"Drawing XIV"

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,097
Points 49,350
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 12:55 PM

"Drawing XIV" 18" x 24" pastel on newsprint, 11-01-2012.  This was for a Life Drawing class, a 45 minute tone study.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 245
uberzilla wrote
on 10 Nov 2012 10:52 AM

Hello Charlie,

Nice effort. The human form is a popular challenge to many artists because of the complex subtitles. No one ever gets good enough (that could be said for all aspects of art - but very much so in figurative work). I did a little mark up with a couple of tips. One is that learning the anatomy will help. Some artists have such a good eye that as long as they have something to look at - they can draw it convincingly. I would contend that if an artist wants to be good at figures -  without model reference, they need to know the structure. Knowing the underlying mechanics will also help when you have a model or picture reference. The other tip has to do with simplified shapes. I broke the head down into simple shapes for the example. It will help you to get a drawing started in a solid direction - and you can add details later on - once proportions are correct. Note: The simple shape thing works when you learn to visualize, in your mind, the simple shapes - as they rotate (models head is turned - therefore the *cheekbone area facing me shows more surface area - while the other cheekbone that is now facing away shows less). You will begin to master the figure when you can see the 3 dimension shape(s) in your mind

*technically known as the zygomatic arch.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 245
uberzilla wrote
on 10 Nov 2012 11:47 AM

Hello Charlie - in my haste I made a mistake - note the change of the ball end of the femur - of the folder leg. Now it is shown rotated outward.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,097
Points 49,350
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 9:30 AM

Thank you, uberzilla.  This is the hardest class I have taken.  We did do a front  and a side figure and than did a overlay transparency of the skeleton over that. I did not do well with that.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 245
uberzilla wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 11:48 AM

The human figure is probably the toughest thing there is to do in art - so don't sweat it.

The biggest over all tip I can give you (at the stage you are at) is to worry more about proportions - one example the lower legs are too short - and worry less bout detail - literally. If you literally just concentrate on that, and you figures look like manikins (breaking the figure into simple shapes) - but end up with good proportions - you will save yourself time in the long run. Too often people get caught up in details - and fail at the critical foundation (the proportions). It's like deciding what sort of trim you are going to put on the outside of a house you want to build - before building a solid foundation. Once you get the hang of proportions - then worry about superficial details - like skin folds and other masses. 

Then again - if you get bitten by the bug - of human figure drawing - you will realize this (proportion first - details second) sooner or later - and you will curse the day you got bitten by the bug ... LOL - figure drawing is one of the most rewarding and frustrating things I have taken up.

So learn to visualize the figure, as simplified 3 dimensional shapes in you mind. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 245
uberzilla wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 7:45 PM

One last example - sorry - stumbling across this reminded me of my time - way back: Your instructor will brow beat you on proportion and foreshortening (which is perspective). If you start you figures in simplified shapes - working out the proportions, and foreshortening first - even if it leaves little or no time for detailing - I suspect your instructor would be pleased (for the same reasons mentioned in my previous post - foundation first).

Good luck in class!

P.s. - sorry for how scribbly the stuff is - little time to do it

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,097
Points 49,350
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 8:08 PM

Yes, I have  bitten by the bug.  I have the tendency to hurry too much.  Also I have a lot of trouble with getting the proportions right.  I get frustrated over it.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS