEX again a beautiful piece with the  cardinal you even captured that it was a snowy day.  I love the blend of colors in his feathers, this is a very very darling Piece.   you make me want to get my WC pencils out again....  your new avatar is special....

KIM  welcome you have been busy with the challenges.  I am most please with your choices.  I hoped when I posted them that someone would tackle them.   They are excellent.  I have two suggestions ,    One:   Frame the cookies in white and watch them pop.   I would change a thing I love them.   Two:  When you sign in use the Quick Reply.   You can set up a signature in your personal page and ask for critiques and comments, ( C&C welcome),   When you post your Jpg's  there are two places to do it,  use both to browse to your pictures and post. please use a little larger format than you did so they are bigger on the page.   That is the only two comments from me...  I can see both of these framed and hanging in a cute country kitchen or dining room....  You choices of colors are wonderful on both, your ellipises, shading and placement of the eggs and ingredients are perfect.    Again Welcome.    Where do you live?   Glad you were peeking....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 5:31 PM

ALEX  I love the little Owl.   he looks fluffy and warm under his feathers and stands out well from the snow and great background.   Again you have done a super job and you are really tempting me to get out the WC pencils again....      kuddos gal....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 1 Jan 2013 8:21 PM

Alex, my you have been busy creating beautiful little miniatures.  The owl is perfect and I love that you used blue on him.  The snow and twigs look good too.  Oh, am I glad that you came back to us.  You have talent, girl!

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 10:45 AM

Alex, thanks for that great descrip. of using the w/c pencils. I have used them (tho diff. brand), but I don't recall if I've used for an entire work - don't think so. Your descrip. was great, telling how they are not limiting; I'll keep in mind when I use them next. One thing I remember noticing is that they had a diff. sheen to them when I used the w/c pencils combined with regular w/c paints. Have you used both together and did you notice this? Could be my brand, if not.  GREAT drwg. for your avatar...you did on site then? Impressive.

Marsha, I didn't think of a white surround (doubt this will be framed, but a mat would be quick/cheap), so I apprec. that sug.. It may help take the spooky feeling away. Maybe. Still trying to test things here, like the diff. between quick reply vs. reg. (but I see Quick lets me see behind it, so that's nice).  I have chgd. my sig. and will make my pics bigger next time.  I apprec. the help!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Jan 2013 10:56 AM

Kin, I forgot to mention how much I like your avatar.  How clever to save your grade school artwork.  Now we know what you look and you are darling.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 24 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  21 22 23 24 25  Next > | RSS