"Tulip"- poster paints and color pencils on paper

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 1,040
sophie grace wrote
on 27 Jun 2012 6:56 AM

hello this is a poster paint and color pencil work on paper .

I liked the lips in it and named as "Tulip" as it complements the facial structure as well as the term lips . I am a self taught painter and I found this space very useful .please leave your comments and feel free to critique as it improves me .

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
mpracht wrote
on 27 Jun 2012 11:04 AM

The gentle coloring and pencil etchings really add to the feel of this.

My only suggestion would be perhaps a greater range of values to keep the figure from looking too flat, but that could just be the artist's choice of style.

Nice work.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 1,040
sophie grace wrote
on 28 Jun 2012 2:27 AM

Big Smile thank you for responding I have been working out on portraits they are my favorite subject .This time I will Incorporate the missing aspects as you said .

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
on 23 Jul 2012 9:49 PM

The eye brow a very intense she is a young face,I think softening them would add to this, I also agree with more tonal values.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 1,040
sophie grace wrote
on 14 Oct 2012 10:10 AM

yes maria I agree with you .thanks for the suggestions .

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 592
Points 5,150
on 14 Oct 2012 11:56 AM

Sophie—

I've viewed all of the recent postings of your work.  It is very good and you have a lot of talent. I am sure you are aware that an artist's development can be a slow process. However, there are times when giant steps can be taken and I think that you are at a point where you can make some vast improvements. 

As good as your work is, I believe you would benefit from studying facial structure and the general anatomy of the head. Your work would have much more dimension and you would be able to draw and paint with much more confidence. 

The best way to begin this next step is to get a couple of good books on drawing the head. Use them as work books. Try to understand the head as a 3 dimensional form,  learning the structure of the features. My guess is that, with study and practice, you will see great improvements in as little as six months.

One of the best books for this is "Drawing the Human Head" by Brune Hogarth. Another is "The Artists Guide to Drawing the Head" by William Maughan and there are several more. You can buy either of them through Amazon.

If you are serious about art, you know that it is a never-ending learning process. What I am suggesting is the next step in that  process.

Keep up the good work,
Paul

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 1,040
sophie grace wrote
on 15 Oct 2012 8:27 AM

Sir,

thanks a ton for taking your precious time and commenting on my work.

I absolutely agree with all you said, I have been trying to take things to another level and improve my skills. Though I like to paint landscapes I am particularly interested in portraiture. Being a self taught and with no training ,progress has been slow but I am trying my level best to acquire knowledge about the key aspects in such a stage the books that you suggested will be really helpful to me I am really thankful to you .

At present I am referring the "student's guide to painting by Jack Faragasso" and the free e books in this site.

I will sure attain the books you referred as soon as possible and improve my skills .

once again, thank you so much sir,

have a nice art time

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS