Test...test....test....

This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 18 Jul 2012 4:49 PM

I've tried to start an intro thread twice, so far, and it tells me that the post needs some type of approval prior to posting. I've submitted it twice, over a 5 or 6 day period, and my post still is not showing. I figured I'd shoot this one out there and see if this winds up being posted.

Terry

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 18 Jul 2012 4:56 PM

Ok....I've tried two more attempts at the intro post and all of them say they need moderator approval. Apparently this forum doesn't like images to be linked or embedded from Photobucket.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 18 Jul 2012 5:06 PM

Ok...I found the post about how to add images and did as it told me to, and the thing still went to Never-Never Land for moderator approval. Maybe we'll see these other posts in the next week or two.  Surprise

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 20 Jul 2012 3:42 PM

Let me test this out, again.....

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 20 Jul 2012 3:48 PM

It appears that my images were too large, for one.....

Hello, everyone.

I had never really tried to paint, as I always seemed to have troubled with shading using colors. I took charcoal drawing lessons when I was in elementary school, some thirty years ago, but have never been able to draw people or animals. Recently, my daughter got an acrylic painting set, and after the last several years of watching old Bob Ross reruns, I figured I'd give it a try. I just started painting about two weeks ago, and these are my first five paintings.....

This was my first attempt. I had no idea what to paint and it just fell together as I went along. I quickly found out that there are some things I definitely need to work on...

I kind of liked the way the little waterfall looked in the first painting, so I found a picture of a local waterfall and tried to freehand the whole thing. I found out that I definitely need work with painting water...

I decided to try something completely different, and since I my mother likes lighthouses, I found a picture of one on the internet that I thought I could paint and painted it freehand (except for the outline of the lighthouse). I did it a bit different than the one in the picture I had, but I liked the way this one came out...

Once, again, I figured I'd try something even more different than what I had done previously, so I found a picture of some mountains in Monument Valley and thought I'd try this out. My colors are greatly exaggerated, and I found it difficult to arrange the eroded sides of the mountains...

I watched several videos of making snow-capped mountains and tried the trick of using a small scraper to try to get the snow and form the mountain. I failed miserably twice, scraped all the paint off, and was about to just throw the thing away. I decided I'd work on the foreground to see how that would come up while using a technique to do boulders that I saw on YouTube. I liked the foreground enough that I went back with a fan brush and doctored up the mountain until it looked halfway decent...

The last one I have done is a coworker's Mooney M20J, single-engine airplane that he let me fly a few weeks ago. I gave the original of it to my coworker...

I think I'm going to attempt a castle, next. I'm starting to think about taking lessons to figure out what I'm doing wrong...and possibly doing right.

- Terry

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
DanG321 wrote
on 22 Jul 2012 7:47 AM

your doing great for someone that has just started painting!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 22 Jul 2012 2:25 PM

Thanks! I'm starting to think I would do better if I had some formal training on this, as I seem to have limited understanding of the tricks involved in painting. I am trying to get the hang of thinking of painting in layers, and it is a challenge trying ot think of what should be painted first.

I started on this castle a couple of days ago and the layering is obvious in the unfinished project. I'm going to spend forever on the castle, as only the base colors are being laid down now and will do the block work later. I won't even attempt the foreground until the castle is completed. I hate to think of how many more hours I have left in this one, as I've already sunk a bunch of time into it, so far.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 23 Jul 2012 2:19 AM

I seem to be having a bit of free time on the weekends, lately, so I took a break from the castle painting and threw this beach scene together.....

I probably won't paint again until next weekend, if I have no other plans....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,169
Points 23,445
jcurry wrote
on 24 Jul 2012 5:42 PM

Terry,  I had the same problem of the picture being "too big".  Soon found a way to "compress" to make the size fit the requirement.

I really like your painting of the "Mooney M20J".  I'm sure your coworker  was thrilled to have it.  I also like the lighthouse.  It seems you and I have a similar problem with "landscapes".  I see it in my head but just can't seem to master the "real look" effect on canvas.  Lessons, with the right instructor, would be helpful and could be a lot of fun.  I am not a big fan of what I call "collective instruction" ie Bob Ross although he is good and better than nothing.  I think it's better to give an aspiring artist something real to look at and let him give his own  interpretation of "something". Basics such as lighting, depth, shadowing, color blending, etc. are better than a row of the same picture.   Some friends and I took some lessons from a Bob Ross certified teacher and we had her freaking out each time we veered off on our own and didn't do exactly like she did.  It's still amazing for a beginner I think.  Keep up the good work and have fun!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 28 Jul 2012 1:14 AM

jcurry:
 It's still amazing for a beginner I think.  Keep up the good work and have fun!

Thanks! This is all new and fun for me. I think I need some type of instruction to learn some basics and then branch out and find my own interpretation. I would like a little more realism in my painting, but I'm afraid of becoming obsessed with perfection and getting frustrated VERY quickly. I used to be that way with learning the guitar and quit many times before I simply gave up on making the songs sound exactly as it was in the recorded song. When playing the songs of others, people could always tell it was me playing, but I often secretly envied those players who could make the songs sound exactly like the original, right down to the tone and phrasing of the notes.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 5 Aug 2012 9:54 PM

I found a picture on the Internet that my wife liked, so I decided to paint it. I changed a couple of small things from the picture, and this is what it turned into....

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 250
naefrond1982 wrote
on 21 Sep 2012 10:04 AM

Amazing paintings, man Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 8:48 PM

This is my most recent finished painting from a few weeks ago.....

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 8:51 PM

I started this one yesterday. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow or the next day...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,835
Points 53,430
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 9:17 AM

You need to post your finished works on the "Member Art" gallery for all to see.  They are VERY good.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://www.facebook.com/CharlieGunnArtist    My Art Work

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS