Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Sep 2012 2:50 PM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – September 2012

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date: September 1, 2012 – September 30, 2012

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note: When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post. We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what. An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts. (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Holly know and she will send instructions to you.)

(To submit photos and suggestions for these challenges, please start a "conversation" with Holly [holland2] here on this forum and attach your photo or photos. OR – volunteer to host the thread for a specific month. Check out the Volunteer Hosting Schedule thread.)

All of the following paintings were obtained from Public Domain.

Happy Painting!

Old Shack - a good opportunity to practice perspective.

Colors of Autumn

Cool, Clear Water (Remember that song?)

Fall's Bounty

Hello Gorgeous!

Stone Bridge

Golden Beauties

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Sep 2012 2:56 PM

I was not able to get a response from Holly so I took it upon myself to post the above photos.  Hopefully, there is something that will appeal to everyone.  Happy painting.

We have a host for every month through the end of the year.  Holly has next month (October).  Hopefully, she will be available.

It would be appreciated if everyone would make an effort to drop in frequently and comment on the work posted.  It's going to take everybody pitching in to make this forum work.  I think I may try the sunflowers in watercolor batik.  It has been interesting to see some of you branch out into various mediums.  It is exciting to see you grow and develop as artists.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Sep 2012 7:21 PM

Sammy- Wow! You offered so many wonderful choices for us to do. I am back from my trip and will be dropping in more frequently. Love the old shack but I think Fred is probably eyeing it already. The water Fall is cool and refreshing but I am not good at painting water. Maybe it's a challenge that I should do. The Apples photo is deliciously appealing and it is up my alley. The horses are so cute and the Stonebridge is beckoning. Flowers are beautiful and challenging. What's a girl to do? That is a question!

Thank you for your great selection. I hope we all are back in town from summer vacation or business trips, family visitation trips, etc. I know for sure Jen is back home but she has to switch gear into painting mode first. So let's get going. Start your engine People! Let's paint!

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Sep 2012 7:31 PM

I missed the Autumn fruits,, Autumn.. who said Autumn. Oh no it really is getting to be Autumn. My gosh.. how time flies! We can't miss the Pumpkin. My two granddaughters always go to the Pumpkin farms in the Fall. So I might have to consider the Autumn fruits too.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Sep 2012 9:57 PM

Thanks, Sandi.  Welcome back.  I hope you do manage to do paintings using one or two of the reference photos as a starting point. Looking forward to seeing them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 2,275
on 3 Sep 2012 1:40 PM

Thanks Sammy. Good job on the photos's. I'll make it a point to do at least one on this. I've ben doing some waterfalls, so that's an option. The bridge, the old cabin, there's several ones there that I might do.

Of course I still have yet to finish the young girl picking up rocks....but I'll get it done this month as well.

Dave

AKA Grizzly Painter...

C&C Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Sep 2012 7:34 PM

Sammy I am glad that you took the lead on this months challenge.  You have some interesting photos here.  I will have to do some thinking here as which one to start with.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,963
Points 49,805
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Sep 2012 12:25 PM
Sammy thanks for chipping in. There are a great variety of pictures to choose from so hopefully everyone will have a go. I hope Holly is just off having fun and forgot the time , easy to do when retired, and not unwell. I don't know why but the new Challenges never show up in my e-mail like other posts. I just have to go and check for them. Strange.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Sep 2012 12:38 PM

Jen, nothing shows up in my email anymore, not even private conversations.  I have to check in to see what's happening.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,963
Points 49,805
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Sep 2012 1:05 PM
I think there is a place in your profile that asks if you want the e-mails you might check out there first. I get all the others but no notice of a new Challenge. Or the comments about them. Maybe it just doesn't come through in the same way as e-mails. Once I have commented they come through just fine. I just have to remember to check at the beginning of a the month.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 8:53 AM

Hi my name is Jean. I love watercolors paints and pencils. As you can see I have a ways to go. Youir comments are very much welcomed to help me progress in this medium.  Enjoyed the selections to paint. I may do one more, if I have time. Smile

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 3:16 PM

Hi Jean ,very nice work  Curiosity Confirms Life on Mars Limited palett w/c using Burnt sienna deep,cad orange vermilion.venetian red on 1/4 sheet 140# rough paper

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 3:19 PM

I forgot to mention this was adapted from  the old barn

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,963
Points 49,805
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 3:56 PM
Hi Jean and welcome to our group. We are a friendly bunch but many of us have been gone busy with family and such through the Summer. Hopefully we will all trail back soon. You have a good feel for your WC pencils and you have captured the apples well. I like the foliage and the sense of dilapidation in the barn, nice job on the sunflowers too. My best advice is really look at your values and push the contrast of lights and darks. The quickest way to get where you want is keep painting. I should probably get down and start too! Hope you will come back and do some more with us. You can do any of the other challenges too as they never run out. Just post them in the challenge you see them. Some of us are not very fast so we get to them when we can. Just have a look through and see what else appeals.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,963
Points 49,805
Turps245 wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 4:00 PM
Fred, are the bears waving to the new Mars rover. I forgot it's name. They seem pretty excited must be all that red rock warming their toes! I think the monochromatic colour works well giving it an other world feel.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 10 (144 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS