ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 31 Dec 2012 10:09 PM

Sam, Bonnie, Geri, Jim, and Marsha,

Wow! Thank you for your comments! You made my day! Just trying things I would ordinarily never have drawn has been such a great experience, and your remarks made it even more rewarding. The cardinal and snowy owl will be coming tomorrow.

Warmest wishes to all for a happy new year!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 7:00 AM

I want to thank all the folks that visited the December Challenge and far surpassed my expectations..  you all are wonderful and I'm glad you liked the photos that were posted.  I look forward to doing it again....  cherrio....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 1 Jan 2013 9:48 AM

Hi Marsha,

Here is my December “cardinal.” It is 3-1/2” x 2-1/2” on Acquarello 140# hot-pressed paper, executed in Cretacolor watercolor pencils and touches of Holbein gouache.

Alex

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 9:48 AM

(Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot...hitting reply for submitting how it's supposed to be done to inc. one's own ptg.? trying to figure out things as a newbie here. Tech. challenged this end.)

ALL the Dec. Chall. ptgs. here have been awesome!   Loved the variety of ref. photos. Here's what I did, though late.

Wish I had left the background of the cookies white - too late now with it so dark. These were both 2 1/2 x 3 1/2".

Kim T

(Kim513)

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 9:58 AM

Alex, your cardinal is lovely! I like how the snow and background are done too - great atmosphere.

I would have commented on others' works indiv. but I see there are MANY pages of postings, so I hope a genrl. comment about earlier ones will suffice at this late point of jumping in. I did view earlier ones and was impressed, but I did so as I peeked from time to time, and had not joined yet. Now I hope to get on board with the 2013 Jan. Chall. and look fwd. to getting to know the artists here.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 1 Jan 2013 10:03 AM

Hi Kim, welcome to our group! I'm so glad you painted the cookies. I do agree that a light background would look beautiful but think the cookies themselves are lovely. In addition, a wonderful drawing of the bread-making ingredients with their ellipses, overlaps, and shadows! Again, welcome!

Alex

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 10:16 AM

Thanks, Alex

Yep, I think my cookie ptg. actually looks a bit spooky with the darkness - not my intention! Live/learn (hopefully!) I do apprec. your comments. Now time to peek in at the upcoming Jan. Chall. and look fwd. to seeing your ptg. and others' ptgs. too - all very inspiring!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 10:22 AM

Kim - welcome to our group here - - and you cookies DO NOT look spooky - I'm ready to steal one!  I really like the darker background,  it sets of the colors of the cookies.  Your eggs, bread and rolling pin are fantastic!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 1 Jan 2013 12:08 PM

Alex, what a nice cropping of the cardinal and nice colors.  I like the touches of orange and purple on him.  The background is subtle and beautiful.  What fun that you made it a snowy day.  Lovely little painting.

Kim, welcome to our little group.  You tackled two difficult paintings and did a good job on both.  I particularly like the cookies.  Great job on the peppermint kisses and sprinkles.  I think a white background would pop out and compete with the white on the kisses.  It's very pretty the way it is and does not look spooky at all.  Save the spooky for Halloween.

You used shadows well in the still life.  The eggs look oval due to the placement of shadow and highlights.  I like the reflection of the bread is the silver cup.  Looking forward to seeing more of your fine work.  Please identify the medium used and size of these paintings.

PS.  Is your avatar a self-portrait? Big Smile

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 1 Jan 2013 12:15 PM

Hi Kim, although I originally agreed with your thoughts on the background in the cookie painting, I defer to Holly and Sam. Their analysis and advice is always the best!

Alex

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 12:31 PM

Alex, Holly, and Sam, Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies and welcomes. The responses have made me think - good for the little grey cells, re. the cookie background. Either way, it's a learning exper..  All replies were encouraging and I do look fwd. to this forum and the artists/artwork for 2013. 

Sam, I should have remembered to inc. the media...an oops. These were watercolor. Again, I do apprec. all your thoughts and time to reply.

Oh, yes, my avatar is a self-portrait done in crayon, approx. 11" H., on much faded paper by now...inc. red pig tails (not ears) done in Kindergarten grade. Smile

Kim

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:05 PM

Kim such good paintings and on such small ones too.  I don't see where the cookies need to be lighter.  The cookies look very real yet like a painting and not a photo.  Same with the bread painting.  I would think painting the fresh sliced end of the bread to be a task especially so small but you have done a fine job.  Oh by the way welcome to the group.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:16 PM

Alex great job on the cardinal.  The extra colors blues and yellows sets it off.  Too many people want to only use red but the extra color sets it off.  I have been watching the cardinals for the last few days.  It has snowed here three time within the last week.  The snow brings the cardinals to the feeder.  It isn't unusual to see 15 or 20 at the feeder or in the trees in the yard.  My favorite is the female she has such subtle beauty.  In the summer plumage she has a slight olive tint to her feathers.  I guess thats to help her blend in when she is on the nest.  Enough of my ramblings you have done a great job and in miniature too.  Looks like Sandi is going to have computation this year.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:17 PM

Nice avatar Marsha

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 1:27 PM
Oh boy do I have catch up to do! You have all been so busy this month and I have been gone. Soooooooo! SAMMY I love your version of the woody Santa. He has such a jolly face and twinkling eyes, and yet there is still something of the wooden one in his centre. You are good with those oil pastels. this would make a good card for next year. I like you idea of a timer and moving around as I have the same sort of trouble with my arm and need to move more before I rust away.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 23 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  21 22 23 24 25  Next > | RSS