Low tide

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,850
peebee44 wrote
on 23 Jun 2012 6:15 PM

100cm x 75cm on stretched canvas

Painted this one this week. Used two photos to create the scene ( top & bottom )

Paul

www.paulbennettfineart.com

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
KatyG@4 wrote
on 14 Jul 2012 10:53 AM

I've never posted on this site before, been a member for a long time though but forgot about it :) I do recognize you from Wetcanvas. I'm trying to learn acrylics, but living in NM makes it even more of a challenge, but I won't give up.

The water looks so real. How do you paint such smooth passages? I get about 3 strokes and then the paint is dry. This isn't bad for all techniques but it is when trying to get a smooth passage.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,850
peebee44 wrote
on 14 Jul 2012 5:20 PM

Hi Katy, thanks for your comments.

I use the wet palette system and do all those type areas with thinned out washes (I only use water).

Occasionally misting my palette with a spray bottle to keep moist. I do work very quickly so that helps.

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 20 Jul 2012 3:22 PM

I really like this painting and all the others you have listed on your site. I just started painting about three weeks ago and am having an interesting time with acrylics as I try to learn some tricks. I have a difficult time with getting my shading to not have hard tone lines between shades, but I have noticed that if I keep the brush slightly wet and thin down the paint a little, I can get smoother shading transitions.

Out of curiosity, about how long does it take you to paint something like this? I did a 28cm x 36cm (11"x14") lighthouse with no where near the detail you have here, and it took me more hours that I care to count.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,850
peebee44 wrote
on 20 Jul 2012 6:16 PM

Hi K-K, Thank you for your comments. I like to work quickly and blend wet on wet and sometimes scrub with a dry brush. Nearly always I add a water thin wash of colour over the blends when they are dry just to soften.

This painting took about 15 hrs over three days. Except for portraits most of my paintings are completed within 4 days.

Paul

www.acrylic-artist.com

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 20 Jul 2012 7:52 PM

I wish I had a portion of the quality and detail as yours.....in twice the time. I'm hoping to try to complete at least one painting every two weeks, and maybe I will continue to improve for a while. I can only hope.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,850
peebee44 wrote
on 20 Jul 2012 11:22 PM

K-K, it's an old cliche but practice, practice,practice, I've been painting with various mediums for over 40 years so I've had a long time to learn and I'm still learning as I only started with acrylics last year. I now paint exclusively with acrylics. The best advice I can give you is "study your subject then paint  what you see not what you think you see". If you are keen enough you will learn with every painting you do.

Good luck

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 215
khmgb wrote
on 11 Aug 2012 3:53 PM

I like that. It is very realistic and technically very well done....Yes

Karl

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,850
peebee44 wrote
on 11 Aug 2012 5:29 PM

Thanks Karl, I'm really enjoying acrylics.

Paul

www.acrylic-artist.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS