Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 11:46 PM

Hello everyone,,, I bet you thought I dropped off the planet..  I have been extremely busy with doing memorials for three of my best friends and producing the Michael Grimm Show every week plus my regular jazz events.  and producing a Live Recording cd. which as gone to print.  I do get  the emails from this challenge and see that everyone has been busy.   I needed to have some sane time to myself today so I sat down and worked on this color pencil piece of the beautiful horses in this months challenge.  I enjoyed every minute spent doing it.   I have seriously missed everyone....

10x13 Strathmore colored paper

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,888
Points 48,335
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 11:48 PM
Hi Marsha good to see you back here. You have been missed. Just a small point looks like you for got to attach you painting!!! Don't worry we have all done it and you have had some stress. :)

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 11:54 PM

Thanks Jen,,,  I can't believe that was so hard to post...  oh well,  done.... 

Boy you have been on a whirl wind yourself...   we both need our art now....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,888
Points 48,335
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 12:21 AM
Marsha glad it worked! Great job as always on the horses. I like the light and great dimention on the horses too. The wood looks very realistic too. I see you work from your iPad too. It gives great detail and cheaper than printing. Yes I have had a year of joy and sorrow like you, but that is life as you know. I am glad to be home for a while and pick up art again. I am off to Texas in October for Halloween so I am making the most of my time. Hope you can find some more time to enjoy your art. Take care.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 24 Sep 2012 3:02 PM

Marsha, I'm sorry that you have been dealing with so many heavy issues.  You can be sure that you've been sorely missed.  Since you are so good at art and enjoy it so much, I hope that you are able to find more time to create lovely paintings such as these horses.  This is a beautiful piece of art.  The horses features are perfect and the colors are great.  As Jen mentioned, the wood grain looks terrific, also.  Thank you so much for dropping in and sharing this with us. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 26 Sep 2012 5:53 AM

Hello Marsha, I LOVE your painting, I can't believe the horse on the left is made with color pencils!!! Yes

I've been trying to improve my apples but is being a little frustrating so I made another drawing while I wait for inspiration (or patience) Stick out tongue

We are on Spring here!!!

(I know my photo skills are non-existent, and now watching this photo I think maybe my apples look foggy because of the ugly photo I took) Crying

11,5 cm x 17 cm colored pencils and pastels

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 26 Sep 2012 9:01 AM

Lore a cedar waxwing one of my favorite birds..  They have a translucent look about them evan though they of course are not transparent.

You need to add some darks either to the birds back or to the background so that he stands out more.  He almost fades into the background so much that it  looks like a head and wing and no body.  I know that part of this may be the the camera.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 26 Sep 2012 1:22 PM

Lore:  Your cp art pieces are absolutely beautiful.   I love the lightness of them as well as your blending.   I love your perfect Waxwing, you captured how hard it is to see one for real as they do blend in with their surroundings.  you have to listen hard to find them.
What paper or board did you use?

The horse on the left is captured a lot due to the choice of paper,  I let the paper work for me.    I use Cranson Mi-Teintes Touch. along with Rembrandt polycolor  and Rrismacolor pencils.   I got a lot of advice from Sam as she is the Master.   You are a most beautiful artist and I am glad to meet you.... Happy Spring

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 26 Sep 2012 3:47 PM

First of all I want to say that I frequently use Canson Mi-Tientes for my colored pencil work.  There is a smooth side and a textured side.  The smooth side is great for CP and the textured side is excellent for soft pastels.  Examine it closely before starting a painting.

Lore, your cedar waxwing is very easily identifiable.  I have to agree with Geri that he needs to be darker.  All four of my field guides show him with very dark gray wings, a medium to dark gray tail ending in yellow.  There are touches of red, white and yellow on his wings.  His upper back, neck and head including crest are all a medium reddish brown.  His belly is yellowish.  Now you are the artist so you can take whatever liberties you want.  However, he does disappear into the background.  Making the bird darker and leaving the background as soft as you have it, would cause him to stand out and the background to appear distant..  You did a great job on the close flowers and buds using beautiful colors.

These birds arrive in my yard in flocks and attack the holly trees.  A tree covered with holly berries will be bare within minutes of their arrival.  They seem to always be in good sized flocks. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 6:35 AM

Hello everybody!!!Big Smile

Marsha, thanks for your words! I don't know what kind of paper is Stick out tongue I bought a small notebook with blank cream-colored sheets and there is where I made my drawings. All I know is that is made in Argentina and its paper is 100gr/m2 Tongue Tied

Geri yes, I was thinking about that issue, I didn't do anything because I thought that if I make darken the edge of the bird I would have to dark the WHOLE bird Tongue Tied and I like the way it is!! Crying But I'll do something, maybe darken the background...

And Sam SOOOOO the red feathers on the end of its wings WERE real!!! It was SO red I thought it was an addition with photoshop or maybe some kind of error in the image... Right NOW I'll correct it (lucky you! you have such beatiful birds in your area, here we have gulls. And more gulls Crying)

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 7:12 AM

Oh, and when I was 10 or 12 years old I had an art teacher at school who "sermonized" me for using the soft side of a Canson sheet. She said that you NEVERRRRR should use it, that it was the BACK side of the sheet, from that day on I had a (kind of) fear about it. Stick out tongue I never use textured paper because I think you can't do little details in textured paper. Yes... old prejudices.

And the tail of my bird isn't on the picture, it ends were it ends... I just googled "PRIMAVERA" and that's one of the nicest pictures I found. But now that I know the NAME of the bird I'll find better pictures. COMPLETE pictures Big Smile

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 9:14 AM

Lore the way I look at it if it will give me the look that I am looking for I would use the side of the paper.  There realy arn't any rules in art.  The ones you always are there to help you make nice pictures but if breaking them gives you more of what you are looking for by all means break the rule.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 7:26 PM

Hi Everyone- I have been busy with other art project for awhile until yesterday I squeezed one afternoon for the Challenge and finished it but I will do the comments first:-

Lore--Thanks for giving us your lovely name so we can call you when we make comments.

Your job on the apples is very nice, you made them ethereal like they are floating in the bowl which is  o.k. if that's what you want. I do like the total effect, it looks very artistic. 

Normally if we have some paintings that are not related to the Challenges, we would post it in the Chatter thread and talk about it there. Since you are new, you probably have not been informed.

Joyce--It's good to see your painting again. I love your apples, it's soft and cute. The shadow on the wall is great as well as the bowl. Good job.

Marsha- Good to have you back again. We know you are busy with your occupation and that should come first. When you have some available time for arts, you always produce very good work. This horse painting is no exception. The horses look fantastic and I love the way you do the light on them. The woodgrains look realistic. Well done!

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 7:44 PM

Was going to try and sneak in the colored pencils and try one of these, but there is not enough time for me and MIL keeps watching me go near my supplies. I will look forward to next month's challenge.

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 7:45 PM

Now- I am posting my Pumpkins painting:

Oil Pastel, Erengy and Walnut Hollow Oil pencils with acrylic underpainting

Surface is 140 lbs. watercolor paper coated twice with clear Gesso

Paper size is 9"X12"

Image size 7"X10"

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Page 7 of 10 (144 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS