Challenge #21 -- July, 2012

This post has 69 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 12:27 PM

Welcome to  ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – July, 2012

Challenge:   Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure.   In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date:   - July 1, 2012 –  August 1, 2012

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.  Remember to choose “Email notification” to keep up with what is happening.

Another posting note:  When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post.  We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what.  An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts.  (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Holly know and she will send instructions to you.)

(To submit photos and suggestions for these challenges, please start a "conversation" with Holly [holland2] here on this forum and attach your photo or photos.  OR – volunteer to host the thread for a specific month.  Check out the Volunteer Hosting Schedule thread.)

Happy Painting!

Challenges: July is a time of Celebration of our independence.  I hope these photos give you spectacular inspiration..   Be Independent and try different ways to use them  Then try it in another medium or incorporate two or more into one,  or try a style you haven’t tried before.  Be BRAVE and independent…  Most of all have fun!!

Marsha

I took this picture at a craft shop on a metal table

American Bald Eagle

I took this picture in a hobby store

Ya gotta go on a picnic...

and have a Hot Dog.... and some

Watermelon...

July Flower is a Larkspur

Ya gotta go camping and fishing ( This is my grandson and his faithful dog)

my grand daughter collecting pebbles

and one more for fun

just Rags    Have Fun....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 12:42 PM

WOW, Marsha - these are great!  Hopefully, I will soon feel well enough to partcipate, too.  I love them ALL, but I especially like the eagle,  Your granddaughter is just beautiful and your grandson with his dog is classic (- - we have a very, very OLD golden retriever - she will be 15 this month!)  The hat and the picnic basket sort of remind me of Sammy - I guess it's the hat.

Thanks for all these great photos - - I'll bet everyone will find several to play with this month!

Holly

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 1:12 PM

Thank you Holly I was really hoping you would be the first to reply...

I hope your health is improving...   Try singing,,,  its great for the lungs...

I can't wait to see how folks interpret some of these photos. 

This is his second Golden, the first one died due to jumping off of something pretty high and injured his back and became paralyzed.   sad...  he was the MOST amazing golden... They are truly wonderful.  I have the whole series of these two while they are fishing or at the ocean, they are inseparable.  I did the one picture cp of jackson and his dog eating smores....  and doing homework together.

I hope Sammy does the hat..... it is her....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,933
Points 49,205
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 1:47 PM
Thanks Marsha, great pictures! Holly we really miss you. Get well soon. Not sure when I will get to do any of these, will be with the grandsons for a while! Too pooped to do a thing at the moment!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 2:18 PM

Marsha- These are really beautiful photos inviting you to paint/draw. Love the wind-swirling hair of your granddaughter and the serene scene of your grandson and his companion. The Bald Eagle looks so serious and tempting, the flower is too trying for me. I will leave the hotdog, watermelon and the rags to the guys and of course the hat to Sammy.

Thanks for posting.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 9:24 PM

9" x 12" Waterecolor, abstract painting by  asusanrae on July 1st, 2012. Truly an abstract from my imagination, but was in a Celebration mood today. I've missed this group and hope to be a part of it again.  Thank you, Susan or asusanrae

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 9:38 PM

WOW are you ever in a festive mood Susan...!!!   Great Job.  your the first one to provide a piece of art....  I like the part where the flag is in the shape of the US.. and the fireworks are right on....  congratulations.... and welcome back.....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 1 Jul 2012 11:27 PM

Marsha, you put a lot of thought into these reference photos and you made excellent selections.  The eagle is beautiful.  I do like the picnic basket and the watermelons and the two darling photos of your grandchildren.  What a neat abstract those rags will make.  Of course, I've always wanted a painting of a hot dog.  Looking forward to seeing the resulting paintings.

I don't usually use the reference photos for paintings because I wouldn't be able to enter the paintings in shows.  All the shows here stipulate that the work must be original and conceived entirely by the artist.  I'll have to give some thought to how I would like to make changes and make it my own.

Holly, it is so good to hear from you.  I'm sorry that you haven't been well.  Get well soon and come back and play with us.

Susan, welcome back.  You put a lot of thought into your patriotic painting.  There is good movement in this work and I also like the U.S. shaped flag.  Well done.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Jul 2012 4:15 AM

SAM - LOL didn't we all want a portrait of a hot dog????   but think of it as a picasso maybe...  I think you are correct,  I will try to replace that one.... tee hee...  your funny...

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 2 Jul 2012 6:38 AM

No, Marsha, don't replace it.  It's a good photo and a different idea.  Come to think of it, who wants paintings of Campbell soup cans or clocks melting and dripping off the wall.  I was just joking and don't want you to replace it.  I truly think you did a great job.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,525
Points 24,455
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Jul 2012 8:29 AM

This is my first entry for the month.  The dog has issues but I thought the boy came out good for me.  I have trouble with people I guess I need to draw them more.  Well here it is for what its worth.  8x10 charcoal on Strathmore pastel paper.  Please feel free to comment

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 2 Jul 2012 9:10 AM

Susan  you have posted not only a appropriate but also an awe inspiring work of art the fireworks are fantastic  the map fits so well 

Geri you are way to hard on yourself this is very well done nothing wrong with the retriever

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,525
Points 24,455
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Jul 2012 12:03 PM

Thanks James but the dogs head is too small and he has a barrel chest other than that he is pretty good.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Jul 2012 3:31 PM

Geri,   I really like your charcoal drawing of my grandson and his golden...   I think you captured the moment...  good job.... I like the colors against the colored paper.  what paper did you use?

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,525
Points 24,455
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Jul 2012 4:14 PM

Marsha thank you for your kind words.  The paper that I used is some pastel paper left over from my collage days.  It is a tan color and made by Strathmore.  I don't know if it still available.  ( I graduated in 76)  It came in a spiral bond pad and had 5 or 6 different colors in it.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS