ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 5:40 AM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date:    December 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note: When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post. We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what. An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts. (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Sam know and she will send instructions to you.)

Sam started Christmas card in November so that we could get a jump on the season.   We can continue the cards the card for a few more weeks.  Or just practice.   These are "Some Of My Favorite Things.."  which will be my theme this month... I hope you will find something you enjoy...

A Woody Santa Monotone...

Bridge

Getting ready to Bake Bread

Kneading Bread

Baked steamed Bread

Christmas Candle

pointsettias

Bristle pine on Mt Charleston 40 minutes from me

Here's lookin' at you babe...

Snow Owl

Winter Cardinal

Nativity baby Jesus

sabbath dradle

White snow challenge

cookies for santa

Now lets relax and have some tea

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 440
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 8:55 AM

WOW, Marsha - What a wonderful selection!  I had to look thru it several times thinking about what I might tackle first.  I am particularly drawn to the cardinal - - my daughter-in-law's maiden name is Cardinal.  Hope I can do it.  Thanks for hosting, Marsha - I just love them all.

Holly

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 11:28 AM

Marsha, I have to ditto Holly that this is a wonderful selection with a variety of subjects to tempt us. Your photos are very nice and clear. I am eyeing the lovely landscapes. I had done a red cardinal that happened to look like this one in your Challenges. I may post it just for fun. Wow! now i have to make up my mind which one to work on. There are many good choices. Thanks Marsha.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 30 Nov 2012 1:18 PM

Marsha, wonderful collection of reference photos.  Great merry smile on Santa's face.  The bread and cookie making photos are great and I particulary like the completed product - breautiful, colorful cookies.  Pretty poinsettias and very interesting tea time photo.  Thanks for posting these wonderful images.

Two things of interest:

1)This is the first that I'm hearing that the reference photos must be approved by Holly.  Is this a new rule?

2) If one creates work using a reference photo, the artist should post it in the Challenge thread where the reference photo was originally posted.  One can do a painting from any Challenge thread going back as far as they like and post their work in that thread.  Once it is posted, that Challenge thread will be moved to the head of the list of threads and everyone will know that new work has been posted there.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 1:31 PM

Sammy -  You are right on both counts!   

1.  Reference photos do not have to be approved by me - in fact, I don't see them at all until they are actually posted - just like the rest of you.

2.  A work created from one of our reference photo really should go in the proper Challenge - - that way we don't get the threads confused.  When we post a painting from one of our past challenges - as in Sammy's old truck photo from December. 2011, I will post in the December 2011 thread and it iwll pop up to the top of the the list, because it is a new post, even of it is an old thread.  We can work on any of the photos in all 26 threads - just post your photo in the same thread as you reference.

If any of you, not just me or Sammy, has an issue that needs to be directed to Courtney, then you are more that welcome to contact her directly - - she is ususally VERY prompt in responding and is very helpful.

I can't believe that December is almost here - - - I'm still wondering what happened to June, etc.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 4:56 PM

Very nice Marsha.  A great variety to choose from and posted early too.  Yes

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 5:53 PM

WOW  it is up...  I realize there are many to choose from but gee who could decide,   I've been putting this together for months and I have about 25 more so making choices was difficult.    Have fun.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 10:19 AM

Hi all- I can't help but post this Red Cardinal . It's Oil Pastel and I don't remember what prompted me to do it, only remember that it's a fast job probably two or three hours.  So I will choose something else to do from this challenge.

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 1:05 PM

Sandi,  What a nice cardinal.  is this a miniature in oil as well?   He looks as though he just noticed whoever took the picture an was just a bit startled....  good job.   I know it is something you did a while back as you said so there won't be a critique from me. 

When you host these things are you supposed to critique or just post the pictures and let the others critique? 

someone let me know.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 3:57 PM

Marsha- Thanks for your nice comment.and no it's not a miniature. If it is I would be spending probably a month or two to finish it b/c we have to build up the paint several times. Sometimes it takes up to ten to fourteen layers for the paint to hold and give it luminosity. And I would do it with oil paint and I have to wait for it to dry between the layers. The humidity and atmosphere of Florida are not helping us at all.

This is an oil pastel on Gesso coated watercolor paper. size 11"X15" but the image size is 8"X10". I think it is from one of the Challenges of a bird and I chose to paint the red cardinal instead of the bird in the reference.

If you are a host, it's nice for the host to comment and critique each submitted artwork BUT I don't think there is any set rule about it. It's just the custom that we do. Any one else if we feel like doing C&C we just jump right in. I think the more people participating in C&C, it is the more fun and the painter will probably appreciate the attention, I know  I would.

Any one else has any other information re C&C for Marsha?

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 4:38 PM

Beautiffully done Sandi my next project [when I get to the art store] will be oil pastels I love the look and the way they blend this is a great example

James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 1 Dec 2012 6:48 PM

Marsha, as Sandi said there are no rules about how to host the Challenge.  When I host, I feel that it is my responsibility to monitor the thread, commenting and critiquing each painting posted so that no artist goes unnoticed. 

Sandi, I do remember this cardinal.  The red pops against the green background.  Nicely done. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 8:38 PM
Great references Marsha. I like all those hands but they will probably be a nightmare to do. Might just have a go anyway! Thanks for hosting you have certainly given us a lot to think about!! :)

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 8:40 PM
Sandi, lovely Cardinal he looks so happy in his colourful world. I like how you have the light too.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 8:46 PM

Nice cardinal Sandi.  I am thinking awfully hard about the owl myself.  I love owls especially snowies.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 1 of 25 (370 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS