Challenge #25 - November 2012

This post has 245 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 6:06 AM

Those ideas sound good both of them.   Some printers take card stock.  I like Sam's idea of making up your own envelope.   you can use scrapbook tape to enclose it and then use a sticker for the final flap..

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 14 Nov 2012 7:51 AM

Marsha, you are painting up a storm!!!  Sorry that this one was hard.  Nonetheless, you did a super job with it.  Those balls look so shiny and round due to the highlights and shadows.  Great reflections in the copper.  I like the two red balls that tend to move one's eye around the painting. Good job with a difficult subject.

Jen, there is a good chance that I may make a flat card that doesn't open.  The message will be on the back.

We will be traveling Friday morning through Tuesday evening to see the great grandchildren.  I am going to do a big show on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  After all this is behind me, I may be able to give some thought to card making.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 4:35 PM

Marsha the Christmas balls look bright and shiny but your copper bucked looks dull.  Maybe if you would have added bright highlights like you did with the ball it would have looked more polished. Nice picture.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 6:24 PM

Interesting Geri,   I did have those highlights then at 3:30am I made a change and forgot to put them back.   I posted this originally at 4:30am...   plum sleepy....   I put them back.  thanks,

Here is the revision..... of "Bright Copper Kettles"  my favorite things....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 14 Nov 2012 7:41 PM

So many wonderful new drawings! Making notes now so I can comment.

This is my Santa on hot press paper with watercolor pencils, gouache, and a rapidograph. about 3.5" wide. There are definitely things I would change/improve if it were erasable, but I decided not ot wait for perfection and to go ahead and post it ...

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 14 Nov 2012 7:43 PM

Hmmmm.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 7:58 PM

ALEX:   I love the old fashioned feel of this.  It is precious.  I love the mix of colors and well as the style.    I have the ingredients for a rapidograph piece but have not put it to use yet.   You have given me inspiration to try it.  

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 9:14 PM

Alexandra Spencer:

So many wonderful new drawings! Making notes now so I can comment.

This is my Santa on hot press paper with watercolor pencils, gouache, and a rapidograph. about 3.5" wide. There are definitely things I would change/improve if it were erasable, but I decided not ot wait for perfection and to go ahead and post it ...

Alex When I first opened this I thought what h*** is that and then I figured out it was posted in the portrait instead of landscape.  I turned my laptop side ways and wow there it was.  This is a very nice painting.  I like the softness of the different colors and simple line drawing.  It goes to show you that you don't have to paint or draw with great detail to make a nice picture.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,996
Points 50,390
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 10:22 PM
Thank you Geri for turning Alex' painting as I was having problems getting my eyeballs on it! Alex this is lovely and will make a great card. I like the old fashioned Christmas feel to it.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,996
Points 50,390
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 10:31 PM
Marsha, wow girl you are on a roll! You did a great job on this one capturing all the gloss and sparkle. You are really getting good with WC. Howard and I went out to buy a new phone this evening as I washed my old one! While there we looked at printing paper and found some 110lb white card stock. So I shall try printing my card on that. Just a plain post card type card and make our own envelope. Howard says that is easy so I shall see. Anyway it sounds easy and I can put the Happy Christmas stuff on in Photoshop. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Hopefully I will get it finished at art to tomorrow. If you would like a card just start a conversation as I now have plenty of paper!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 11:07 PM

If you are looking for a way to print your card you can get cards from Avery.  I bought mine from Wally World but Staples. Office Max  and maybe some office supply store should have it i stock.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,996
Points 50,390
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 11:34 PM
Thanks Geri we got mine from Office Max. I'll find out how well it prints after I finish my painting.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 15 Nov 2012 4:08 AM

Alex your newest card looks so soft yet defined. Just beautiful!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 15 Nov 2012 4:30 AM

LOL you all are all high tech and everything with printers and rapidograph ( whatever that might be). I'm just getting ready to do my second Challenge painting and you guys are almost out the door and on to New Years! I'm just taking whatever painting I decide to use, down to our local mom and pop printer shop to have my cards done.I don't send out many cards normally and adding whatever cards people here might like, it shouldn't cost too much.

I'm going to get busy and start the first drawing of the door with the wreath on it. I may not have a finished product I like until after November but we'll see.

And since Geri hasn't even commented on my current challenge picture I may first paint a nice reflective lump of coal just for him!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 15 Nov 2012 6:46 AM

Alex, I was in the same boat regarding studying your painting closely, trying to figure it out.  I'm glad you turned it because it is a joy to behold.  Great, simple lines with wonderful colors.  I envy your ability to apply color so loosely.  It looks so creative and artistic. Fantastic old world Santa.

Jen, colors don't print brightly on card stock unless it is bright white.  At Sam's Club. I buy boxes of RoyalBrites matte photo paper heavyweight.  It comes in boxes of 100 sheets for $10.96 which is just about 10 cents a sheet.  I use it for the prints that I sell and I'll use it for my cards.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 9 of 17 (246 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS