ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 6:06 AM

Catherine, kuddos to you for trying again.   you are on the right track.   if you are unable to find the other picture I posted just let me know.  I will send it to you.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,920
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 10:34 AM

Catherine, I have taken two small courses from the same instructor and at the end of the second course she told me I should probably do each painting three times. Although I didn't want to hear that when you put the time into the first attempt  the advice was good for me because of all the different aspects of a painting, perspective, colour, tone, warm/cool, drawing etc. The list is long and It is hard to get all these right in one try (even for professionals).  Good for you in taking a new look at this one.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 6:09 PM

Marsha- Just to let you know that I had started on your Challenge and one thing or another had obstructed my effort. I will be busy for awhile and will attempt to finish it in the future.

This is not a complete drawing, it's only a sketch that will be a road map for my coloring.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,305
on 23 Dec 2012 7:13 PM

MARSHA, your photo selection for December was wonderful - it challenged us in so many ways, a real learning experience. I'm hoping to try at least one or two more between Christmas and the New Year.

SAM, no one puts color down as beautifully as you do. Your Santa's skin and beard are just amazing. I sent a friend to your blog telling her your work is "luminous," and that same quality is evident with the Santa.

CATHERINE, your portrayal of the monochromatic bridge is lovely; my favorite part is the reflections. I'm impressed and envious at all the work you're turning out and the leaps you're making.

I'm just completing a portrait of my granddaughter (her Christmas gift) and hope to post it on Challenge Chatter tomorrow. My grandson's gift is considerably easier - Legos!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 7:32 PM

oh Sandi This will be darling.   Ellipses, hands and candles,  how exciting.  this will be a fund painting for you to do.  If I might make a suggestion before you start.  watch the cake on the right it looks a bit like it is off the plate on the back side of the cake.   I will look forward to the finished piece.  I hope you have a wonderful time with your company.   just check in with us now and then... as you already know we can still finish after the new year as well.   I still have an October one I want to finish.   the one where my ink smeared.

Jen:  I miss you,   I'm here as well.   I hope you are busy and having a wonderful holiday season.  

I am working on a piece but taking my time on it as I was really busy with my music stuff.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,305
on 23 Dec 2012 7:37 PM

Catherine, I want to echo your comments on learning from this group. My only previous art instruction came from the three 5-session art classes I took at the county art museum when I lived in L.A. for 18 years - and those classes were the only times I drew. The amount I've learned from this forum (and especially Sam) comprises my art education and has made a tremendous difference. I'm so grateful for it.

Alex

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,305
on 23 Dec 2012 7:43 PM

Sandi, your tea party drawing is charming and I look forward to seeing it colored. One thought - before you color it in, would it be possible to have a couple of the items overlapping each other? It is so well drawn but that would pull it together instead of it having the appearance if all separate items.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 7:45 PM

Thank you Alex.  I'm glad you like the pictures.   My goal was to really add some challenges.  Hands, candle light, glass reflections, water reflections, perspective,  and the dreaded ellipsis.  I have really enjoyed the responses, it was way more than I expected.  I hope you will let us take a peek at the portrait when you finish.  I'm sure your granddaughter will love it. 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 23 Dec 2012 10:41 PM

Sandi, my first thought was the same as Alex's that the objects are too spread out and could be closer to each other with some overlapping.  This will be a fantastic paintings.  You did a really good job with those ellipses and the teapot.  Enjoy your company and don't stay away too long.  Post some of your miniatures for our viewing pleasure.

Alex, thank you for your kind words about my work.  Oil pastels are very vibrant.  I love the effect.  Your comment reminded me to put Santa on my blog.  I am glad that you feel you have gleaned some understanding about art from me.  That makes my day. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 24 Dec 2012 5:48 AM

I finished my landscape  9 x 12 stonehenge white,   colored pencil. 

Merry Christmas Eve

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,305
on 24 Dec 2012 6:17 AM

Marsha, what a wonderful landscape! With all the nods to this month's photos in it - the snowy owl, ermine, cardinal, bristle pine, squirrel - it's like an Advent calendar with tiny presents! You used several clever devices to make things pop, including placing the snowy owl and ermine on touches of color. Two other things you've done are SUGGEST detail instead of trying to draw every detail and make things that are farther away out of focus. Lovely!

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,920
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Dec 2012 7:41 AM

Marsha, this landscape is wonderfull. I love the way you have incorporated everything as if they are looking out from their snowy world. Such a nice heart warming picture for Christmas Eve.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 24 Dec 2012 8:43 AM

Marsha, what a lovely Christmas in the desert painting.  The tree is decorated with wildlife and the owl and ermine are hiding in the snow.  I found myself searching, fearing that I may have missed something.  Very clever, cute and well done.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 24 Dec 2012 1:54 PM

Marsha all I can say is YesYes

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 24 Dec 2012 1:58 PM

Marsha I love your landscape with all the animals and birds!

Merry Christmas everyone! Gift

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Page 21 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  19 20 21 22 23  Next >  ... Last » | RSS