creating stone work

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
em13 wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 7:56 AM

Hi all.  i'm new to this forum and new to actually getting advice on painting in general. i've painted for many years as a way of therapy and it has been my joy for as long as i remember.  i'm now doing it more consistently then ever and am working towards showing some of my work at an art show soon.  so for the first time I am actually trying to achieve more difficult or technical things in my work.  i've been practicing on textures and on the painting i'm doing now I'm trying to achieve a look of stone work.  its to be a room with a window and a girl escaping the room.  it's far from close to done, but i'm trying to get the room to look as it is made of stone.  Can anyone give me advice as to how to achieve this?  you can see where i have done several layers of acrylic, some straight and some watered down.  i have sprayed the canvas with water and the blotted with textured napkins.  i think i'm working in the right vein but like i said, i have had no training and all of you are quite talented so i thought i would take a shot and ask for advice.  thanks in advance to anyone reading this far and for any advice given. :)  cheers.

please excuse the quality of photo.  its from my phone.  my regular camera recently died a tragic death and has not been replaced.  

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Beatty wrote
on 5 Nov 2012 6:01 AM

Hi Em,

I am not expert by any means. That said, if I was you I would take a good look at real stone if you get the different values and textures and shapes right,your painting should read stone. Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,775
peebee44 wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 6:19 PM

Hi em13,

On page three of this section I have a post called "Shopping".

Although it is not big enough to study, the stone effect on the wall and gutter

was created by scumbling wet on wet with various colours, in your case

different shades of gray adding touches of ochre or umber to change the tones.

when dry flick dirty water onto the gray letting this run haphazardly and stippling

parts. It takes practice but this is how I created ageing effects in my career as a

scenic artist for Movie World. The more subtle changes in the grays the better

the finish. A bit long winded but hope it helps.

Paul

www.acrylic-artist.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
millerandrea wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 6:14 AM

If you want to get some suggestion and advice for making an attractive art print so you are at the correct place now, there is many members on this forum community and i hope any experienced member will reply for you unique advice.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS